Page 2 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 10:28 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Trump doesn't have a speech impediment.

Trump, rather, has a substance impediment.

Quote:
"They're driving in and they're not coming through checkpoints, because you can't have three or four people in the back with tape over your mouths and your hands tied and drive past someone who is checking out your van...The fact is if we don't have barriers, walls, call them what you will, very strong barriers where people can not any longer drive right across. They have unbelievable vehicles. They make a lot of money. They have the best vehicles you can buy. They have stronger, bigger and faster vehicles than our police have and that ICE have and that Border Patrol have. They're pretty good at that. They have areas they go to. It's like a highway."
Donald Trump

Krafti, where's the problem in this? I'm fine with there being one or several. I'm just not seeing it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 10:33 am

I wouldn't care if Trump had a speech impediment. That wouldn't bother me.

If Franklin Roosevelt had a severe stutter, it wouldn't bother me. He was one who actually made "America great again." Even if he had a severe speech impediment, he had excellent substance in what he said.

Trump really doesn't have a prominent speech impediment. He speaks with a rather heavy New York accent, which some find to be some sort of "impediment."

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 10:42 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wouldn't care if Trump had a speech impediment. That wouldn't bother me.

If Franklin Roosevelt had a severe stutter, it wouldn't bother me. He was one who actually made "America great again." Even if he had a severe speech impediment, he had excellent substance in what he said.

Trump really doesn't have a prominent speech impediment. He speaks with a rather heavy New York accent, which some find to be some sort of "impediment."

Okay but I'm not seeing/hearing any speech impediment or word salad or mental illness being displayed

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4772165/driving

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 10:45 am

I never said he did....I think he's sort of a regular guy who is kind of an as*hole. I don't believe he has any mental illness or whatever.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 10:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I never said he did....I think he's sort of a regular guy who is kind of an as*hole. I don't believe he has any mental illness or whatever.

I'm referring to the title of this thread and comments made by others. I'm not seeing what they're saying.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 11:00 am

As another member said in another thread, it's probably better to criticize his policies than to criticize his personal qualities.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 11:57 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Fnord wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Fnord wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Maybe not the right website to be making fun of people's speech patterns ? ...
Perhaps this is not the right website to be an apologist for Trump, either.
This topic is about calling people with unusual speech patterns names like "idiot", and "mentally-ill", because of their unusual speech patterns. This is the abuse that ASD people encounter all their lives. I am "defending" TRUMP, because this is directly offensive to WP members.
No, you are defending Trump because you are a fan of his, and people are saying bad things about him.

This is personal for me.

I have the same problem of "cohesive speech".

I use to write about it on this website. I never learned a name for it.

That's why I am in the STEM field, because I can't function in any job that requires good speech skills.

What you are saying here does not make any sense.

If my best friend were elected POTUS, but my best friend had a mental condition in which he could not translate thoughts to speech in a normal way than my best friend would an ineffective communicator, which would make him ineffective in the arts of leadership, persuasion, and deal making, and diplomacy, necessary for the job of POTUS, and wouldn't be able to do the job. And I would be the first person to tell my best friend that, both in private, and in public.

In other words: its offensive for normal adults to publicly make fun of the village idiot, but if the village idiot gets elected POTUS then its your civic duty to criticize him- criticize him as the POTUS- because of his village idiot traits. Its not the same thing a making fun of the village idiot for being just the village idiot.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 1:30 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Fnord wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Fnord wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Maybe not the right website to be making fun of people's speech patterns ? ...
Perhaps this is not the right website to be an apologist for Trump, either.
This topic is about calling people with unusual speech patterns names like "idiot", and "mentally-ill", because of their unusual speech patterns. This is the abuse that ASD people encounter all their lives. I am "defending" TRUMP, because this is directly offensive to WP members.
No, you are defending Trump because you are a fan of his, and people are saying bad things about him.

This is personal for me.

I have the same problem of "cohesive speech".

I use to write about it on this website. I never learned a name for it.

That's why I am in the STEM field, because I can't function in any job that requires good speech skills.

What you are saying here does not make any sense.

If my best friend were elected POTUS, but my best friend had a mental condition in which he could not translate thoughts to speech in a normal way than my best friend would an ineffective communicator, which would make him ineffective in the arts of leadership, persuasion, and deal making, and diplomacy, necessary for the job of POTUS, and wouldn't be able to do the job. And I would be the first person to tell my best friend that, both in private, and in public.

