Page 7 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 12:48 am

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
More than a theory; it's Trump's intent.

Can you provide any proof that is his intent?

Kraichgauer wrote:
I will concede that Obamacare was flawed, but at least the Dems tried. What have the Republicans done for the health of all Americans?

They failed miserably and robbed millions.

A narcissist like Trump lives to undo everything Obama had done, which is the real reason behind pulling out of the Iran deal. He's behaving like the ancient Egyptian Pharaohs who would remove the names of their predecessors from monuments in order to take credit. So far, congressional Republicans say there is no GOP health care plan to replace the ACA, nor will there be.
Seriously? Robbed millions? And what about the millions who got health care coverage under Obama? Don't they matter?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 1:38 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:
I will concede that Obamacare was flawed, but at least the Dems tried. What have the Republicans done for the health of all Americans?

A narcissist like Trump lives to undo everything Obama had done, which is the real reason behind pulling out of the Iran deal. He's behaving like the ancient Egyptian Pharaohs who would remove the names of their predecessors from monuments in order to take credit. So far, congressional Republicans say there is no GOP health care plan to replace the ACA, nor will there be.
Seriously? Robbed millions? And what about the millions who got health care coverage under Obama? Don't they matter?

Don't those who have already had their healthcare taken away matter?
Don't those who had their healthcare taken away and got fined hundreds of dollars a year matter?
Don't those who didn't have healthcare and couldn't afford mandatory obamacare and got fined hundreds of dollars a year matter?

You don't seem to care one bit about those who have been already been robbed of their healthcare and those who have been robbed hundreds of dollars a year in fines. You have never said anything like "that's awful", you just give a lawyer like dismissal of "I will concede that Obamacare was flawed, but at least the Dems tried". Tell me how much it sucks that those millions have suffered so much already, before expecting me to express sorrow over something that hasn't even happened yet.

This is Trump's actual statement of his plans regarding healthcare:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/201 ... ip-vpx.cnn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 1:43 am

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:

Don't those who have already had their healthcare taken away matter?
Don't those who had their healthcare taken away and got fined hundreds of dollars a year matter?
Don't those who didn't have healthcare and couldn't afford mandatory obamacare and got fined hundreds of dollars a year matter?

You don't seem to care one bit about those who have been already been robbed of their healthcare and those who have been robbed hundreds of dollars a year in fines. You have never said anything like "that's awful", you just give a lawyer like dismissal of "I will concede that Obamacare was flawed, but at least the Dems tried". Tell me how much it sucks that those millions have suffered so much already, before expecting me to express sorrow over something that hasn't even happened yet.

What they hell are you talking about?!?! I said everyone should be covered, which is why I support single payer.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 1:58 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
What they hell are you talking about?!?! I said everyone should be covered, which is why I support single payer.

You know perfectly well what I'm talking about. You just don't want to acknowledge that obamacare massively screwed over millions of people.

And you know that Trump's statement is that he wants to deliver a better plan than obamacare, as is presented here on CNN: https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/201 ... ip-vpx.cnn

So now we have to speculate, will he or won't he.

I think he will because outdoing Obama will be more satisfying to his ego than just erasing obamacare.

And also because if he delivers on what he's talking about, it will greatly increase his chance of re-election.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 6:47 am

Lol trump tells over 8,500 lies on his first 2 years in office and you’re going to believe that he’s going to deliver a better healthcare plan/system to the American people? :?

The guy already has ample opportunity. He wanted to repeal and replace Obamacare, but had exactly nothing to replace it with!

I’m betting it’s the same nothing he has now and the only reason he’s talking healthcare is to get re-elected - that’s it, that’s all. There is no plan for healthcare, only a plan to have his healthcare lie believed by enough desperate people to get re-elected.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 8:08 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Lol trump tells over 8,500 lies on his first 2 years in office and you’re going to believe that he’s going to deliver a better healthcare plan/system to the American people? :?

The guy already has ample opportunity. He wanted to repeal and replace Obamacare, but had exactly nothing to replace it with!

I’m betting it’s the same nothing he has now and the only reason he’s talking healthcare is to get re-elected - that’s it, that’s all. There is no plan for healthcare, only a plan to have his healthcare lie believed by enough desperate people to get re-elected.

