Bernie Sanders: No White people are poor!

Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 10:37 pm

Actually, the majority of the younger generations, my age and lower, have all accepted eachother as equal. Mixed race friendship groups are common, seems like the south, used to be one of the worse places of racism, now that we have mostly moved on and accepted eachother as equal, the rest of the country seems to still hate eachother. Most people get along just fine, most white people aren't racist, among blacks the ones who are racist are pretty much the ones who decided to self segragate and still believes racism amount whites is common. Among whites it's mostly people over 60 that still have slight racism, not KKK type of racism. Ive walked through all black projects and hoods, as long as you know people you are ok, but some of the people will still say racist things towards whites, I blame that on media, because it paints things out like most white people are racist. That's not my experience. I haven't really met any hardcore racist white people, other than one guy I worked with and he was a compulsive liar, and an all around POS who claimed to be racist yet ironically his best friend was black.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 10:56 pm

Most of the homeless people in NYC are black.

I have met out and out racists (both white and black) worse than Archie Bunker and George Jefferson. Most people I encounter aren’t racists. A race war is not imminent.

My wife is black.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 11:51 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Crimadella wrote:

Apparently he hasn't heard of trailer parks aka the white ghetto, I was raised in one, they do get beat by cops, they do experience poverty and yes, I have even seen someone run someone over with a car, intentionally, and it drug him with his leg caught up around the tire and shattered the bones(Over a woman). So, every bit of that is false, white ghettos exist, they call them trailer parks! O yea, and I also know what it's like to be targeted by police, I have been searched and harassed on many occasions, it's typical in poverty stricken neighbor hoods with lots of drugs, and typically a lot of people have drugs on them, hence, why cops stop poor looking people in bad neighborhoods/areas.

Call me a regionalist bigot, but how much of that has to do with your state of Georgia, or the rest of the Southeast? Since Antebellum times, there has been severe class consciousness in the south - much more than most anywhere else - with poor whites being considered white trash, just a step above blacks. Poor whites were the worst offenders when it came to racism in order to keep blacks one step lower than themselves.
I have to tell you, I have lived near trailer parks, and as a tyke, my great aunt had lived in one. Never have I heard of such abhorrent behavior - of treatment by the police - or by mobile home park denizens in my neck of the woods.

Oregon has tons of poor trailer parks. It’s not regional

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 12:31 am

sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Crimadella wrote:

Apparently he hasn't heard of trailer parks aka the white ghetto, I was raised in one, they do get beat by cops, they do experience poverty and yes, I have even seen someone run someone over with a car, intentionally, and it drug him with his leg caught up around the tire and shattered the bones(Over a woman). So, every bit of that is false, white ghettos exist, they call them trailer parks! O yea, and I also know what it's like to be targeted by police, I have been searched and harassed on many occasions, it's typical in poverty stricken neighbor hoods with lots of drugs, and typically a lot of people have drugs on them, hence, why cops stop poor looking people in bad neighborhoods/areas.

Call me a regionalist bigot, but how much of that has to do with your state of Georgia, or the rest of the Southeast? Since Antebellum times, there has been severe class consciousness in the south - much more than most anywhere else - with poor whites being considered white trash, just a step above blacks. Poor whites were the worst offenders when it came to racism in order to keep blacks one step lower than themselves.
I have to tell you, I have lived near trailer parks, and as a tyke, my great aunt had lived in one. Never have I heard of such abhorrent behavior - of treatment by the police - or by mobile home park denizens in my neck of the woods.

Oregon has tons of poor trailer parks. It’s not regional

Yes, as does Washington. I'm saying that the south had had a very stringent class system for centuries that might account for the way Crimadella was treated as garbage by the police, and why life there could be likened to living in a ghetto.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 1:39 am

He doesn't mean that there are literally no poor white people lol Bernie himself doesn't originally come out of a place of wealth and he's been more than privy to the people financially struggling to get by in VT; which is still a predominantly white state.

Some of this statement was an aim to let the black community that he is 'aware' of them. As many there have been vocal in saying that they aren't so sure he really will be standing up for the things they have endured disproportionately (now and past), do to the color of their skin. (Hence why he said all of this to a question about his blind spots)

Essentially, to me what he's saying is basically that when you're white you can't understand what it's like to be black. Because being white has and still does in many places, automatically put you in a tier above. Bernie was touching in on white privilege. "You don't know what it's like to be living in a ghetto", "You don't know what it's like to be poor", "You don't know what it's like to be hassled when you walk down the street or when you get dragged out of a car" - when you're black and because you're black.