In other words: its offensive for normal adults to publicly make fun of the village idiot, but if the village idiot gets elected POTUS then its your civic duty to criticize him- criticize him as the POTUS- because of his village idiot traits. Its not the same thing a making fun of the village idiot for being just the village idiot.

This topic is about calling people with unusual speech patterns names like "idiot", and "mentally-ill", because of their unusual speech patterns.

Why do you think people with unusual speech patterns are "idiots" or this represents "mental illness"?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 1:34 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
This topic is about calling people with unusual speech patterns names like "idiot", and "mentally-ill", because of their unusual speech patterns.
No, this is a topic about calling Mr. Trump out for being the worst president this country ever had -- whether or not he is a blithering idiot, mentally ill, an ignoramus, a narcissist, a sociopath, or a pathological liar.

Deal with it.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 1:55 pm

Fnord wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
No, this is a topic about calling Mr. Trump out for being the worst president this country ever had -- whether or not he is a blithering idiot, mentally ill, an ignoramus, a narcissist, a sociopath, or a pathological liar.

Deal with it.

What has been cited as "evidence" is a paragraph of incohesive sentences from a speech.

It's this abnormal speech pattern that is being used to make the case that Trump is an "idiot", "mentally-ill" ....

Just because people have abnormal speech, doesn't make them an idiot, or mentally-ill.

Abnormal Speech Patterns in Autism
https://www.special-learning.com/articl ... _in_autism

Autistic person may exhibit unusual speech pattern
https://www.verywellhealth.com/speech-v ... ion-260566

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 2:20 pm

Well then, your way is clear.

Report this thread to the mods and be done with it.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 2:48 pm

Fnord wrote:
Well then, your way is clear.

Report this thread to the mods and be done with it.

Alternatively, I hope some members chime in about how speech difficulties affect them.

In the short run, giving quick answers, people likely think I am normal.

Eventually, though, they detect that my speech reflects something is wrong with me.

One job interview, one person burst out laughing. In another they slammed their notebook closed when I "gave myself away". I could go on and on.

The two major problems seem to be
1. Saying the right thing. I so desperately want to say the right thing, but what is it? Not always sure.
2. Solid Fluid/cohesive language - I'm great at direct, quick answers. But many people have laughed at me if I have to do long speech where multiple topics need to be cohesively bridged. I don't have that talent. Good NT speakers are like ballerinas in this respect. Even if I wrote it out, it would be stilted, logical, ordered, structured ...

I have always wondered about this ...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 7:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
As another member said in another thread, it's probably better to criticize his policies than to criticize his personal qualities.

If they did that they would sound a lot more rational and credible. I don't have a problem at all with Trump be criticized. It's just that a lot of it is laid on so think it sounds ridiculous. It reminds me of that weird little kid from the Twilight Zone, "He's a bad man! He's a very bad man!".

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 8:05 pm

I normally try to stay out of the US political arguments, but am increasingly dumbfounded by the Trump apologists.
Incoherent speech aside, to me that sounds like he's just making stuff up to suit his point. How true is that comment about them having better vehicles than the police? Seriously?
The man's talking out of his **s.

And yes, I'm biased against him because I think he's a narcissist and a bully, but still, how can people defend him based on that kind of ridiculous argument? When he starts quoting actual facts and real statistics, and shows due consideration of different viewpoints from his own, and argues his case rationally, I might come around to taking him seriously.

It's not that incoherent speech is a problem in a person as such, just that one expects better of the President of the US. One expects him to have the tools to understand the complexities of issues, to persuade people with rational argument and reasoned debate, not to resort to bullying and coercion and shaming others to get his way.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 8:35 pm

Pointing out flaws in reasoning, doesn't equal apologetics.

I know I'm supposed to fall in line with the mob mentality, express unreasoning hatred, and not do any critical thinking. But that's not how my mind works.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 8:44 pm

EzraS wrote:
Pointing out flaws in reasoning, doesn't equal apologetics.

I know I'm supposed to fall in line with the mob mentality, express unreasoning hatred, and not do any critical thinking. But that's not how my mind works.

Yes, you're the only unbiased person here, and that makes you better than everyone. You've told us this many times. You are a logical thinker, truly objective, and we are all emotional hysterics who can't apply reason to anything. Got it.

Now that we've paused to acknowledge it, can you please stop telling us about how totally unbiased you are compared to the rest of us shlubs? It's getting tired.