Trump: Illegal Immigrants Released to Sanctuary Cities

Page 1 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 6:34 pm

I don't think any of this counts as making America great again if that involves bias against certain groups of people. If you're actually going to make the country "great", it's not all about you.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Last edited by cberg on 15 Apr 2019, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 6:34 pm

Only 2 percent of the immigrants who came into Ellis Island were rejected, by the way. That's 20,000 per million people.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 6:35 pm

My name is on Ellis.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 6:40 pm

My grandmother and her brothers and sisters came through Ellis Island in 1910.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 6:40 pm

No need to worry. Despite the resistance, the US will probably have 100 million more people from Central and South America living here by 2025. So you know relax folks, it's going to happen.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 6:42 pm

The poem which is etched on the Statue of Liberty speak of "huddled masses."

The immigrants passing the Statue of Liberty towards Ellis Island certainly were "huddled masses."

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 6:47 pm

EzraS wrote:
No need to worry. Despite the resistance, the US will probably have 100 million more people from Central and South America living here by 2025. So you know relax folks, it's going to happen.

Considering that a billion people fit just fine in a smaller country, what's your point?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 8:57 pm

cberg wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Considering that a billion people fit just fine in a smaller country, what's your point?

China has an overpopulation crisis. So does India which is 2nd on the list. But the US only comes in 3rd on the list.

I thought I made my point clear; folks don't need to worry about the US getting the tens of millions of immigrants they want so much. It's going to happen, they just need to be a little patient.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 9:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The poem which is etched on the Statue of Liberty speak of "huddled masses."

The immigrants passing the Statue of Liberty towards Ellis Island certainly were "huddled masses."

That is what the poet Emma Lazarus had in mind when she wrote that. Should what a poet wrote on a statue we got from France dictate that the US is supposed to keep taking in millions of people in perpetuity?

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 10:37 pm

warrier120 wrote:
Apparently, Trump says that by releasing large numbers of illegal immigrants to sanctuary cities, he is trying to overwhelm the sanctuary cities in hopes of causing them to collapse.

It's not exactly a nice tactic by any means, and to me, it seems a bit dirty and fishy.

No, but according to the people who support sanctuary cities taking on illegal immigrants will not cause the cities to collapse.

I'm with Fnord this plan makes perfect sense (if the administration can get the courts to sign off on it). Places in the country that think we should be taking on illegal immigrants volunteer to do so. Places that think we should be deporting illegal immigrants, get to move them quickly to another U.S. locale with a clean conscience.

From a humanitarian perspective immigrants are almost certainly better off in sanctuary cities than border detention centers.

If, the sanctuary cities find themselves overwhelmed, it is proof positive that blanket acceptance of illegal immigrants is poor policy.

I'm not a Trump fan, but will give him credit where credit is due.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 10:46 pm

cberg wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Define "fitting fine." There are two countries with 1 billion people China and India. China has a larger land mass than the continental US (remember Alaska is very very big), and India has one of the most severe overpopulation crisises on the planet. China also famously implemented a draconian one child policy to curb population growth.

The per capita income in both countries is pitiful compared to the U.S. 95% of the US population is considered middle income or higher on a global scale. In China that is just about 22%. In India that is 3.3%. China is the wealthier country by far, but pollutes at nearly double that of the U.S.

Also I highly doubt the U.S. will have 100 million immigrants by 2025. Maybe 2075.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 11:16 pm

Antrax wrote:
I'm not a Trump fan, but will give him credit where credit is due.

Sorry but that makes you an orange god emperor worshiper by default.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 11:28 pm

cberg wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well not sure what will come of Trumps idea, I suppose all anyone can do is wait and see. That said I heard of a proposal in my state to give undocumented immigrants a path to citizenship. Also though they aren't all 'illegal immigrants' some are legitimate asylum seekers...granted I don't think the Trump administration acknowledges the difference.

IDK at this point I am just waiting to see how it plays out.

The irony is how many of these people might soon want asylum from this oh so "great" place too.

They stand a better chance of making their lives better here than they do where they are from. They aren't just going to look to move from here asap they'll try to start new lives here which in effect just stimulates economy since they will be contributing.

Vila
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2019, 11:50 pm

Will you liberals make up your mind?! First you want the illegals now you don't want them.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:01 am

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:46 am

Id rather they move some immigrants into all the new housing they are building around denver, rather than snooty yuppies who can pay 12,000 a month on a fancy upscale apartment.