Page 4 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 10:26 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
... does "cracker" have the same emotional harm behind it that the N word does? Does it really carry anything close to the historical weight of hatred and oppression that the N word carries? I think not.
You may be correct. I know many white people who are just as happy with calling themselves "Crackers" as they were with calling themselves "Rednecks" -- both being racist terms of mixed self-deprecation and pride.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 10:57 am

Jeff Foxworthy, at one time, based his humor almost solely upon the fact that he was a "redneck."

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 11:12 am

Cracker seems more along the lines of white trash and trailer trash. It doesn't bother me any, but it doesn't seem like a term a progressive should be using. I'd think the idea of being progressive would be to avoid using pejoratives.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 11:38 am

These days, "cracker" is not in frequent usage----except amongst black people who dislike white people.

"Trailer trash" has almost fully replaced "cracker" as a sobriquet for a "poor person"--not always, but usually white.

"Rednecks" are not necessarily poor people or "trailer trash."

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 11:44 am

I've certainly viewed cracker as a hate word, as it has been used against several times in a 100% hateful way...f***ING cracker. Racial slurs are used to put down a person of a particular race, in my state, white people only call themselves crackers to I'm late and joke in the same fashion as blacks call themselves the n word, and it is commonly used against whites in a racist manner to show hate of whites typically by blacks and latinos. Many white people in my area do not take kind to be called a cracker because it is typically used as a hate word against whites.that's pretty much all that has to happen to qualify as a racial slur, a word used to show dislike of a particular race. When one discusses racial slurs, they typically do not think of racial slurs as a point system, like which racial slur is worse, I view all racial slurs as equally bad, as they all represent the exact same thing, dislike or hatred towards a person based on what race they belong to.

Also, I'm not a hateful person, I'm a very nice person, so every time I've been called a cracker it was never justified and it was done simply because I'm white and they didn’t like white people.

Last edited by Crimadella on 10 Apr 2019, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2019, 11:46 am

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 12:00 pm

The way I see it, what she did was very disrespectful. She clearly dosen't talk that way naturally, as I grew up around slang, she most certainly was not speaking it correctly, as if it was forced to intentionally mock a way of language she doesn't naturally speak, to blah a sterotype out. She didn’t do it a a comical joke and it was forced, news flash, black people understand english, you don't have to mock the way some of them talk in a very poor way to communicate with them, I'm sure it offended many blacks, I grew up around mostly poor blacks, they don't speak like that, it's no different than trying to fake speaking country to country folks, poor people understand normal English just fine. It's disrespectful to try to 'sound like them' to talk to them. If you were to go around neighborhoods where I'm from with a phony, forced accent like that, you would get your ass kicked pretty quick like because it's a form of mocking and disrespectful.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 2:06 pm

Crimadella wrote:
I have heard that n*gro used to not be a racist word also and I think predates slavery as well....I think. It was based on the word itself, in some languages all it means is black. The evolution of racism words and cuss words is rather odd at times. I heard that FU used to be pluck you, having something to do with a war, and one side cut off the other sides plucking finger so they started saying pluck you? My friend told me about that, I'm not sure if it's true or not?

Up until 1970 or so negro was mainly a purely descriptive word for members of the negroid race. Check out any publication from the 1960s or that is online or any news broadcast or documentary about race relations from that era on youtube. If you use negro that means you are extremely dated, how that has come to mean one is a racist is beyond me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 4:39 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Crimadella wrote:
I have heard that n*gro used to not be a racist word also and I think predates slavery as well....I think. It was based on the word itself, in some languages all it means is black. The evolution of racism words and cuss words is rather odd at times. I heard that FU used to be pluck you, having something to do with a war, and one side cut off the other sides plucking finger so they started saying pluck you? My friend told me about that, I'm not sure if it's true or not?

Up until 1970 or so negro was mainly a purely descriptive word for members of the negroid race. Check out any publication from the 1960s or that is online or any news broadcast or documentary about race relations from that era on youtube. If you use negro that means you are extremely dated, how that has come to mean one is a racist is beyond me.

I've seen racists post on various forums and comment pages, using "negro", or even "Knee grow," in place of the N word, because they know they can't get away with it today. One of them called me a "negro lover." I think we all know what he actually meant.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 4:51 pm

Negro, within a US context, is a racist term which is "ranked" just below the "N" word as something that's racist against people of African descent.

Very occasionally, I hear a black person refer to another black person as a "negro." But this falls in the same category as calling each other "n***a."

Most times, calling someone a "negro" in the US gets you a punch in the face.

It is not nearly as derogatory in the Caribbean---though it could be within certain contexts.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 6:02 pm

Crimadella wrote:
It's disrespectful to try to 'sound like them' to talk to them. If you were to go around neighborhoods where I'm from with a phony, forced accent like that, you would get your ass kicked pretty quick like because it's a form of mocking and disrespectful.

