Why do liberals care more about illegal immigrants?

Page 15 of 19 [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2019, 8:22 pm

EzraS wrote:
So millions of illegal immigrants shouldn't be an issue. Funny how the illegal part in illegal immigrants keeps getting left out.

Crossing the border illegally is only a misdemeanor. Being present illegally in the US is not a crime at all, and many so-called illegal immigrants didn't cross illegally, but rather overstayed their visas.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2019, 1:44 am

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 5:13 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Actually, retro, it was never supposed to be real in the first place. I read an article that said the wall was a fabrication by some campaign advisers who trying to keep trump focused on anti-immigration issues. The crowd responded well to it, so trump kept saying it. Now he can claim it's to satisfy his election promise to his base, but IMO all this wall shutdown nonsense is mainly intended to be a distraction to slow down criminal investigations into him and his family.

I see. So he was trying to distract people from something.

But if Trump never planned to actually build the wall does that mean Trump himself is anti-wall? Does it mean Trump's supporters are supporting a multi-billion promise that's only being built for Trump can save face after what was supposed to be a false promise?

goldfish21 wrote:

That's a good secret weapon but personally I think if the wall is built with Mexican contractors they should put a secret door in the wall. That would be very amusing.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 4:24 am

I see bashing progressives is alive and well on this forum.

Why don't the MAGA people just admit they made a (very) stupid mistake voting in a wealthy bufoon who (still) has no idea what he's doing...

You are contaminating another generation of kids like these
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... smile.html
Little baby fascists in training nappies

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 6:59 am

Progessives vs fascists. Angels vs demons.

Somehow the oversell of we're so wonderful and righteous and they're so icky and evil, comes off as a tad dubious.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 3:55 pm

EzraS wrote:

Somehow the oversell of we're so wonderful and righteous and they're so icky and evil, comes off as a tad dubious.

I wouldn't suggest the left are angels...being progressive doesn't mean carrying a little red book with chairman Mao or subscribing to Marxism like the old days. It means carrying humanity forward (evidently kicking and screaming) by tackling the big issues holding society back from evolving i.e. sustainably managing the environment, protecting native fauna and flora, social equality etc

Treating the planet (and fellow humans) like something to exploit makes us essentially parasitic (lets not sugar coat it) any wonder aliens keep their distance as we have barely evolved beyond something like a termite colony on a wooden structure (that's what human activity looks like from space). Like the termites we pay no heed that the structure we live on will rot away eventually and assume we can find another planet to breed (much like our termite cousins find another wooden structure to colonise)

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 4:06 pm

You expect criminal to do crimes, so even if you feel sad a kid was killed by a criminal, it's less shocking. When the State is the responsible for causing children to die, then it gets a bit more tricky... because nobody expects the State do it.

Also, the whole immigrant committing crimes sound more as a propaganda narrative than real facts, unlike the death of the two children who are actually facts.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 7:53 pm

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I wouldn't suggest the left are angels...being progressive doesn't mean carrying a little red book with chairman Mao or subscribing to Marxism like the old days. It means carrying humanity forward (evidently kicking and screaming) by tackling the big issues holding society back from evolving i.e. sustainably managing the environment, protecting native fauna and flora, social equality etc

Treating the planet (and fellow humans) like something to exploit makes us essentially parasitic (lets not sugar coat it) any wonder aliens keep their distance as we have barely evolved beyond something like a termite colony on a wooden structure (that's what human activity looks like from space). Like the termites we pay no heed that the structure we live on will rot away eventually and assume we can find another planet to breed (much like our termite cousins find another wooden structure to colonise)

It seems like it's all about control and no different really than any other force in history or literature seeking to cleanse and reshape the world.

Seeing control over what people say, how they think, how they conduct their finances, what they eat, what they wear, what expression they're allowed to have etc etc.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 10:11 pm

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

It seems like it's all about control and no different really than any other force in history or literature seeking to cleanse and reshape the world.

Seeing control over what people say, how they think, how they conduct their finances, what they eat, what they wear, what expression they're allowed to have etc etc.

It's about stewardship and responsibility of this planet rather than exploiting every last drop here on Earth.
What you call control is necessary and you'll find that even right wingers agree the world's population is spiralling out of control (although they specifically fear the rise of a "brown" planet).

I can't speak for all liberals but I accept border control and birth control simply in order to protect the remaining natural land/forest + allow sustainable living in the developing world. It would help if western countries stop meddling in the affairs of the developed world which exacerbates their poverty. In this respect China has become the new player taking over from the Americans.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 1:06 am

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

It's about stewardship and responsibility of this planet rather than exploiting every last drop here on Earth.
What you call control is necessary and you'll find that even right wingers agree the world's population is spiralling out of control (although they specifically fear the rise of a "brown" planet).

I can't speak for all liberals but I accept border control and birth control simply in order to protect the remaining natural land/forest + allow sustainable living in the developing world. It would help if western countries stop meddling in the affairs of the developed world which exacerbates their poverty. In this respect China has become the new player taking over from the Americans.

Well there's the nazis are everywhere crisis, which is what I was addressing, and then there's the imminent climate apocalypse crisis which is what you're addressing. I think. I don't remember if you're one of the doomsday is around the corner bunch or not.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 1:57 am

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Well there's the nazis are everywhere crisis, which is what I was addressing, and then there's the imminent climate apocalypse crisis which is what you're addressing. I think. I don't remember if you're one of the doomsday is around the corner bunch or not.

Both problems are worthy of addressing - especially human caused climate change, as that actually affects everyone & everything on Earth.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 2:32 am

The world needs to adhere to a certain ideology or it's doomed.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 2:45 am

Following the Trump era there needs to be an "age of rationalism" to compensate for going backwards globally....

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 4:16 am

cyberdad wrote:
Following the Trump era there needs to be an "age of rationalism" to compensate for going backwards globally....

If I hadn't seen so much irrationality in the last couple of years I might believe that. As it stands
I find it hard to believe those who as a whole have been displaying such enormous melodrama are going to bring about any such thing.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 4:11 pm

It's about human decency & human rights, not a preference for "illegal immigrants."

Now the trump administration says it's too much work to reunite kids separated from their families and so they don't feel like doing it, basically:

https://thegailygrind.com/2019/02/03/tr ... MMChPqP0HE

It's no wonder that normal people are pissed off about this.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 4:15 pm

EzraS wrote:
The world needs to adhere to a certain ideology or it's doomed.

The ideology of respecting science. And yes, if you deny physical facts about our world, it will erase you from history with out a second's thought. The world doesn't care about humanity.