Bernie Sanders: No White people are poor!

Page 3 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 7:58 am

There were many generations of white sharecroppers, too.

Listen to the song “Sixteen Tons.”

Many of them didn’t have the vote until about 1840 or so, because they didn’t own land.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 5:18 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Now now, let's not choke on Bernie's minor faux pas

He of course mean't that white people haven't historically experienced generations of poverty like black Americans (I doubt any white person had to endure slavery or share cropping) but he probably should have chosen his words a little more carefully in the context of the times.

If anything this endears Bernie to my heart even more, after all, too err is to be human, and he's human like the rest of us (unlike the orange haired liar)

What?
Look up history of slaves. White people were slaves. Romans didn’t care about race it was your Roman or your slaves. Neither did many other empires or nations.
Indentured servants are slaves too as it’s made so they can never get out of debt and thus stuck working for no pay for their lives. This happen around same time as black slaves. Still happens today in some nations.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 5:33 pm

Except that the legacy of slavery remains with African Americans (I am amused people are trying to drag what the Romans did from 2000 years ago!! given the Romans civilised our ancestors who were running around Britain naked wearing blue paint).

Up to the 1950s (within people's lifetimes) a black person could be lynched for simply travelling outside of their designated ghetto to look for work, People ridicule African Americans for living in "hoods" but it's white segregationist planners who forced African Americans to live in ghettos (not unlike the ones jews were forced into in Europe). If you can't freely move around to seek employment then you endure poverty over multiple generations which is exactly what Bernie was referring to.

He honestly has nothing to apologise for.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 5:39 pm

You said white people have never been slaves and that’s not true.

White slaves moved on why haven’t black slaves? It’s been 200 years or so. Non of the black slaves are alive except the ones in Africa enslaved by other blacks. But are we trying to atop current slavery? No we instead want to punish people who had nothing to do with slavery that happen 200 years ago of which neither the slaves or enslavers are alive.
So why not punish the Italians for Rome’s slavery? 200 years, 2,000 years what’s the difference birth happen long before any of us were born.
As some blacks have said it’s time to let it go already.
You do know the slavers said the same thing? That they were civilizing blacks. You just used slavery excuse lol as if the romans were the only civilized people, different cultures seen uncivilized.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 5:51 pm

sly279 wrote:

White slaves moved on why haven’t black slaves? It’s been 200 years or so. Non of the black slaves are alive except the ones in Africa enslaved by other blacks. But are we trying to atop current slavery? No we instead want to punish people who had nothing to do with slavery that happen 200 years ago of which neither the slaves or enslavers are alive.
So why not punish the Italians for Rome’s slavery? 200 years, 2,000 years what’s the difference birth happen long before any of us were born.
You do know the slavers said the same thing? That they were civilizing blacks. You just used slavery excuse lol as if the romans were the only civilized people, different cultures seen uncivilized.

But you miss the point. We are recipients of Roman culture. The bad stuff happened 2000 yrs ago.

Blacks on the other hand are still feeling the legacy of slavery right now.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 6:02 pm

All that could be said about blacks. They were running around naked too.
So you could say they’ve benfited a lot from slavery. :roll:

It’s so annoying you defend one type of slavery and hate another due to race.
Slavery in America was 200 years ago it’s over it’s done.

What they are feeing is a corrupt system of riche and poor. Not slavery

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 6:05 pm

Come on, Sly. You know better than that! Think, my friend, Think!

How in the living f**k could they have "benefited" from slavery and being whipped? And even if they weren't whipped.....how could they benefited from being enslaved.

The Africans put into slavery didn't "run around naked." Many of them were Muslims, actually. They believe in Islam and their own native religion together. Even if they weren't Muslims, so what!

They were "ratted" out by rival African tribes, who were also Muslim, primarily.

They were human chattel in the Slave Trade. The b***h is: the one that wound up in North America usually fared better than the ones who wound up in South or Central America.

Probably 1/3 of the people put on slave ships died en route.

