Autism law introduced in House of Representatives

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 4:00 am

https://njbiz.com/autism-law-introduced-house-representatives/

Quote:
U.S. Rep. Chris Smith, R-4th District, of New Jersey and Rep. Mike Doyle, D-18th District, of Pennsylvania, introduced the bipartisan Autism CARES Act of 2019 in the House of Representatives to reauthorize federal programs and activities that assist children, adults and families with Autism.

The bill, House Resolution 1058, is supported by a coalition of autism and disability advocate organizations, including Autism Speaks, Autism Society of America, Association of University Centers on Disabilities, American Academy of Pediatrics, and Autism NJ.

A companion bill will be introduced in the Senate by Sens. Bob Menendez, D-NJ, and Mike Enzi, R-WY.

The Autism CARES Act of 2019 is a reauthorization of Smith and Doyle’s Autism CARES Act of 2014, Public Law 113-157.

HR 1058 will authorize over $1 billion in funding for programs at the National Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control, and the Health Resources and Services Administration over five years. At CDC, the funding will go to developmental disability surveillance and research; at HRSA, the funding will cover education, early detection and intervention; at NIH, the funding will cover the expansion and coordination of autism-related activities.

None of those named as lobbying for the bill are Actually Autistic organizations.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 6:41 pm

So it’s just a way to fund the cdc?
Noticed non of the money actually goes towards helping autistics just studying them.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 6:53 pm

If the bill is supported by Autism Speaks, it can't be good for autistic people.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 10:20 pm

I tried to find a a copy of the text to read the bill but it doesn't look like it's available?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 1:18 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
If the bill is supported by Autism Speaks, it can't be good for autistic people.

Why not? :?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 1:51 am

They're more of a tax evasion loophole than an actual charity.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

traven
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 1:58 am

'we' don't want researchers fall out of money, do we?

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

14 Feb 2019, 5:29 pm

I'm highly sceptical that this will actually be used to help any of us.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 2:01 pm

cberg wrote:
They're more of a tax evasion loophole than an actual charity.

How so? :?

I know for a fact that they conduct Autism research. I've emailed back and forth with one of their researchers in the past after they published an article about one of their studies.

They may not be perfect (I don't know, I'm not an IRS Auditor) but they do in fact spend time, money, and resources on legitimate Autism research.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 2:15 pm

BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:

Yeah it’s just grandstanding and way to get funding. They could have applied the money to organizations that help autistics ,which are underfunded, if they actually wanted to help us.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 2:40 pm

sly279 wrote:
BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:

Yeah it’s just grandstanding and way to get funding. They could have applied the money to organizations that help autistics ,which are underfunded, if they actually wanted to help us.

Yes, I'm sure the American Academy of Paediatrics is just out to line their pockets vs. help childrens' health. :roll:

What proof do you have of your claims? Any?

What kind of "help," do you expect from Autism or Medical organizations besides research into how to better treat this ailment? :? How would You better spend this funding?