Should Virginia governor Northam resign over racist pix

Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Should governor Northam be forced to resign?
Yes - there should be zero tolerance 27%  27%  [ 7 ]
Yes - if Hollywood and business figures must resign over past sex harassment 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
No - he has clearly "outgrown" it 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
No - as long as he still governs effectively 38%  38%  [ 10 ]
Who cares? 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 26

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 12:12 pm

First seen as a racist picture in medical school yearbook (featuring one person in blackface and another in KKK robes), and later referred to in his press conference, changing his story over whether that was him in that picture and offering to "moonwalk" as evidence he did do blackface in a Michael Jackson lookalike dance contest ... what do you think?

Kick this guy to the curb, or forgive and forget?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 12:13 pm

Why has no investigative journalist tracked down the yearbook editor and asked about that photo?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 1:16 pm

Doing something illegal or unethical? Yes, he should resign or be impeached.

Doing something stupid 30 years ago, but not illegal, as was the case here? No.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Zinnia86
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 1:32 pm

Rather than just assuming he's racist because he did something dumb in college, I would be more interested in an analysis of his current policies to see whether they have in general had a positive or negative impact on non-white people. That is the more relevant issue.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 1:48 pm

Zinnia86 wrote:
Rather than just assuming he's racist because he did something dumb in college, I would be more interested in an analysis of his current policies to see whether they have in general had a positive or negative impact on non-white people. That is the more relevant issue.

No it isn't.

Zinnia86
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 2:18 pm

AspE wrote:
Zinnia86 wrote:

No it isn't.

Could you say a little more about why you think that's true?

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 2:33 pm

Zinnia86 wrote:
AspE wrote:
Zinnia86 wrote:

No it isn't.

Current events. The reputation of the party and it's future. He could be a saint now and he still needs to go.

Zinnia86
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 2:55 pm

AspE wrote:
Zinnia86 wrote:
AspE wrote:
Zinnia86 wrote:

No it isn't.

Current events. The reputation of the party and it's future. He could be a saint now and he still needs to go.

Fair enough. I can agree that especially in a two-party democratic system, the faith of voters in the man and in his party has to be taken into consideration. This is an emotional issue and pictures like these can be hard to forget, so that definitely does have an impact on the decision. I can say that I definitely wouldn't vote for him if he came up for re-election. As far as resigning, personally I consider his political track-record to be more relevant because it will reveal whether he is actually unfit to finish out his term. But since it seems to be easy enough to replace him with someone that people like better, then maybe that is the better decision.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 6:01 pm

What do you all think about the various celebs who have been kicked out of their companies or had their shows taken away because of sexual harassment? (not including rape, like Bill Cosby, drugging and raping numerous women)

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 6:16 pm

I don't really understand why black-face hurts people. I mean, it can't hurt someone, unless they give it power to hurt them. To me it's just like when a kid gets called four-eyes, or buck-toothed, or shorty----or any number of other things. One can let it roll off them, or they can wallow in it, and become hateful and resentful, and bitter, and be like "The world owes me", or whatever----and, quite frankly, that's what alot of people act like, nowadays, and it's gotta stop!

It'll never stop, however, until people aren't so quick with the "Aww, poor baby". It's just like a spoiled-rotten kid----the more you give 'em, the more they want. When one stops giving / giving into them, only then do they stop WANTING; and they get over themselves, cuz they know their whining isn't going to get them, anywhere.

As I've said, before, I LIVE for the day when a company is told that what they've said/done was wrong, in some way, and they say "That wasn't the way it was meant", and then they DON'T pull their ad (or whatever). Yeah, they'll probably see a dip in profits, for a minute (not literal), and then something else will come-along for people to whine about, and it'll be forgotten.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 8:12 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I don't really understand why black-face hurts people. I mean, it can't hurt someone, unless they give it power to hurt them. To me it's just like when a kid gets called four-eyes, or buck-toothed, or shorty----or any number of other things. One can let it roll off them, or they can wallow in it, and become hateful and resentful, and bitter, and be like "The world owes me", or whatever----and, quite frankly, that's what alot of people act like, nowadays, and it's gotta stop!

It'll never stop, however, until people aren't so quick with the "Aww, poor baby". It's just like a spoiled-rotten kid----the more you give 'em, the more they want. When one stops giving / giving into them, only then do they stop WANTING; and they get over themselves, cuz they know their whining isn't going to get them, anywhere.

As I've said, before, I LIVE for the day when a company is told that what they've said/done was wrong, in some way, and they say "That wasn't the way it was meant", and then they DON'T pull their ad (or whatever). Yeah, they'll probably see a dip in profits, for a minute (not literal), and then something else will come-along for people to whine about, and it'll be forgotten.

You might not be aware of the history of minstrelsy as it relates to blackface. I learned about it through my study of the banjo. It was a kind of revisionist history that tried to romanticize plantation life, picturing it in a patronizing way, as if their music and dance were expressions of a carefree life under slavery. So it couldn't have been brutal and dehumanizing, because look- music.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 2:44 am

I can see the comparisons drawn with Brett Kavanaugh here. Kavanaugh managed to dodge a bullet (barely) of rape because he had the backing of his party and Trump (despite the fairly convincing testimony of his victim Professor Christine Blasey Ford). No surprises there...

However I doubt anyone in the democrat party is going to stick their neck out to protect this closet racist loser. He's on his own. Even Nancy Pelosi told him to "Do the right thing" and resign...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 2:46 am

AspE wrote:
You might not be aware of the history of minstrelsy as it relates to blackface. I learned about it through my study of the banjo. It was a kind of revisionist history that tried to romanticize plantation life, picturing it in a patronizing way, as if their music and dance were expressions of a carefree life under slavery. So it couldn't have been brutal and dehumanizing, because look- music.

I'm pretty sure she knows...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 12:15 pm

What is his ACTUAL record on race relations over the past 20 years?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 1:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
What is his ACTUAL record on race relations over the past 20 years?

I don't know, KK. Why don't you research that and get back to me?

:D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 3:41 pm

I go back and forth in my head about it. Originally I thought of it was a just a "youthful indiscretion", and that he should be allowed out of Purgatory , and should not be punished forever about it. But then the talking heads on the news persuaded me to take it more seriously, but now I am gravitating back to my original opinion: that his public mae culpa was enough. Of course his more recent "I didn't inhale" type statements don't help him for me. I dunno.