Read about the Slave Trade. It's not propaganda.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 6:34 pm

sly279 wrote:

White former indentured servants such as Scotch-Irish and Palatine Germans were quickly absorbed into the general populace, and they soon forgot what their parents and grandparents went through. Blacks, on the other hand, were never welcomed into the general populace till today (and even now, it's on a limited basis), and were always the "other," always never allowed to forget they were regarded as something less than the lowest white man. That's why blacks haven't forgotten slavery.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 6:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Come on, Sly. You know better than that! Think, my friend, Think!

How in the living f**k could they have "benefited" from slavery and being whipped? And even if they weren't whipped.....how could they benefited from being enslaved.

The Africans put into slavery didn't "run around naked." Many of them were Muslims, actually. They believe in Islam and their own native religion together. Even if they weren't Muslims, so what!

They were "ratted" out by rival African tribes, who were also Muslim, primarily.

They were human chattel in the Slave Trade. The b***h is: the one that wound up in North America usually fared better than the ones who wound up in South or Central America.

Probably 1/3 of the people put on slave ships died en route.

Read about the Slave Trade. It's not propaganda.

Notice the :roll:
I simile turned what he said right back at him. The slaves of romans didn’t benifit either but he says they did, and you attack me for pointing out the hypocrisy?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 6:48 pm

The Roman slave, usually, was not as badly treated as the African slaves. Sometimes, obviously, they were, though.

It was much easier for a Roman slave to "buy back freedom." There were times when slaves even lost their "slave status" through showing merit. They had some legal rights; whereas African slaves had virtually none.

The point is, WHITE OR BLACK, they were both slaves. And I don't believe in ANY sort of slavery.

It is incorrect to say that black people in Africa "ran around naked." They were "humans" in the full sense of the word. Their languages are as complex as European languages----sometimes even more complex.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 11 Apr 2019, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 6:49 pm

We have a similar debate in Australia as to why Australian aboriginals can't forget genocide and just "get with the program".

In addition to intergenerational trauma there is constant hurdles they face if they try to assimilate.

Our largest TV station National nine news has hired the first aboriginal newsreader and she is typical of most aborigines in that she looks white (brown hair and blue eyes) with a touch of tan. Even she grew up being abused at school for having a connection to aboriginal culture.
https://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/to ... o/3693127/

You can tell she is still impacted by this one event, It doesn't leave you. What if you experience this every day? it has a psychological impact on your self-esteem and self-worth.

This isn't a victim mentality it's human psychology. In the same way African Americans are probably also sick of the hurdles they have to leap to get to the same position as their white counterparts. You can't simply tell them they are imagining it because they aren't. It's their life.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 6:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The Roman slave, usually, was not as badly treated as the African slaves. Sometimes, obviously, they were, though. It was much easier for a Roman slave to "buy back freedom." There were times when slaves even lost their "slave status" through showing merit.

The point is, WHITE OR BLACK, they were both slaves. And I don't believe in ANY sort of slavery.

That’s bs and you know it. They were whipped, had their balls cut off, forced to fight and die so romans could watch.white slaves didn’t have it any better the black slaves.
Your white subhuman so we’ll treat you nice
Said no slaver owner ever. Being seen as sub human doesn’t matter what race you are.
Romans treated all slaves the same and they took whites, blacks, Arabs, Asians, etc.

Take your left blinders off.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 6:52 pm

sly279 wrote:
Notice the :roll:
I simile turned what he said right back at him. The slaves of romans didn’t benifit either but he says they did, and you attack me for pointing out the hypocrisy?

WHo is attacking you?? this is a debate about what African Americans are feeling...it isn't about you?

rather self-centred

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 6:55 pm

sly279 wrote:
That’s bs and you know it. They were whipped, had their balls cut off, forced to fight and die so romans could watch..

Have you've been watching "Spartacus"? BTW African American slaves had their balls cut off as well....pretty much anything could be done to them as they were chattel...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 6:59 pm

I'm not a leftist. So don't call me that.

I believe people are discriminated against for many reasons: race, ethnic group, socioeconomic status. And I believe we should have the means to curtail this discrimination.

Slavery is slavery----no matter what.

I was a racist until I actually met "people of color."

Just because I believe people shouldn't be discriminated against doesn't make me a "leftist."

It was wrong to say that black people "benefited" from slavery because they were made "civilized" by the white folk. I reacted mostly to that.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 11:35 pm

Last edited by sly279 on 12 Apr 2019, 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.