I could be off base but that's what I perceived from what he said.

I think the majority of people aren't racists but I do think a lot of people have some kind of racist bias within them. Not that they necessarily mean to be, but it's something that somewhere along the line that was heard of seen and simply planted a little seed, a notion. So we (I mean everyone, of any color) may exhibit racial bias without even realizing it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 1:44 am

Alterity wrote:
He doesn't mean that there are literally no poor white people lol Bernie himself doesn't originally come out of a place of wealth and he's been more than privy to the people financially struggling to get by in VT; which is still a predominantly white state.

Some of this statement was an aim to let the black community that he is 'aware' of them. As many there have been vocal in saying that they aren't so sure he really will be standing up for the things they have endured disproportionately (now and past), do to the color of their skin. (Hence why he said all of this to a question about his blind spots)

Essentially, to me what he's saying is basically that when you're white you can't understand what it's like to be black. Because being white has and still does in many places, automatically put you in a tier above. Bernie was touching in on white privilege. "You don't know what it's like to be living in a ghetto", "You don't know what it's like to be poor", "You don't know what it's like to be hassled when you walk down the street or when you get dragged out of a car" - when you're black and because you're black.

I could be off base but that's what I perceived from what he said.

I think the majority of people aren't racists but I do think a lot of people have some kind of racist bias within them. Not that they necessarily mean to be, but it's something that somewhere along the line that was heard of seen and simply planted a little seed, a notion. So we (I mean everyone, of any color) may exhibit racial bias without even realizing it.

I concur.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 1:53 am

Sure glad my low melanin keeps my wallet from running dry.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Apr 2019, 2:11 am

I see a similar phenomenon in Europe: the left focuses on distressed minorities to the point they deny any distress in non-minorities. This is likely why they lose votes to the far right who tends to play on the fears and problems of low-income majority and offers them pride.
Well, democracy isn't perfect.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 3:13 am

I have to wonder if some elements of the progressives are masochists. First there was Hillary’s “deplorables” then recently there is all these Dem candidates endorsing reparations and now this. To use a favorite progressive phrase “this is not normal”. Politicians most often have narcissistic traits and will usually say anything to try and please everybody. It is almost like they want Trump to be re-elected.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 8:57 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I have to wonder if some elements of the progressives are masochists. First there was Hillary’s “deplorables” then recently there is all these Dem candidates endorsing reparations and now this. To use a favorite progressive phrase “this is not normal”. Politicians most often have narcissistic traits and will usually say anything to try and please everybody. It is almost like they want Trump to be re-elected.

Yea, you could see how eager all of the candidates were to say, yes they will support repatriations, they are doing exactly what politicians are famous for, just telling people what they want to hear in such a phony way. There is no way to give reparations, not that I can see. Who pays for it? People who never had slaves? people who faught slavery? People who moved here after slavery? One guy claimed corporations would pay for it, you mean corporations which blacks and people never involved with slavery pay for people who had slaves a hundred years ago? If they take that to the debates they are going to get slaughtered, there is no way to pay for it without making people who had absolutely nothing to do with slavery pay for things they have never supported. It's a political show is all, that's why none of them are saying anything about how it's going to be payed for and by whom.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 9:09 am

Alterity wrote:
He doesn't mean that ...
There is no need for anyone to act as his interpreter or apologist. Let him speak for himself.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 1:26 pm

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 1:58 pm

Shrapnel wrote:

I think it's more so that media is trying to divide america, they are the ones pushing the divisive material.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 4:22 am

Now now, let's not choke on Bernie's minor faux pas

He of course mean't that white people haven't historically experienced generations of poverty like black Americans (I doubt any white person had to endure slavery or share cropping) but he probably should have chosen his words a little more carefully in the context of the times.

If anything this endears Bernie to my heart even more, after all, too err is to be human, and he's human like the rest of us (unlike the orange haired liar)

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 6:14 am

He doesn't believe that.

He sees people as poor , needy, helpless fish flopping around.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 7:54 am

cyberdad wrote:
Now now, let's not choke on Bernie's minor faux pas

He of course mean't that white people haven't historically experienced generations of poverty like black Americans (I doubt any white person had to endure slavery or share cropping) but he probably should have chosen his words a little more carefully in the context of the times.

If anything this endears Bernie to my heart even more, after all, too err is to be human, and he's human like the rest of us (unlike the orange haired liar)

Apparently you don't have much knowledge about generations of white people, not all white families have wealth through generations, in fact, some have been dirt poor throughout many generations. His problem is focusing on identity, people are individuals, even white people.