Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on political influence of money

Page 7 of 20 [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 20  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 6:34 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Trump can say any lie, and his followers will believe it. Many of them either dismiss his lack of personal morality, or even say that his affairs with Stormy Daniels and others, as well as his less than honest business dealings are "fake news." Just recently at El Paso, after Trump had whipped his fans into an anti-media frenzy, one of the red hats had attacked a BBC cameraman. That's not normal. That's a cultic devotion.

It could be said that there is a cultic devotion to MSM which is constantly whipping people into a frenzy, which generates zillions of dollars for them. The Jan 18th Lincoln Memorial incident was one of the best examples of that.

MSM... the stuff for arthritis?

I apologize for confusing you with an abbreviation. To clarify; mainstream media (MSM) is a term and abbreviation used to refer collectively to the various large mass news media that influence a large number of people, and both reflect and shape prevailing currents of thought.

The mainstream media hardly has a cultic following. They hardly have the ability to make people believe something that can't possibly be. Even a smoke-and-mirrors operation like Fox fesses up to spewing misinformation... eventually. But with Trump, you have him telling his MAGA hats at rallies that they shouldn't trust what they see or hear about him. The fact that so many of them then do it is the epitome of cultish devotion.

It's all about influence. The view of many regarding events that take place is influenced by the media. They read and or listen to a biased spin on things and go along with it. A lot of media whips people into a frenzy by over exaggerating and misleading people to generate revenue.

Leftist media is obviously on the attack regarding MAGA hat wearers as was clearly demonstrated by its coverage of the Jan 18th Lincoln Memorial incident. Not that it wasn't obvious before that.

The black Israelite douchebags were hardly whipped into a frenzy by the media, but were just douchebags. When the Native American guy tried to intervene between the two groups as a peace maker, the MAGA kids apparently didn't understand what he was doing. I fail to see how the the media had whipped up any of that.

Way to move the goalposts. They were calling the kids "fa**ots", "n**gers", called the black kid an "uncle Tom" and one of the Natives an "uncle Tomahawk". If white men in MAGA hats were talking like that the media would lose it and you'd be going nuts too.
The Native guy was banging the drum like an inch from the kid's ear, he did well not to lash out at him.

The media whipped up such hysteria and people like Kathy Griffin were pleading for the kid's address to be made public and there are left wing thugs looking for the poor kid. That's the insane media.

Nobody in the media defended what Eric Cartman would call, "black a$$holes," and in fact pointed that out that they had instigated trouble with the kids.
He was more than a little inch away from the kids ears.
The media in fact went on to explain the misunderstanding.

The media lied and got caught out, they also have massive double standards and incite violence and you defend it.

You had a bunch of kids wearing MAGA hat surrounding an elderly Native American man, mimicking him with smug, entitled grins. I think at first glance, anyone could misconstrue what was going on, particularly if they hadn't known what had preceded the incident. It hardly means the media lied.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 6:35 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I think Goldfish, and the rest of us, do know what we're talking about.

Some us seem to, others don't really. I think there's a difference between being versed on a topic like this and having an opinion based on what's gleened from the media.

How can the 1% have their income taxed when they're not on a salary or paid hourly like the 79%? And how can that be adjusted?

Are you serious?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 6:50 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Some us seem to, others don't really. I think there's a difference between being versed on a topic like this and having an opinion based on what's gleened from the media.

How can the 1% have their income taxed when they're not on a salary or paid hourly like the 79%? And how can that be adjusted?

Are you serious?

He might be.. he is only 18, and not entering his final year of business school like I was at 18. It may be a genuine question from someone who doesn’t see a solution himself. Let’s wait and see what he says.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 7:46 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Trump can say any lie, and his followers will believe it. Many of them either dismiss his lack of personal morality, or even say that his affairs with Stormy Daniels and others, as well as his less than honest business dealings are "fake news." Just recently at El Paso, after Trump had whipped his fans into an anti-media frenzy, one of the red hats had attacked a BBC cameraman. That's not normal. That's a cultic devotion.

It could be said that there is a cultic devotion to MSM which is constantly whipping people into a frenzy, which generates zillions of dollars for them. The Jan 18th Lincoln Memorial incident was one of the best examples of that.

I apologize for confusing you with an abbreviation. To clarify; mainstream media (MSM) is a term and abbreviation used to refer collectively to the various large mass news media that influence a large number of people, and both reflect and shape prevailing currents of thought.

The mainstream media hardly has a cultic following. They hardly have the ability to make people believe something that can't possibly be. Even a smoke-and-mirrors operation like Fox fesses up to spewing misinformation... eventually. But with Trump, you have him telling his MAGA hats at rallies that they shouldn't trust what they see or hear about him. The fact that so many of them then do it is the epitome of cultish devotion.

