Why do liberals care more about illegal immigrants?

Page 6 of 21 [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 21  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,568
Location: Twin Peaks

16 Jan 2019, 9:24 am

goldfish21 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
This thread is not about climate change.

This one is: viewtopic.php?t=372426

Please do not derail.


It’s about immigrants at the border and thus on topic. Feel free not to respond if you don’t have anything intelligent to say.


Likewise.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 63,860
Location: Queens, NYC

16 Jan 2019, 9:29 am

I believe we have “caravans” for many reasons both justified and unjustified.

Climate change is probably not one of the topmost reasons. Central America has always had hurricanes.

There is a distorted view that the US is a panacea that will erase all their problems. Some of the migrants are probably better off staying put.



EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,568
Location: Twin Peaks

16 Jan 2019, 9:59 am

Well as expected there's another one that's on the way to cross the US border.



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,320
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

16 Jan 2019, 10:03 am

EzraS wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I’m talking about the fact that people in tropical areas won’t seek asylum because of increased heat.

Yes. That’s pertinent to the thread.


Alright. We will see if goldfish decides to argue about that with you.


It’s not my argument to make. I defer to the experts; climate scientists, who say that deadly heatwaves and drought will be the cause of mass human migration in the decades ahead.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 63,860
Location: Queens, NYC

16 Jan 2019, 10:04 am

I bet, if you hang out in some of those caravans, that you will obtain a different impression of those people. Most Central American people are humble in the extreme (sometimes their humility can be irritating, actually). They are very family-oriented. I've hung out with people from Central America.

You wouldn't think of these folks as being "invaders." You would think of them as wanting a fair shake for their families, just like you want a fair shake for your family.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 63,860
Location: Queens, NYC

16 Jan 2019, 10:11 am

Central America is not going to experience "drought," I don't believe. What might happen is that they will experience more hurricanes and more disasters resulting from these hurricanes.

The Sahara Desert in Africa has been expanding since Time Immemorial. The drying trend has been going on there for millennia. It is theorized that Man became Man because the tropical forests shrunk so severely about 3-4 million years ago. The tropical forests became savannahs.



Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2018
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 348
Location: VT

16 Jan 2019, 10:17 am

EzraS wrote:
sly279 wrote:
They aren’t trying to escape a bad government they trying to come here to become rich or middle class to live the American dream. That’s not a valid reason for asylum. Or can I go to Canada to get a better life and claim asylum from democrats?


That seems likey and I don't blame them. But it hardly seems feasible. The US has a huge population of legal citizens who are in need. And the ever growing population of drug addicts who are a burden on society. I've heard it said the US is on the brink of becoming the world's largest 3rd world nation.


Why not recruit the immigrants to help the legal citizens in need?



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 63,860
Location: Queens, NYC

16 Jan 2019, 10:43 am

Many "legal citizens" would resent being "helped," by an immigrant.



EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,568
Location: Twin Peaks

16 Jan 2019, 11:09 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I bet, if you hang out in some of those caravans, that you will obtain a different impression of those people. Most Central American people are humble in the extreme (sometimes their humility can be irritating, actually). They are very family-oriented. I've hung out with people from Central America.

You wouldn't think of these folks as being "invaders." You would think of them as wanting a fair shake for their families, just like you want a fair shake for your family.


I practically grew up in the Latin community in Las Vegas. Plus there's my Mexican uncle and my Dominican aunt and the extended family that goes along with.

Did you know a big complaint among both Las Vegans and Seattleites is all the migrating Californians? They call it the Californiazation invasion.



Last edited by EzraS on 16 Jan 2019, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 63,860
Location: Queens, NYC

16 Jan 2019, 11:11 am

Yeah...I've heard that.

It is claimed that "Californians" are noisy, leave their junk to be picked up by someone else, and are generally obnoxious.



EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,568
Location: Twin Peaks

16 Jan 2019, 11:21 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yeah...I've heard that.

It is claimed that "Californians" are noisy, leave their junk to be picked up by someone else, and are generally obnoxious.


Whatever the case, it doesn't really have anything to do with racism or xenophobia. As a matter of fact Snohomish county residents are unhappy about the influx of King county residents and how it's going to ruin the charm of our towns when they start becoming overrun and turn plastic like Bellevue. Their hatred towards those south of the county line seeking a better life is just atrocious.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 63,860
Location: Queens, NYC

16 Jan 2019, 11:26 am

The same thing happens in Upstate New York counties pertaining to the influx of New York City residents. There is a slight element of xenophobia/racism in that (since urban areas are seen as being populated by "minorities").

But, like you say, that is not the primary motivation for the irritation felt by rural Upstate Counties for the influx of New York City residents.

I do understand what you mean about the possibility of "too many people" overwhelming the resources of our country. But I find it excessive to refer to the caravans of Central Americans as being made up of "invaders."



EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,568
Location: Twin Peaks

16 Jan 2019, 11:40 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The same thing happens in Upstate New York counties pertaining to the influx of New York City residents. There is a slight element of xenophobia/racism in that (since urban areas are seen as being populated by "minorities").

But, like you say, that is not the primary motivation for the irritation felt by rural Upstate Counties for the influx of New York City residents.

I do understand what you mean about the possibility of "too many people" overwhelming the resources of our country. But I find it excessive to refer to the caravans of Central Americans as being made up of "invaders."


The point I'm trying to make is it's common for people to be territorial. King county cities like Bellevue and Redmond are quite different from Snohomish county cities like Everett and Marysville. They want those people to stay on their side of the fence and they feel like they are going to ruin our way of life.

They don't want

Image

to turn into

Image



Last edited by EzraS on 16 Jan 2019, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2018
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 348
Location: VT

16 Jan 2019, 11:42 am

EzraS wrote:

....Did you know a big complaint among both Las Vegans and Seattleites is all the migrating Californians? They call it the Californiazation invasion.


Yes well there were time periods when people complained about German immigrants too, but if German immigrants were stopped from entering the country we wouldn't have our current president would we?



EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,568
Location: Twin Peaks

16 Jan 2019, 11:45 am

Arevelion wrote:
EzraS wrote:

....Did you know a big complaint among both Las Vegans and Seattleites is all the migrating Californians? They call it the Californiazation invasion.


Yes well there were time periods when people complained about German immigrants too, but if German immigrants were stopped from entering the country we wouldn't have our current president would we?


The complaint is against millions of illegal immigrants. The claim is that the only reason why there's a complaint is because they're "brown people".