Noam Chomsky: 'In a couple of generations, organized human..

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 12:38 am

Noam Chomsky: 'In a couple of generations, organized human society may not survive.'

Quote:
And it’s an urgent requirement. I start my classes these last couple of years by simply pointing out to the students that they have to make a choice that no one in human history has ever made. They have to decide whether organized human society is going to survive. Even when the Nazis were on the rampage, you didn’t have to face that question. Now you do.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/0 ... YGsBZ39FbQ

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 7:46 am

When Mr Chomsky speaks, you ought to listen. What a wonderful man - and still going at ninety.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 2:12 pm

I've read several of his books, and have watched many of his lecture -- a brilliant mind.

He's spot on when he says the liberal media is reporting anything of real substance on the topic of climate change. And of course anyone who's really paying attention the Democrats are doing squat when it comes to addressing this crisis.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 6:36 pm

None of this is news. I agree Chomsky is intellectually brilliant, and if that causes more people to "wake up" that would be good. But nothing he said in the interview is new or shocking. It is just reality.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 6:42 pm

blazingstar wrote:
None of this is news. I agree Chomsky is intellectually brilliant, and if that causes more people to "wake up" that would be good. But nothing he said in the interview is new or shocking. It is just reality.

Reality which most people are either unaware of, or like several on this forum are intentionally ignoring. So there's value to him drawing attention to these issues.

oscarinthewild
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Feb 2019, 10:15 am

oscarinthewild
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Feb 2019, 10:25 am

oscarinthewild wrote:

we lowkey figured out that Russia isnt particularly interested in this kind of dialect ..

oscarinthewild
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Feb 2019, 4:27 pm

noam chomsky and ann coulter are each others alter ego. taylor swift and kanye west are each others alter ego.

stevens2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2019, 6:11 pm

Well, I always enjoy listening to Chomsky's lectures as they usually are thought provoking.

On the other hand, his rhetoric in the link, like that of many so-called "climate activists," has more than a small resemblance to the way religious fundamentalists present ideas. If you don't believe, you're a heretic.

The problem of climate change is like a lot of other scientific challenges that required coordinated effort to address. The national effort of the 1960's toward space exploration is but one example. As far as politics goes, I find it disturbing that right-wing religious nuts and environmental activists so often display features of religious fundamentalism.

As Michael Crichton has said on many occasions, fundamentalists don't need research or science or inquiry--they know the answer and are going to tell you what you have to do--or else. It will get us nowhere and disguises the similarity between so-called "evangelicals" and left-wing activists.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 6:14 pm

The difference is that there's evidence for climate change - there is no empirical evidence for religion.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 7:42 pm

oscarinthewild wrote:
noam chomsky and ann coulter are each others alter ego.

How you figure that?

Oscar Meyer Lansky

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 10:55 pm

But he's not a climate scientist, so listening to him makes us all hysterical or something. So I've been told on here, recently.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 6:05 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
The difference is that there's evidence for climate change - there is no empirical evidence for religion.

True. But climate change is presented with religious overtones by some nonetheless.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 8:06 am

EzraS wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

True. But climate change is presented with religious overtones by some nonetheless.

I don't disagree at all. It's just that that kind of passion is better spent on something like climate change which, after all, is basically indubitably true, and can therefore improve people's welfare, than on religion.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 8:19 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

I don't disagree at all. It's just that that kind of passion is better spent on something like climate change which, after all, is basically indubitably true, and can therefore improve people's welfare, than on religion.

That kind of passion is often viewed as repugnant by many, so it doesn't have much success at wining over the masses.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 8:28 am

Chomsky is such a decent, quietly spoken, mild mannered sort of man that I don't think any of that applies to him.