The debate is over: The oceans are in hot, hot water

Page 2 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 11:48 am

goldfish21 wrote:
karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:

As long as the Koch brothers still get to make ever more money, EzraS and RichardJ will eat, drink, and breathe sludge.

Over the last few years, Koch Industries has become a leading company in protecting the environment.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch_Industries wrote:
Koch Industries won the 2015 Conservation Education Award from the Wildlife Habitat Council and "has partnered with the company on conservation efforts for the past 15 years". Between 2009 and 2015, Koch companies earned 1,085 awards for safety, environmental excellence, community stewardship, innovation, and customer service from various government agencies, businesses, environmental organizations, trade associations, and charitable organizations around the world.

As of 2016 the EPA has named Koch Industries the number one U.S.-based parent company in pollution prevention initiatives for two consecutive years.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 12:11 pm

RichardJ wrote:

Over the last few years, Koch Industries has become a leading company in protecting the environment.

They are a fossil fuel business, looking to greenwash their image.

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 12:25 pm

AspE wrote:
RichardJ wrote:

Doesn't mean they aren't doing it.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 12:56 pm

Is ocean warming accelerating faster than thought? – An analysis of Cheng et al (2019), Science

There are a number of statements in Cheng et al. (2019) 'How fast are the oceans warming', ('the paper') that appear to be mistaken and/or potentially misleading. My analysis of these issues is followed by a reply from the paper's authors: Lijing Cheng, John Abraham, Zeke Hausfather and Kevin Trenberth.

Contrary to what the paper indicates:
* Contemporary estimates of the trend in 0–2000 m depth ocean heat content over 1971–2010 are closely in line with that assessed in the IPCC AR5 report five years ago
*  Contemporary estimates of the trend in 0–2000 m depth ocean heat content over 2005–2017 are significantly (> 95% probability) smaller than the mean CMIP5 model simulation trend.

Source: Is ocean warming accelerating faster than thought?

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 1:32 pm

RichardJ wrote:
AspE wrote:
RichardJ wrote:

Doesn't mean they aren't doing it.

They fund PBS too. Probably out of guilt for their evil deeds.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 3:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Also remember that fishies can, conceivably, adapt to the new conditions. They’ve done this before over about 400 million years. They did fine over at least two massive geologic “apocalypses.”

El Niño and La Niña are caused by fluctuations in water temperatures.

All this bears watching—but to predict the 2048 Apocalypse with certainty can be said to be alarmist.

We should change our habits....but we should also not jump to impetuous conclusions.

Many national fisheries have changed their fishing policies too to compensate for overfishing, so some fish populations are making a comeback because they are being fished less by countries like Norway. But then it looks like even their fisheries are at risk from climate change as of 2018:

Warning for Seafood Lovers: Climate Change Could Crash These Important Fisheries

Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 3:18 pm

They talk about a lot of these issues facing our world's oceans on the BBC program Blue Planet II, if anyone is interested in more information presented along with some amazing cinematography and incredibly beautiful footage of unbelievable deep sea creatures. It's available on Netflix, that's where I watched it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 11:23 pm

All of of this is based on speculation of what could happen.

Maybe, might be, could be according to predicting, conjecturing, surmising. I see those words or words to that effect in most of the articles presented.

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 2:46 am

EzraS wrote:
All of of this is based on speculation of what could happen.

Maybe, might be, could be according to predicting, conjecturing, surmising. I see those words or words to that effect in most of the articles presented.

Isn't it weird how all the past climate models never actually correlate with new incoming data and outpace it by 2-4x or more?

Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 3:32 am

Yeah, what do NASA climate scientists really know anyway? They must be a bunch of prognosticating liberal shills for Big Climate Paranoia. :lol:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 5:08 am

Is NASA predicting the end of the world in a few years? And NASA isn't infallible based on my serch for "times nasa was wrong".

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 3:20 pm

[mod note]Personal attack and posts quoting it have been removed.

Please continue on topic[/]

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 3:28 pm

EzraS wrote:
Is NASA predicting the end of the world in a few years? And NASA isn't infallible based on my serch for "times nasa was wrong".

https://climate.nasa.gov/effects/

That is what NASA predicts, spelled out very clearly in the link I already provided to their site on climate change science.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 2:48 am

EzraS wrote:

That is what NASA predicts, spelled out very clearly in the link I already provided to their site on climate change science.

That was a rhetorical question used to make a point, as the obvious answer is no.

Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 2:30 pm

EzraS wrote:
EzraS wrote:

That was a rhetorical question used to make a point, as the obvious answer is no.

Oh OK, so what you're saying is there is no evidence from any source that you will be willing to consider as credible, including your own country's climate scientists. Cool cool cool, as my favourite character from Community likes to say.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 2:47 pm

EzraS wrote:
Are there any reports that the fishing industry is suffering on a global scale? A shortage of sea food and a corresponding significant rise in sea food prices would be a pretty clear indication of a significant problem.

Yea there are, prices can be fixed though. Overfishing is another immense problem.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: