Bernie Sanders: No White people are poor!

Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 6:23 pm

PolitiFact dings Sanders for saying white people don't know poverty

PolitiFact criticized Bernie Sanders' understanding of poverty on Monday, after the Vermont senator said during Sunday's Democratic presidential debate that white people don't know what it's like to be poor.

"Sanders was certainly wrong to suggest that whites haven’t experienced poverty," the Florida-based organization wrote in giving his statement a false rating. "In 2014, there were actually more white Americans in poverty — 19.7 million— than members of any other group."

"Part of the reason, of course, is that there are more white Americans than there are members of minority groups overall. (Whites account for 62 percent of the population.) Still, even though whites have a lower poverty rate than other groups -- roughly 10 percent —even that percentage is hardly trivial."

Sanders' statement during the debate in Flint, Michigan, followed a question from CNN anchor Don Lemon, who asked him and Hillary Clinton what racial blind spots they have.

Sanders said; "When you’re white, you don’t know what it’s like to be living in a ghetto. You don’t know what it’s like to be poor. You don’t know what it’s like to be hassled when you walk down the street or you get dragged out of a car."

Article Link Politico

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 6:38 pm

Typical politician -- no clue as to how the real world operates.

Bernie Sanders should spend at least a week living on Skid Row, without bodyguards, mobile phones, credit cards, or clean underwear. He'll see for himself that there is a roughly even split between blacks and whites, with Hispanics and Asians making up less than a quarter of the homeless population. That is, if he survives the first night.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 7:23 pm

That was a totally dumbass thing for Bernie Sanders to say. Totally ridiculous.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 7:25 pm

I have to wonder if Bernie hadn't just misspoken, or if he was even quoted out of context.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 7:31 pm

Apparently he hasn't heard of trailer parks aka the white ghetto, I was raised in one, they do get beat by cops, they do experience poverty and yes, I have even seen someone run someone over with a car, intentionally, and it drug him with his leg caught up around the tire and shattered the bones(Over a woman). So, every bit of that is false, white ghettos exist, they call them trailer parks! O yea, and I also know what it's like to be targeted by police, I have been searched and harassed on many occasions, it's typical in poverty stricken neighbor hoods with lots of drugs, and typically a lot of people have drugs on them, hence, why cops stop poor looking people in bad neighborhoods/areas.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 7:38 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I have to wonder if Bernie hadn't just misspoken, or if he was even quoted out of context.

I've questioned that regarding the president numerous times.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 7:44 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Or if he really is as much of a racist jerk as Mr. Trump.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 7:47 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

And you'd be wrong.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 7:55 pm

Crimadella wrote:

Apparently he hasn't heard of trailer parks aka the white ghetto, I was raised in one, they do get beat by cops, they do experience poverty and yes, I have even seen someone run someone over with a car, intentionally, and it drug him with his leg caught up around the tire and shattered the bones(Over a woman). So, every bit of that is false, white ghettos exist, they call them trailer parks! O yea, and I also know what it's like to be targeted by police, I have been searched and harassed on many occasions, it's typical in poverty stricken neighbor hoods with lots of drugs, and typically a lot of people have drugs on them, hence, why cops stop poor looking people in bad neighborhoods/areas.

Call me a regionalist bigot, but how much of that has to do with your state of Georgia, or the rest of the Southeast? Since Antebellum times, there has been severe class consciousness in the south - much more than most anywhere else - with poor whites being considered white trash, just a step above blacks. Poor whites were the worst offenders when it came to racism in order to keep blacks one step lower than themselves.
I have to tell you, I have lived near trailer parks, and as a tyke, my great aunt had lived in one. Never have I heard of such abhorrent behavior - of treatment by the police - or by mobile home park denizens in my neck of the woods.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 8:09 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Crimadella wrote:

Call me a regionalist bigot, but how much of that has to do with your state of Georgia, or the rest of the Southeast? Since Antebellum times, there has been severe class consciousness in the south - much more than most anywhere else - with poor whites being considered white trash, just a step above blacks. Poor whites were the worst offenders when it came to racism in order to keep blacks one step lower than themselves.
I have to tell you, I have lived near trailer parks, and as a tyke, my great aunt had lived in one. Never have I heard of such abhorrent behavior - of treatment by the police - or by mobile home park denizens in my neck of the woods.

Yea, I would say that first statement was accurate. Always a racist spin with a hardcore leftist, so now, white people in white ghettos are racist to put them one step above blacks :roll: We typically hung out with blacks, people in poverty tend to mingle together and race is non-important.(for the ones who get along anyway) Lets see, I have been called 'white boy' and 'cracker' in a hateful way countless times, how many times have a seen a white person call a black person a racist word IRL? 0 times.

It's actually very common for trailer parts to be like that, apparent'y you don't know as much as you think you do about trailer parks, I've lived in them and have heard about them my entire life until 6 years ago. Notice how even black comedians joke about it? I seriously doubt is a SE only thing. There are many different kinds of trailer parks, they aren't all bad, they have more upscale trailer parks and they have very bad trailer parks, they have redneck trailer parks and they have non-redneck trailer parks, they even have mixed race trailer parks. The one I lived in for most of my life was initially mostly white and over many years became more diverse, white, latinos and blacks.

I'm assuming you probably live in a northern, mostly white state?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 8:18 pm

You should watch "Cops" sometimes.

It's bad in those trailer parks----trust me!

Just like most people in housing projects are decent people, most people in trailer parks are decent, too. But the "bad element" ruins it for everybody else.

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 8:20 pm

So, white people don't know what it's like to be poor, if they elect Bernie, they will find out.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 8:30 pm

:P

If what Bernie Sanders said was true, there wouldn't be any white people who are homeless!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 8:53 pm

The majority of homeless people I see are white.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 8:55 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

And you'd be wrong.

No I have found out that I was right several times.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 10:02 pm

Crimadella wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Crimadella wrote:

Yea, I would say that first statement was accurate. Always a racist spin with a hardcore leftist, so now, white people in white ghettos are racist to put them one step above blacks :roll: We typically hung out with blacks, people in poverty tend to mingle together and race is non-important.(for the ones who get along anyway) Lets see, I have been called 'white boy' and 'cracker' in a hateful way countless times, how many times have a seen a white person call a black person a racist word IRL? 0 times.

It's actually very common for trailer parts to be like that, apparent'y you don't know as much as you think you do about trailer parks, I've lived in them and have heard about them my entire life until 6 years ago. Notice how even black comedians joke about it? I seriously doubt is a SE only thing. There are many different kinds of trailer parks, they aren't all bad, they have more upscale trailer parks and they have very bad trailer parks, they have redneck trailer parks and they have non-redneck trailer parks, they even have mixed race trailer parks. The one I lived in for most of my life was initially mostly white and over many years became more diverse, white, latinos and blacks.

I'm assuming you probably live in a northern, mostly white state?

I'm big enough to apologize. I should have specified that I was talking about the south of years ago when it came to race hatred (though no region is entirely free of that). But I still believe your part of the country there is still deeply ingrained class distinction; hence referring to people in your economic condition as white trash. And no, I'm not calling you white trash.
And yes, I come from the Pacific Northwest, which is admittedly lily white.