What happens or not remains to be seen.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 9:54 am

The Real Costs of Russiagate Its perpetrators, not Putin or Trump, “attacked American democracy.”

Quote:
The very few of us who publicly challenged and deplored Russiagate allegations against candidate and then President Donald Trump from the time they first began to appear in mid-2016 should not gloat or rejoice over the US Attorney General’s summary of Robert S. Mueller’s key finding: “The Special Counsel’s investigation did not find that the Trump campaign or anyone associated with it conspired or coordinated with Russia in its efforts to influence the 2016 US presidential election.” (On the other hand, those of us repeatedly slurred as Trump and/or Putin “apologists” might feel some vindication.)

But what about the legions of high-ranking intelligence officials, politicians, editorial writers, television producers, and other opinion-makers, and their eager media outlets that perpetuated, inflated, and prolonged this unprecedented political scandal in American history—those who did not stop short of accusing the president of the United States of being a Kremlin “agent,” “asset,” “puppet,” “Manchurian candidate,” and who characterized his conduct and policies as “treasonous”? (These and other examples are cited in my book War with Russia? From Putin and Ukraine to Trump and Russiagate, and in a recent piece by Paul Starobin in City Journal.) Will they now apologize, as decency requires, or, more importantly, explain their motives so that we might understand and avoid another such national trauma?

Contrary to a number of major media outlets, from Bloomberg News to The Wall Street Journal, nor does Mueller’s exculpatory finding actually mean that “Russiagate…is dead” and indeed that “it expired in an instant.” Such conclusions reveal a lack of historical and political understanding. Nearly three years of Russiagate’s toxic allegations have entered the American political-media elite bloodstream, and they almost certainly will reappear again and again in one form of another.

This is an exceedingly grave danger, because the real costs of Russiagate are not the estimated $25–40 million spent on the Mueller investigation but the corrosive damage it has already done to the institutions of American democracy—damage done not by an alleged “Trump-Putin axis” but by Russsigate’s perpetrators themselves. Having examined this collateral damage in my recently published book War with Russia? From Putin and Ukraine to Trump and Russiagate, I will only note them here.

§ Clamorous allegations that the Kremlin “attacked our elections” and thereby put Trump in the White House, despite the lack of any evidence, cast doubt on the legitimacy of American elections everywhere—national, state, and local. If true, or even suspected, how can voters have confidence in the electoral foundations of American democracy? Persistent demands to “secure our elections from hostile powers”— a politically and financially profitable mania, it seems—can only further abet and perpetuate declining confidence in the entire electoral process. Still more, if some crude Russian social-media outputs could so dupe voters, what does this tell us about what US elites, which originated these allegations, really think of those voters, of the American people?

§ Defamatory Russsiagate allegations that Trump was a “Kremlin puppet” and thus “illegitimate” were aimed at the president but hit the presidency itself, degrading the institution, bringing it under suspicion, casting doubt on its legitimacy. And if an “agent of a hostile foreign power” could occupy the White House once, a “Manchurian candidate,” why not again? Will Republicans be able to resist making such allegations against a future Democratic president? In any event, Hillary Clinton’s failed campaign manager, Robby Mook, has already told us th

Mainstream media are, of course, a foundational institution of American democracy, especially national ones, newspapers and television, with immense influence inside the Beltway and, in ramifying synergic ways, throughout the country. Their Russiagate media malpractice, as I have termed it, may have been the worst such episode in modern American history. No mainstream media did anything to expose, for example, two crucial and fraudulent Russiagate documents—the so-called Steele Dossier and the January 2017 Intelligence Community Assessment—but instead relied heavily on them for their own narratives. Little more need be said here about this institutional self-degradation. Glenn Greenwald and a few others followed and exposed it throughout, and now Matt Taibbi has given us a meticulously documented account of that systematic malpractice, concluding that Mueller’s failure to confirm the media’s Russiagate allegations “is a death-blow for the reputation of the American news media.”

