Tennessee Govenor “regrets” wearing Confederate uniform

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 11:28 pm

The Tennessee Governor Says He Regrets Wearing a Confederate Uniform at His College Frat Party

Quote:
Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee was 17 when he joined the Kappa Alpha fraternity at Auburn University, which every spring held an “Old South” party where he and other members dressed in Confederate uniforms.

The fraternity has since ended the tradition, and Lee, four decades removed from his undergraduate days at the Alabama university, says he regrets attending and wearing the uniform, and has come to see his participation in the event differently.

A spokeswoman for Lee confirmed on Thursday that Auburn’s 1980 yearbook includes a photo of the governor and another man in Confederate uniforms.

Lee, who was sworn in as governor in January, spoke to the AP briefly about how he has come to view his actions. He later said through a spokeswoman that he has never worn blackface or attended parties where others were doing so, nor has he taken part in other activities or organizations since college that would be considered racially insensitive or offensive.

Kappa Alpha’s annual “Old South” parade at Auburn ended in 1992, said university spokesman Preston Sparks. The fraternity’s national organization, meanwhile, prohibited the use of Confederate flags at any chapter in 2001 and the wearing of uniforms and parades in 2010, a spokesman told the AP.

In the 1980 yearbook photo, Lee is wearing a Confederate soldier uniform and is standing with a woman in an antebellum dress. Lee’s office said it did not immediately know the identity of the woman.

Another unidentified woman and man are also in the photo wearing the same kind of outfits.

Two other photos with different people in Confederate clothing are on the page, which has the caption, “The South shall rise again, right Bill! When the band plays ‘Dixie’, a tear comes to our eyes. I’d do anything Lee, but she comes first.”

The page also explains that Kappa Alpha was based on ideals that “constituted the frame and fabric of Southern Culture” and that its founding fathers saw in Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee “chivalry, valor, loyalty and reverence for womankind.”

Auburn’s yearbook from 1978, Lee’s freshman year, called the party sponsored by Lee’s Kappa Alpha fraternity “one of the biggest social events on campus.”

It described the festivities this way: “Preliminary parties last for a week and finally culminate on Saturday night. The sound of rebel yells and horses’ hooves can be heard as the KA’s parade down College Street – reminiscent of one of the South’s hardest, yet grandest times.”

The yearbook noted that Kappa Alpha also sponsored an event called Convivium, a celebration of Robert E. Lee’s birthday. The yearbook said he was “exemplary of the Southern gentleman” and represented attributes “that KA strives to uphold — to mold leaders not simply followers.”

Old South parties were a Kappa Alpha tradition on other campuses, including at the University of Georgia in 1983, when Georgia’s current governor, Republican Brian Kemp, was a student. Kemp was a member of a different fraternity, and there is nothing in his yearbooks to suggest he attended the parties.

Kemp did not respond to the AP survey.

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey attended Auburn a decade earlier than Lee. Her sorority’s 1967 yearbook photo shows five members with black masks portraying “minstrels” in a rush skit, but Ivey said she is not in the photograph. Its caption reads, “Alpha Gam Minstrels welcome rushees aboard their showboat.”

The photo is on the same page as a description of the sorority and the accomplishments of its members. The page notes that Ivey was vice president of the student body.

Ivey, a Republican, said she did not recall the skit.

“When I was shown that picture, it had to be a rush skit or something at the sorority at some point in time, but no, I didn’t remember it,” she said. “I certainly wasn’t a part of it.”

Ivey said “there is no place” for blackface and that she had never worn it. When asked if she had ever made a remark perceived as racially insensitive, she replied that she hoped not.

Offence archeolgists strike again

I was in college in 1978. That was the year Animal House came out a movie that has misygonost and racist scenes. I hope nobody photographed what I wore at the dorm Toga party.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 11:41 pm

The issue would be with the frat’s leadership, but it’s a moot point now since they’re no longer doing these parties.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 1:40 am

I wonder how many of those frat boys even knew the history of their own state. Tennessee actually remained in the Union during the Civil War.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 7:50 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I wonder how many of those frat boys even knew the history of their own state. Tennessee actually remained in the Union during the Civil War.