It's all about influence. The view of many regarding events that take place is influenced by the media. They read and or listen to a biased spin on things and go along with it. A lot of media whips people into a frenzy by over exaggerating and misleading people to generate revenue.

Leftist media is obviously on the attack regarding MAGA hat wearers as was clearly demonstrated by its coverage of the Jan 18th Lincoln Memorial incident. Not that it wasn't obvious before that.

The black Israelite douchebags were hardly whipped into a frenzy by the media, but were just douchebags. When the Native American guy tried to intervene between the two groups as a peace maker, the MAGA kids apparently didn't understand what he was doing. I fail to see how the the media had whipped up any of that.

Way to move the goalposts. They were calling the kids "fa**ots", "n**gers", called the black kid an "uncle Tom" and one of the Natives an "uncle Tomahawk". If white men in MAGA hats were talking like that the media would lose it and you'd be going nuts too.
The Native guy was banging the drum like an inch from the kid's ear, he did well not to lash out at him.

The media whipped up such hysteria and people like Kathy Griffin were pleading for the kid's address to be made public and there are left wing thugs looking for the poor kid. That's the insane media.

Nobody in the media defended what Eric Cartman would call, "black a$$holes," and in fact pointed that out that they had instigated trouble with the kids.

The media lied and got caught out, they also have massive double standards and incite violence and you defend it.

You had a bunch of kids wearing MAGA hat surrounding an elderly Native American man, mimicking him with smug, entitled grins. I think at first glance, anyone could misconstrue what was going on, particularly if they hadn't known what had preceded the incident. It hardly means the media lied.

He went at the kids and most moved out of his way they didn’t soround him

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 8:25 pm

Here is a brief 3 minute video from the Youtube channel of famous economist Robert Reich (who has been a professor at Harvard and now teaches economics at UC Berkley) that explains simply how trickle down economics doesn't work:

It's very easy to find videos like this from reputable and informed sources. All I had to do was search on Youtube for "Robert Reich trickle down economics" because I know he's a reputable source of information about economics and I was already aware he had a Youtube channel (I've seen him in other things, mostly documentary films, talking about this and other economic issues). If I didn't already have a reputable source to look for on a particular topic like trickle down economics I would search for a good source first (preferrably someone who teaches on the subject or works in the field or both) and then see what they have to say on the issue. I don't need to take an economics class, I just need to look to someone who teaches such classes for information about economics.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 8:45 pm

sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Fake news. He did not "go at," the kids. He walked in amongst them. Then they all faced in towards him in a circle - those immigrant kids surrounded Indigenous Elder, Nathan Phillips. I just re-watched several clips of the extended video to ensure accuracy of my post. Go re-watch it yourself for proof.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 8:55 pm

sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

What Goldfish said.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 9:14 pm

The elder was not surrounded - he had exit routes. He chose the course of action he did, whether you think it's right or wrong. But he could have easily walked away.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 9:46 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Are you serious?

He might be.. he is only 18, and not entering his final year of business school like I was at 18. It may be a genuine question from someone who doesn’t see a solution himself. Let’s wait and see what he says.

I’m curious - which business school did you go to? BCIT?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 9:51 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Are you serious?

Yes I am. Wolfman87 knew where I was going with my question (see below)

Wolfram87 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bill- ... 2019-02-12

https://nordic.businessinsider.com/bill ... ?r=US&IR=T

Quote:
•The billionaire philanthropist Bill Gates says there's a "misfocus" in the way America's wealthiest residents are taxed.
•He told The Verge's Nilay Patel that if you focus on raising the ordinary income tax rate for America's superrich, "you're missing the picture." The highest earners often have wealth tied to company stock, which isn't taxed as "ordinary income," Gates said.
•"We can be more progressive without really threatening income generation - what you have left to decide how to spread around," he said.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 10:12 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Are you serious?

So I ask you to demonstrate that you actually know what you're talking about and you deflect with an objection. And you obviously don't get and don't have an answer to my question, even though Wolfman87 did.

I hope you got a refund from that business school.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 10:14 pm

EzraS wrote:

Dude I'm pretty sure that's the entire point of business school.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 10:16 pm

cberg wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Dude I'm pretty sure that's the entire point of business school.

What, not learning anything?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 10:23 pm

I meant profits.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 10:37 pm

I knew what you meant, but that's not what I was talking about.

Incidentally though he reported being $110k in debt and bankrupt some years after he had completed business school.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 10:37 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
The elder was not surrounded - he had exit routes. He chose the course of action he did, whether you think it's right or wrong. But he could have easily walked away.

They are all around him in a circle. He was surrounded. Possibly being able to exit doesn't mean he wasn't surrounded.