Nor, it must be added, was this entirely inadvertent or accidental. On August 8, 2016, the trend-setting New York Times published on its front page an astonishing editorial manifesto by its media critic. Asking whether “normal standards” should apply to candidate Trump, he explained that they should not: “You have to throw out the textbook American journalism has been using for the better part of the past half-century.” Let others decide whether this Times proclamation unleashed the highly selective, unbalanced, questionably factual “journalism” that has so degraded Russiagate media or instead the publication sought to justify what was already underway. In either case, this remarkable—and ramifying—Times rejection of its own professed standards should not be forgotten. Almost equally remarkable and lamentable, we learn that even now, after Mueller’s finding is known, top executives of the Times and other leading Russiagate media outlets, including The Washington Post and CNN, “have no regrets.”

§ For better or worse, America has a two-party political system, which means that the Democratic Party is also a foundational institution. Little more also need be pointed out regarding its self-degrading role in the Russiagate fraud. Leading members of the party initiated, inflated, and prolonged it. They did nothing to prevent inquisitors like Representatives Adam Schiff and Eric Swalwell from becoming the cable-news face of the party. Or to rein in or disassociate the party from the outlandish excesses of “The Resistance.” With very few exceptions, elected and other leading Democrats did nothing to stop—and therefore further abetted—the institutional damage being done by Russiagate allegations. As for Mueller’s finding,the party’s virtual network, MSNBC, remains undeterred. Rachael Maddow continues to hype “the underlying reality that Russia did in fact attack us.” By any reasonable definition of “attack,” no, it did not, and scarcely any allegation could be more recklessly warmongering, a perception the Democratic Party will for this and other Russiagate commissions have to endure, or not. (When Mueller’s full report is published, we will see if he too indulged in this dangerous absurdity. A few passages in the summary suggest he might have done so.)

Finally, but potentially not least, the new Cold War with Russia has itself become an institution pervading American political, economic, media, and cultural life. Russiagate has made it more dangerous, more fraught with actual war, than the Cold War we survived, as I explain in War with Russia? Recall only that Russiagate allegations further demonized “Putin’s Russia,” thwarted Trump’s necessary attempts to “cooperate with Russia” as somehow “treasonous,” criminalized détente thinking and “inappropriate contacts with Russia”—in short, policies and practices that previously helped to avert nuclear war. Meanwhile, the Russiagate spectacle has caused many ordinary Russians who once admired America to now be “derisive and scornful” toward our political life.

The scarce good news it is that some Russian officials hope Mueller’s Russiagate exoneration of Trump will enable the president to resume his attempts to cooperate with Moscow.

The editor of The New Yorker, itself an ardent Russiagate publication, asks whether “the moral and material corruption [Trump] has inflicted will be with us for a long while.” Perhaps. But the institutional costs of Russiagate are likely to be with us for even longer.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 9:56 am

Trump attacks the Bill of Rights---especially as regards "Freedom of the Press."

He employs similar methods to those employed by dictators (or aspiring dictators).

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 10:07 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Trump attacks the Bill of Rights---especially as regards "Freedom of the Press."

He employs similar methods to those employed by dictators (or aspiring dictators).

I kinda see what you are saying but slightly disagree, while it was wrong to block particular press(not all press) for consistently lying, he is not attacking the bill of rights, that's an overstatement. This basically started during his speeches, left wing media outlets were purposely lying, not showing minorities within the crowds of people and throwing the narrative that only white supremacists are attending his speeches. That is a pretty dirty trick right?? Liberals were giving out Nazi hats or something like that, then the news channel was insisting that it was Trumps campaign people and supporters giving out the Nazi hats(not sure if it was hats exactly). That's pretty low in my opinion, and people still believe it to this day, hence people keep claiming that Trumps base are just racists.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 10:14 am

He said "The Press is the Enemy of the People." That's a pretty broad denunciation of the "press."

We do have to watch this guy for signs that he's trying to assert extra-legal executive power. This sort of thing is very common with aspiring dictators.

Yes, other Presidents have done this sort of thing, too. But Trump is more blatant about it. And that worries me.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 10:27 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
He said "The Press is the Enemy of the People." That's a pretty broad denunciation of the "press."