They were Confederate, but they were the last to secede and first to rejoin the Union.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 7:54 am

Offence archaeologists. I like that. :)

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 8:21 am

Drake wrote:

"trigger diggers"

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 8:28 am

I'm waiting for them to find someone's baby picture where he's got chocolate frosting on his face.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 8:35 am

Tennessee was Confederate...but parts of it didn’t recognize that fact.

Andrew Johnson had jurisdiction in certain parts of Tennessee as military governor. He was a staunch Union man, and succeeded Abe Lincoln as President.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 8:49 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

I think that you are confusing Tennessee with its neighbor to the north, Kentucky. Kentucky was a slave state, but stayed in the Union. Tennessee was the last of the eleven states to secede but it did secede, and did finally join the Confederacy on June 8, 1861.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 11:20 am

Drake wrote:

I did not invent the expression although I do really like it.
offense archeology - Urban dictionary
Quote:
Examining the digital past of a contemporary public figure in order to unearth any statements that might be offensive to the ruling class. These offenses are best presented devoid of context or intent, which maximizes the potential for self-righteous virtue signaling among the people who are pretending to be outraged.

Offense archaeology -Washington Examinar
Quote:
That’s what liberalism is, now — the search for baddies doing bad things, like little offense archaeologists, digging deeper and deeper to find out who’s Good and who’s Bad.” That comment is from a May 2017 essay by the writer Freddie deBoer, whose coining of “offense archaeology” looks prescient.

No one is safe from the internet's offence archaeologists - The Telegraph

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2019, 12:00 pm

Firstly, Gov Lee has nothing to apologise for.

Yes, Tennessee was the last state to join the Confederacy and the first to be re-admitted to the Union. That is why the Emancipation Proclamation didn't apply to TN.

Because of the military occupation during the civil war, the TN constitution actually prohibits the state from declaring martial law. Art. I, Sec. 25.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 12:04 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I think that you are confusing Tennessee with its neighbor to the north, Kentucky. Kentucky was a slave state, but stayed in the Union. Tennessee was the last of the eleven states to secede but it did secede, and did finally join the Confederacy on June 8, 1861.

I think you're right. And to think, I have a degree in history!! ! :oops:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 12:06 pm

BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:
Firstly, Gov Lee has nothing to apologise for.

Yes, Tennessee was the last state to join the Confederacy and the first to be re-admitted to the Union. That is why the Emancipation Proclamation didn't apply to TN.

Because of the military occupation during the civil war, the TN constitution actually prohibits the state from declaring martial law. Art. I, Sec. 25.

I think it's the right move to apologize on the governors part. After all, the Confederacy existed solely for the continuation of racially based slavery.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 12:28 pm

Lots of people do things they shouldn't have and come to regret it. However not sure why this is news where people complaining about it...or the Governor just randomly brought up they regret it?

Also though I never viewed Frats as the sort of thing anyone should model their behavior after...never heard of anything good coming out of a frat party or frat houses being pleasant places. I think dressing up as a confederate while mixed up in that toxicity can certainly be forgiven....

At least he didn't get killed by being force fed hard liquor for a ritualistic frat pledge or something. I have read of that happening.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 12:53 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Lots of people do things they shouldn't have and come to regret it. However not sure why this is news where people complaining about it...or the Governor just randomly brought up they regret it?

Also though I never viewed Frats as the sort of thing anyone should model their behavior after...never heard of anything good coming out of a frat party or frat houses being pleasant places. I think dressing up as a confederate while mixed up in that toxicity can certainly be forgiven....

At least he didn't get killed by being force fed hard liquor for a ritualistic frat pledge or something. I have read of that happening.

"Hazing" is the word you're looking for. Lol!

But yeah... you have a point. announcing that you once did sumpin naughty at a frat party shouldn't be considered front page news. Lol!

Last edited by naturalplastic on 22 Feb 2019, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 12:59 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I think you're right. And to think, I have a degree in history!! ! :oops:

Both Abe Lincoln, and Jefferson Davis, were born along the southern banks of the Ohio River in Kentucky.