Again you are trying to project your "white perspective" onto the personal perception of the black community? honestly not sure how your opinion carries more weight than the Washington Post?

The African American community were not born yesterday. Intergenerational trauma from how the white community treated the black community in the US where black Americans were threatened with violence by white mobs for daring to register to vote as recently as in the 1960s. It was the democrat party that chose to help the civil rights movement (not the republicans) and Ocasio-Cortez is a known advocate of civil rights and would certainly be taken more seriously by an African American audience than Trump's nest of vipers.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 6:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Crimadella wrote:
It's disrespectful to try to 'sound like them' to talk to them. If you were to go around neighborhoods where I'm from with a phony, forced accent like that, you would get your ass kicked pretty quick like because it's a form of mocking and disrespectful.

Again you are trying to project your "white perspective" onto the personal perception of the black community? honestly not sure how your opinion carries more weight than the Washington Post?

The African American community were not born yesterday. Intergenerational trauma from how the white community treated the black community in the US where black Americans were threatened with violence by white mobs for daring to register to vote as recently as in the 1960s. It was the democrat party that chose to help the civil rights movement (not the republicans) and Ocasio-Cortez is a known advocate of civil rights and would certainly be taken more seriously by an African American audience than Trump's nest of vipers.

Once again you have no idea about my life and what I know, it didn't take long at all for me to find a black guy that was offended, just as I would assume. It's coom on sense that trying to imitate how a person talks as a means of communicating with them seriously is disrespectful. I'm speaking from experience, I've hung out in ghettos and projects, my county was 70% black, I'm speaking from common sense & experience, you are taking the non-experience assumption that you are correct, which kinda highlights why left wing politicians do this crap, out of ignorance and a lack of common sense to understand that it's offensive, it's a no brainer.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 6:29 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Crimadella wrote:

I've seen racists post on various forums and comment pages, using "negro", or even "Knee grow," in place of the N word, because they know they can't get away with it today. One of them called me a "negro lover." I think we all know what he actually meant.

As always it depends on context. The days a lot of people seem to assume just using the word outs you as a racist. The way you have experienced its use would not surprise me. Legitimate words used as insults becoming widely thought of as offensive happens all the time. See ret*d, Autistic, Assburgers.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 6:30 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Crimadella wrote:

Also you are quite wrong, Cortez is a moron middle class women, she didn’t grow up in the hood, I grew up right beside housing projects. You also have an odd, unrealistic view of politics, most people are aware that there are people who care and fight for equal rights on both sides, only dillusional people think their side is the only side which contains good people which fight for the rights of all. You apparently don't keep up with Cortez, she has a negative rating and pretty much cheated to get elected, her approval rate was like 22 the last time I heard, and dropping. She is saying it's because of old white republicans, the truth is the more democrats learn about her the lower her approval rate drops. She screwed them out of a lot of jobs, people aren't happy about that. She is only popular among regressive leftists, and there aren't that many in her own city. She only had around 1600 votes out of over 100thousand people.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 10:11 pm

Crimadella wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Crimadella wrote:

Once again you have no idea about my life and what I know, it didn't take long at all for me to find a black guy that was offended, just as I would assume. It's coom on sense that trying to imitate how a person talks as a means of communicating with them seriously is disrespectful. I'm speaking from experience, I've hung out in ghettos and projects, my county was 70% black, I'm speaking from common sense & experience, you are taking the non-experience assumption that you are correct, which kinda highlights why left wing politicians do this crap, out of ignorance and a lack of common sense to understand that it's offensive, it's a no brainer.

I would imagine that most blacks in your home county vote Democrat. How does your conservatism go down with them?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 12:24 am

Crimadella wrote:
Cortez is a moron middle class women, she didn’t grow up in the hood, I grew up right beside housing projects. You also have an odd, unrealistic view of politics, most people are aware that there are people who care and fight for equal rights on both sides, only dillusional people think their side is the only side which contains good people which fight for the rights of all. You apparently don't keep up with Cortez, she has a negative rating and pretty much cheated to get elected, her approval rate was like 22 the last time I heard, and dropping. She is saying it's because of old white republicans, the truth is the more democrats learn about her the lower her approval rate drops. She screwed them out of a lot of jobs, people aren't happy about that. She is only popular among regressive leftists, and there aren't that many in her own city. She only had around 1600 votes out of over 100thousand people.

And yet she has the backing of Al Sharpton and "excited" the largely African American audience she gave a speech to??
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/2020 ... ?r=US&IR=T

As I said your perception is unlikely to be a great gauge of African American voters. In the same way left leaning news outlets didn't gauge the white voter mood in 2016.