ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 6:45 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

The joke could have had double meaning both about the campaign trail and the trail of tears. That is my ongoing theory.

I think he deliberately writes things this way , you can't prove it's meaning but it causes the opposition to jump on it as they are triggered by a double entendre , it deflects away from other things if people are going bat s**t about abut a double entendre.

I think you're right.

But is Trump smart enough for that?

Yep.

His problems are extreme snowflackeness, little attention span, meanness, everything is about him etc, not intelligence. Despite all these problems he managed to win the Presidency and stay there despite the daily predictions by "intelligent" people of his imminent demise.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 7:09 pm

Who knows what Trump was thinking. Or whether he has any thoughts at all.

If you asked him in person he would probably tell you that he meant the "campaign trail". It might well be that is all he meant. Or maybe he was thinking about Roy Rogers (happy trails to you, until we meet again). But why he had to capitalize "trail" is still an open question.

Crediting Trump with even knowing what "the trail of tears" was is crediting Trump with a lot of more knowledge of American history than someone like Trump who doesn't know Andrew Jackson wasn't alive during the Civil War, and cant the find the USA on a world map probably actually has.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 7:15 pm

Trump once again exhibits the proof that he refuses to acknowledge the fact that he is a racist.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 7:32 pm

Stories like this are complete and utter BS. Keep presenting us with stories like this, MSM, and you will ensure that Trump gets reelected in 2020.

"Welllll...it kinda look like a racist comment. Let's run with it!"

Meanwhile, the Dems and the liberal media aren't really offering any viable alternatives to the Trump administration. No real dialog is happening, just "Bash Trump!" Bash Trump!" on a daily basis. Any Democratic candidates who are offering real solutions to the corporate Dems are being systematically shut down.

This crap is only empowering Trump.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 8:12 pm

Piobaire wrote:
Only racists find racist jokes funny. As for people who laugh at the slow deaths of 19,276 Americans from exposure and starvation, after having their lands stolen and forced to walk from North Carolina to Oklahoma in winter; Americans which had fought and died alongside US Army soldiers in the Creek and Seminole Wars....well; you really need to change your moniker.

Most Americans take pride in their military history.

Our museums, history books, movies tell us how great and heroic our soldiers were in conquering the Indians.

So, I don't think "feel sad for the defeated" rings true for many.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 8:19 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Piobaire wrote:
Only racists find racist jokes funny. As for people who laugh at the slow deaths of 19,276 Americans from exposure and starvation, after having their lands stolen and forced to walk from North Carolina to Oklahoma in winter; Americans which had fought and died alongside US Army soldiers in the Creek and Seminole Wars....well; you really need to change your moniker.

Our museums, history books, movies tell us how great and heroic our soldiers were in conquering the Indians.

Really? Here in Washington state, we whites feel a great deal of empathy for the Hell Native Americans had been put through by both white military and civilians. In fact, Nez Pierce Chief Joseph is considered a regional hero.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 8:48 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Piobaire wrote:

Really? Here in Washington state, we whites feel a great deal of empathy for the Hell Native Americans had been put through by both white military and civilians. In fact, Nez Pierce Chief Joseph is considered a regional hero.

I think it's true even today.

America could go bomb the heck out of a country, and back home ...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 8:51 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Stories like this are complete and utter BS. Keep presenting us with stories like this, MSM, and you will ensure that Trump gets reelected in 2020.

Meanwhile, the Dems and the liberal media aren't really offering any viable alternatives to the Trump administration. No real dialog is happening, just "Bash Trump!" Bash Trump!" on a daily basis. Any Democratic candidates who are offering real solutions to the corporate Dems are being systematically shut down.

I agree 100%. This is all likely to backfire big time. Unless the media wants to keep him in office, as it would be greatly to their advantage considering how many zillions they rake in over silly crap like this.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 10:09 pm

EzraS wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

I agree 100%. This is all likely to backfire big time. Unless the media wants to keep him in office, as it would be greatly to their advantage considering how many zillions they rake in over silly crap like this.

Well, corporate journalists are just useful idiots. Rachael Maddow isn't going to wake up one day and suddenly depart from the script she's required to stick to day after day. She makes too much money, and enjoys a lavish lifestyle distributing propaganda.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 1:21 am

EzraS wrote:
My guess is the reason why lefties aren't offended by the battle of the bulge being used humorously is because most of the thousands of soldiers who died fighting it were probably white male christians.

proof?

Or is your mind reading powers a hidden talent Ezra?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 2:36 am

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
My guess is the reason why lefties aren't offended by the battle of the bulge being used humorously is because most of the thousands of soldiers who died fighting it were probably white male christians.

proof?

Or is your mind reading powers a hidden talent Ezra?

It's my guess, as stipulated by the first two words I wrote.

If you want to get clever, you need to actually be clever in doing so.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 3:11 am

How exactly would you compare joking about the "battle of the bulge" (which has been a pun on weight loss for longer than I have been alive) with joking about genocide?

The two are not in the same universe...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 3:19 am

cyberdad wrote:
How exactly would you compare joking about the "battle of the bulge" (which has been a pun on weight loss for longer than I have been alive) with joking about genocide?

How is battle that cost thousands of young lives a joking matter? At least to those who are easily offered and outraged.

Last edited by EzraS on 14 Feb 2019, 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 3:26 am

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

How is battle that cost thousands of young lives a joking matter? At least to those who are easily offered and outraged.

I would have thought it's keeping the memory of such a momentous battle as a mark of respect?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 3:31 am

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I would have thought it's keeping the memory of such a momentous battle as a mark of respect?

By using it as a humorous catchphrase?

And why aren't Union generals involved in the genocide viewd the same way as Confederate generals? Really it seems what the Union army is responsible for is far worse.

I question how much outrage from the left is genuine as opposed to crocodile tears for the sake of political posturing.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 3:34 am

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

By using it as a humorous catchphrase?

And why aren't Union generals involved in the genocide viewd the same way as Confederate generals? Really it seems what the Union army is responsible for is far worse.

I question how much outrage from the left is genuine as opposed to crocodile tears for the sake of political posturing.

You are overthinking a common catchphrase probably even used by conservatives in equal number