Cystic Fribrosis patient cast on “New Amsterdam”

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 4:14 pm

Teen with cystic fibrosis cast in NBC show

Quote:
Most of the time, NBC's medical drama "New Amsterdam" employs actors and actresses who pretend to be the sick or injured patients, but in an episode coming up next month, one of those "pretend" patients won't have to act about the nature of her condition.

A North Carolina teen with cystic fibrosis (CF) found her way to the show.

"CF is a genetic disease that affects the lungs and pancreas. The mucus in my body is thick and sticky and that causes me to get more infections in my lungs," said Lilly Knowles, CF patient.

It's something Lilly has battled her whole life.

When "New Amsterdam" put out a casting call looking for a 13-year-old girl who has CF, Lilly auditioned and got the part.

She just spent two weeks in New York shooting the episode.

"I was kind of nervous to meet them. I mean, they're like, famous people. They were just super supportive and they were nice," said Knowles.

In the episode, Lilly gets to portray her everyday reality.

"The fact that they're giving someone who actually has CF an opportunity to play that character is a huge deal. [They're] doing something to raise more awareness of it," she said.

"People who are like, disabled in a sense, they kinda just want to be treated like everyone else."

I am happy for CF community that a Hollywood movie is in theaters centering on thier condition and this development.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman