Australian heatwave breaking records, killing animals

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2019, 3:03 am

I'm pretty used to blast furnace winds in high summer where I grew up in Nevada.

The typography of looks about the same:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2019, 8:02 am

Yep. The great Australian desert. Which might be expanding, but has existed for millennia.

I’ve been reading about Australian heat waves killing animals and such for years. These kind of heat waves happen every year.

The proof in “climate change” lies more in what’s happening in the Arctic, with glaciers melting and 2-3 Celsius increases in average temperatures over the past 20 years or so.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2019, 6:10 pm

I beg to differ, Kraftie.
When weather records that have stood for 80 years come toppling down one after another over the course of a decade, that would indicate at least the possibility of a shift to more extreme weather. And that would fit with climate change theory. Dismissing it as nothing to be concerned about would be dangerous imho.

...and today we're having record rainfalls and floods...
Daintree River in FNQ broke flood record set in 1996. Townsville is getting hammered right now.

Edited to add: and thanks Ezra for that cool sat image of Cloncurry.
(I must learn how to post images)

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2019, 6:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep. The great Australian desert. Which might be expanding, but has existed for millennia.

I’ve been reading about Australian heat waves killing animals and such for years. These kind of heat waves happen every year.

The proof in “climate change” lies more in what’s happening in the Arctic, with glaciers melting and 2-3 Celsius increases in average temperatures over the past 20 years or so.

What about the sustained heat increases that are bleaching the coral in the Great Barrier Reef, that are increasing year by year? Did you not see the National Geographic piece I linked in my comment about that? If heat waves are normal for Australia and not increasing over time, then why is the coral in the reef dying when it used to thrive? Keep in mind, it's been proven that sustained increases in ocean temperature are what cause the coral to bleach and die.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2019, 9:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I heard something about increased volcanic activity being responsible for ice melting in some areas.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 12:05 am

i am australian. and i can attest that this summer, we have had about 40 days of severe thunderstorms.
it is hotter than usual, but i live at an altitude of about 900m, so it never gets over 33C.
this area has a reasonably primitive electrical infrastructure, and i freak out every day knowing a blackout is likely.
i hate blackouts. there is nothing to do when there is no electricity.
i am going to buy an auto starting electrical generator wired into my box, but it will cost $17,000.
then i will be excited when storms occur.

i think this year is an anomaly in the characteristics of the climate.
if next year is worse, then i will start to suspect climate change.

humans really believe they are omnipotent if they think they are responsible.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 4:06 am

Where did I say I don’t believe in climate change? All I said is that conditions in the Arctic provide more proof of its existence.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 12:42 am

1/3rd of Australia’s flying foxes (bat species) died in two days during the heatwave.

https://www.dailyo.in/variety/wildlife- ... 29042.html

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 1:59 am

Re Heatwave

I do indeed think that the cause was that she let her seat wave...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 3:53 am

goldfish21 wrote:
1/3rd of Australia’s flying foxes (bat species) died in two days during the heatwave.

Here in Melbourne we are in the middle of a heat wave and our house is surrounded by hundreds of flying foxes which fly from the Dandenong ranges, the heat isn't impacted on them at all...

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 4:09 pm

cyberdad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Here in Melbourne we are in the middle of a heat wave and our house is surrounded by hundreds of flying foxes which fly from the Dandenong ranges, the heat isn't impacted on them at all...

Welcome back.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 4:24 pm

Hello John :wink:

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 3:46 am

Aaaaargh
I know we wanted rain in Townsville,,,
But I think that might be enough now.
Can you please stop it?
Please, pretty please?
Stopitstopitstopitstopit
STOP RAINING
FFS
:(

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 7:10 am

:P

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"