We do have to watch this guy for signs that he's trying to assert extra-legal executive power. This sort of thing is very common with aspiring dictators.

Yes, other Presidents have done this sort of thing, too. But Trump is more blatant about it. And that worries me.

I think you are worrying for nothing, he did what he always does, he mentions something without the specifics within a particular sentence where within his speech he did specify, then the left takes that sentence out of context and spins it as the various things you here, Mexicans are rapists and murderers, immigrants are bad for the country, white supremacists are fine people and on and on. It should be obvious, if he actually said these things specifically, he would not have a base. Racism isn't that bad in this country, not so bad that a president can get elected by spitting supremacy speech. I know you don't do this, but many just look at white people that support Trump as stupid or racist, it's all because of how left wing media spins it. He does not talk bad about FOX as one example. And to me he is very correct, wouldn't you agree that left wing media completely lying over and over again to act as if hitler is the president and trying to divide the country in a very hateful way would be considered enemy of the people? That's what it sounds like to me, they are trying to cast us into civil war or something, simply because the person they wanted to get elected didn't get elected. Lying to the people to divide them is an attack, thus when they do this over and over, it gets pretty easy to make the claim that they are enemy of the people.

He is not going to ban the press, he had an over reaction, sure, but the press is not banned and he isn't attempting to ban press.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 1:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I think at 72 he's a bit too old to be an aspiring dictator.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 4:19 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

You know perfectly well what I'm talking about. You just don't want to acknowledge that obamacare massively screwed over millions of people.

And you know that Trump's statement is that he wants to deliver a better plan than obamacare, as is presented here on CNN: https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/201 ... ip-vpx.cnn

I think he will because outdoing Obama will be more satisfying to his ego than just erasing obamacare.

And also because if he delivers on what he's talking about, it will greatly increase his chance of re-election.

Again, even if millions of people had been hurt, it was hardly intentional. Yes, the Dems had tried, and they did help millions of people. That's more than the Republicans will ever do, as not many years ago, they had wanted to limit visits to ER's by poor people to just three times. Neither they or Trump have any kind of plan, because heartlessness is a symptom of the right.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 4:39 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Again, even if millions of people had been hurt, it was hardly intentional. Yes, the Dems had tried, and they did help millions of people. That's more than the Republicans will ever do, as not many years ago, they had wanted to limit visits to ER's by poor people to just three times. Neither they or Trump have any kind of plan, because heartlessness is a symptom of the right.

I would say republicans do us some good by preventing full blown socialism and offering a system of opportunity, one of the best systems in my opinion, where people can rise from dirt poor to rich. Republican side stands to protect freedom from government, democrat side stands for protecting people from other people. That's my basic view.

I think it's a rather weak understanding to insist either side isn't useful, or 'no good comes from it'.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 5:33 pm

Crimadella wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I would say republicans do us some good by preventing full blown socialism and offering a system of opportunity, one of the best systems in my opinion, where people can rise from dirt poor to rich. Republican side stands to protect freedom from government, democrat side stands for protecting people from other people. That's my basic view.

I think it's a rather weak understanding to insist either side isn't useful, or 'no good comes from it'.

The very best systems are a combination of capitalism and socialism. As the Republicans are against anything socialistic, they have only helped individuals rise to wealth, but have done nothing for the many, save to take from those who already have little.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 5:47 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Crimadella wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

The very best systems are a combination of capitalism and socialism. As the Republicans are against anything socialistic, they have only helped individuals rise to wealth, but have done nothing for the many, save to take from those who already have little.

Exactly, and that's what republicans fight for, free market and capatilism aND freedom in general, the freedom to guide your own life. Without them, the left would go wild with regulation and controlling people. There are good people on both sides and there are horrible people on both sides.

You have the bad people on both sides also, corporations lobbying for the left and the right. I'm more of an in the middle kinda guy. We need regulations and freedoms. I have ligetimate distrust for the millionaires and billionairea on the left because they claim to want to help people yet under pay them. Same goes for the right. I don't trust socialism because all it ever seems to do is protect the status of very wealthy people, same can be said for the right, which is why we need a balance to prevent from straying toO far in either direction.