Page 6 of 9 [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 9:43 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
It's a foregone conclusion that she was trying to take advantage of affirmative action.

Sure, but that doesn't mean she couldn't also have legitimately identified as a Native American.

Alright Bill she was completely mislead and had no idea that she was really white. If that's what you need to believe, then I won't keep trying to insert reason.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 10:05 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
It's a foregone conclusion that she was trying to take advantage of affirmative action.

Sure, but that doesn't mean she couldn't also have legitimately identified as a Native American.

Alright Bill she was completely mislead and had no idea that she was really white. If that's what you need to believe, then I won't keep trying to insert reason.

Taking into account that she's been a champion for consumer protection, that she's the terror of Wall Street, and that she stands for working and poor people, I find it hard to believe that she's actually some sort of self serving monster who had crafted a master plan to lie about being a Native American.
That's unless, if you think consumer protection, scaring the feces out of greedy Wall Street, and defending poor and working Americans is a bad thing, like your side of the aisles seems to rationalize, then she would be, I suppose..

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 10:06 pm

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
AspE wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
So do native americans demand some native ancestry? drop or drops? Australian aboriginals don't recognise the concept of blood/race as that was introduced by the British

There is no universal standard. It's from half to 1/16, depending on the tribe, and/or many require genealogy documentation.

Interesting, so having a distant ancestor makes a difference to them? sounds like "white man one drop" thinking contaminating their culture

Not too distant. In many cases it needs to be a parent or at least a grandparent. It's not centered on "white" though. The same requirement applies to someone of any ethnicity. Even native ethnicity. An Apache is an Apache, a Cherokee is a Cherokee. I don't know about Australian aboriginals, but American natives have always had separate tribal nations. Often two different tribes were enemies. Different tribes had/have different languages and customs. Different attire. Different ways of making things etc.

I think when British explorer Captain Cook arrived in Australia there were some 800+ languages spoken by different tribes. However membership to a tribe was based on kinship rather than bloodlines. In addition the concept of land ownership was foreign to Australian indigenous peoples as they saw themselves as custodians. This custodianship required paying respect to local spirit beings that were effectively seen as the owners of the land. Aborigines paid rent by giving offerings, or paying respect through chants and dances etc...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 10:36 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Taking into account that she's been a champion for consumer protection, that she's the terror of Wall Street, and that she stands for working and poor people, I find it hard to believe that she's actually some sort of self serving monster who had crafted a master plan to lie about being a Native American.
That's unless, if you think consumer protection, scaring the feces out of greedy Wall Street, and defending poor and working Americans is a bad thing, like your side of the aisles seems to rationalize, then she would be, I suppose..

Nobody's perfect.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 10:38 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

She can't. Get over it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 12:32 am

AspE wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

She can't. Get over it.

Well, she can't now, and she's conceded that point and apologized. But prior to any DNA testing, I have seen no evidence that she ever knew she wasn't really Native American. Who you think you are determines your identity much more than who your DNA says you are.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 3:27 am

She leaned the truth at 69.

That's like a combo of Janis Ian and Bryan Adams.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 3:39 am

EzraS wrote:

I was alive in the summer of 69...year of the moon walk, vietnam war protests, civil rights & women's rights marches, LSD and free love

So much hope....and yet now we have Trump

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 4:03 am

EzraS wrote:

I don't know of her having a DNA test anytime sooner. And again, as far as I know everyone in her family believe they are part Cherokee.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 4:23 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I don't know of her having a DNA test anytime sooner. And again, as far as I know everyone in her family believe they are part Cherokee.

They most likely are part Cherokee. It's a fairly common thing. The family claim is that her great-great-great-grandmother, O.C. Sarah Smith, was at least partially Native American.

But, not meaning to beat a dead horse, it's quite a stretch going from having a great-great-great-grandmother who was part Cherokee to writing in her race as American Indian on a state bar registration card.

I'm sorry, I'm sure she's a fine person, but I don't see how it's possible that anyone in their right mind could believe they were an American Indian based on that.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 2:00 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:

They most likely are part Cherokee. It's a fairly common thing. The family claim is that her great-great-great-grandmother, O.C. Sarah Smith, was at least partially Native American.

But, not meaning to beat a dead horse, it's quite a stretch going from having a great-great-great-grandmother who was part Cherokee to writing in her race as American Indian on a state bar registration card.

I'm sorry, I'm sure she's a fine person, but I don't see how it's possible that anyone in their right mind could believe they were an American Indian based on that.

Then let's get past this mistake she made, and concentrate how being a good person she would benefit the country in office.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 1:25 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Then let's get past this mistake she made, and concentrate how being a good person she would benefit the country in office.

But the die is cast, Hillary did one minor transgression and was a labelled a "crook", Obama was labelled a muslim and his place of birth disputed.

There's plenty of Trump loving morons who will scream Warren down over this.

Heck if Christ had his second coming now he would be locked up in a detention centre as a brown skinned illegal immigrant.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 1:41 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

But the die is cast, Hillary did one minor transgression and was a labelled a "crook", Obama was labelled a muslim and his place of birth disputed.

Heck if Christ had his second coming now he would be locked up in a detention centre as a brown skinned illegal immigrant.

Republican candidates as well have stuff held against them.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 2:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Yet Obama got two terms in the White House. It is possible to overcome the intellectually deficient.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 2:15 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Yet Obama got two terms in the White House. It is possible to overcome the intellectually deficient.

George W Bush despite bush derangement syndrome also managed two terms.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 2:48 am

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

George W Bush despite bush derangement syndrome also managed two terms.

But neither did Bush behave as a complete psycho like Trump has. When Dana Carvy on S&L played Bush for laughs, Bush invited him to the White House. I won't hold my breath for that humorless mental case in the White House today ever extending an invitation to Alec Baldwin. Bush and Obama could both laugh at political satire directed at them, thereby never losing touch with the masses of humanity throughout the country. The fact that Trump can't will weigh against him, in my humble opinion.
One symptom of a psychopathic personality is the inability to comprehend humor.