Canada warming at twice the global rate, leaked report finds

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 7:56 pm

CBC News: Canada warming at twice the global rate, leaked report finds

:(

I wonder why it's happening faster here? It doesn't really explain that in the article, other than implying it's human directed. Does that mean we're polluting faster than everyone else?

Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 8:01 pm

Looking at the report cited in the article, it would seem it's a combination of natural climate/geological factors and human influence, but human influence is the stronger influence on the increased warming in Canada.

It definitely feels like we've been getting more snow where I live the last few winters, and each summer there seem to be more and more days where the heat index is too high to go outside without risking heat stroke.

It makes me really sad to think not only is it warming faster here, but that we're apparently doing it to ourselves. I think 10 years of Harper's extremely conservative government didn't help. We really need to do better moving forward.

Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 8:14 pm

An opinion piece by Neil MacDonald about the release of the report: CBC News: Report on devastating Canadian climate change a far bigger issue than Jody Wilson-Raybould

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 8:20 pm

Above the Arctic Circle, temperatures are rising much more rapidly than at lower latitudes in Canada.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 9:00 pm

That's to be expected.

The higher the latitude and altitude the more pronounced the warming effect. The equatorial countries are not gonna get much hotter than they already are. Excess heat in the planets atmosphere diffuses off to the cold regions closer to the poles. So Canada would be expected to warm faster than mid latitude and tropical areas because its so far north. And the arctic part of Canada even more so.

It's not because Canadians are polluting any more than anyone else is. The country is part of the natural planetary safety valve. Simialarly they are getting "drunken trees" in Siberia because of the melting permafrost.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 9:26 pm

People who are worried about climate change should probably learn more about it.

Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 9:27 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
That's to be expected.

The higher the latitude and altitude the more pronounced the warming effect. The equatorial countries are not gonna get much hotter than they already are. Excess heat in the planets atmosphere diffuses off to the cold regions closer to the poles. So Canada would be expected to warm faster than mid latitude and tropical areas because its so far north. And the arctic part of Canada even more so.

It's not because Canadians are polluting any more than anyone else is. The country is part of the natural planetary safety valve. Simialarly they are getting "drunken trees" in Siberia because of the melting permafrost.

The report literally says that natural climate effects like altitude are part of the influence, but the greatest influence on the greater increase in temperature in Canada is human influence.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 9:27 pm

And in Greenland, temperatures are no warmer now than in the 1880's.

Source: Greenland No Warmer Now Than The 1880s

Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 9:29 pm

EzraS wrote:
People who are worried about climate change should probably learn more about it.

Or let scientists do the research and then read about what they learn in the reports they produce, like this one. Reading the report is my way of learning about this issue--I can't become a climate scientist myself but I can read the material produced by climate scientists, which is why I shared this article and the report it is about.

Please don't be a jerk in my thread just because you don't like me. This is an important issue for my country that I would like to discuss, especially with other Canadians. Your contribution isn't helping further the discussion.

Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 9:31 pm

Since my fan club is bound to show up in this thread, I'm just going to ignore comments from them and discuss the report with others interested in doing that.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 9:52 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
That's to be expected.

The report literally says that natural climate effects like altitude are part of the influence, but the greatest influence on the greater increase in temperature in Canada is human influence.

Human influence worldwide.

Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 10:08 pm

EzraS wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
That's to be expected.

Yes, and we're (Canadians) responsible for our local contributions--like allowing more fracking and drilling in the north as Harper did. We got cheaper natural gas at the cost of our climate.

I know you're just arguing to argue with me though, you don't really have a point. You will just take an opposing view to anything I post because you find that entertaining, but the problem is that isn't how I like to have discussions online even if you do. You need to find other people who enjoy having those kinds of arguments, and talk to them. There are lots of people on this forum alone who do enjoy to engage in that way, so please engage with them and not with me. Don't insist on forcing discussion between us that I don't want or enjoy. That's not how social interaction is supposed to work, you can't hold people hostage like that and expect them to want to talk to you.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 10:19 pm

EzraS wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
That's to be expected.

Yes, and we're (Canadians) responsible for our local contributions--like allowing more fracking and drilling in the north as Harper did. We got cheaper natural gas at the cost of our climate.

Yes that would be Canada's contribution towards Global Warming.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 10:29 pm

jimmy m wrote:
And in Greenland, temperatures are no warmer now than in the 1880's.

Source: Greenland No Warmer Now Than The 1880s

Very interesting including the commentary. Which included: Climatism

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 10:46 pm

I'm just spit balling, here. But could this be God's punishment to Canada for unleashing Bryan Adams on the world?

(I never get tired of Bran Adams jokes. I really, really can't stand him.)

Oscar Meyer Lansky

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 10:49 pm

Many places in interior and northern Alaska are about 5 degrees Fahrenheit warmer in their winters than 30 years ago.