Deinonychus

17 Apr 2019, 6:47 pm

idk what admission offices exactly look for nowadays

Its like hits and misses .. idk

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 1:28 am

Well that's what the tiger mom's are protesting about. The class action lawyers are using the argument "How long is a piece of string".

In other words where is the boundary between a sincere applicant with compassion and empathy Vs a money hungry, status conscious opportunist.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 8:24 am

It's a good thing this came out before my parents started trying to enroll me. Talk about dodging a bullet.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 9:14 am

cyberdad wrote:
Well that's what the tiger mom's are protesting about. The class action lawyers are using the argument "How long is a piece of string".

In other words where is the boundary between a sincere applicant with compassion and empathy Vs a money hungry, status conscious opportunist.

Very few people go to college for "personal development".

It's all about the money.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 7:19 pm

That's valid and I think when it comes to merit based entry the parents have a point.
This also (curiously) dovetails with the hate-speech debate on social media in terms of what exactly constitutes inflammatory language (a dilemma our hard working WP moderators also grapple with)

So parents feel that if the child has studied day and night and parents have invested thousands of hours driving their kids to extra curricular tutoring for 12 years only to be told they will not be a doctor because there is evidence their straight A child only wants to enter medical school because they are being pushed by their parents or because the child shows self-centred narcissistic tendencies (cue every surgeon in the world) then I guess the parents have a legitimate gripe.

An interview selection panel should be open to scrutiny if subjective criteria has been applied. I know a student, a few years ago now, who was rejected to almost every medical school in Australia simply because both her parents were doctors and her brother and sister were doctors so (ergo) the only reason she was entering the medical profession was because of family pressure (which might very well have been the case to join the family business).

These steps may be harsh but I understand it's to protect future patients from having uncaring or unscrupulous doctors. There is a reason why the medical profession have such a high disproportionate number of addicts, narcissists and sociopaths and the pressure of the job can trigger these underlying tendencies on the job.