Trump: Illegal Immigrants Released to Sanctuary Cities

Page 4 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:03 pm

As long as cheap labor is needed, immigrants -- especially the illegal ones -- will provide it. The only thing that replaces cheap labor is even cheaper labor, robots included.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:03 pm

Quite a few of the Irish actually did emigrate from the Potato Famine. I would say at least a third of the population at that time. I don't know exactly----but I would say between 1 and 2 million.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:05 pm

EzraS wrote:
I think a better comparison from the past is the all Irish suddenly flowing in because of the potato famine.
You may be correct ... IIRC, most of them had to go to Canada due to America's strict quotas and standards against "The Irish Problem".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:07 pm

Many of them wound up in New York City.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:13 pm

There existed the Irish Problem, the Italian Problem, the Jewish Problem, the Chinese Problem, etc......this has been going on since immigration to this country began.

Now....it's those Central Americans and Mexicans!

Of course, this is not a new phenomenon.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Many of them wound up in New York City.
... and Boston, and Charleston, and Atlanta, and ... just about any place there was a need for cheap labor and no "Irish Need Not Apply" signs. The following data are from the Irish Genealogy website:

... when famine was raging in Ireland, Irish immigration to America came from two directions: by transatlantic voyage to the East Coast Ports (primarily Boston and New York) or by land or sea from Canada, then called British North America. Ireland was also part of Britain, and fares to Canada were cheaper than fares to the USA, especially after 1847. Those that survived the journey often had just one thought on their minds: to be free of British oppression. While many chose to settle in Canada, substantially more managed to find the physical and financial resources to reach America ... The data reveals that immigration to New York had been the preference for nearly half a million (483,000) Irish-born settlers. Of these, 190,000 were in New York City. More than a quarter of a million (260,000) had settled in Massachusetts, chiefly in Boston, while Illinois also had a sizable population of 124,000 of which 79,000 were in Chicago.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't anticipate 100 million Central Americans coming to America over the next few years....

I still feel the "guest worker" program was something that could have worked.

In the year 1907, over 1 million immigrants passed through Ellis Island. Many of them happened to wind up in major population centers, causing the overcrowding which is feared would happen with immigrants today.

I believe there could be a problem caused by more mechanized farming----because they would replace the farm workers now employed (many of whom are immigrants).

Cities are already badly overcrowded these days. The more people coming in the more overcrowded they're going to get. Even the area I live in which used to be the sticks is horribly overcrowded. The main roads and freeways in what used to be a rural county are severely congested. There's a severe housing shortage. People are already on long waiting lists for housing. There are very few for rent or for sale signs around and they don't stay up very long. We just made it in before the big crunch when rent and house costs went through the roof.

Last edited by EzraS on 16 Apr 2019, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:16 pm

Fnord wrote:
It's a ploy to shame the Sanctuary Cities into either "putting up" or "shutting up". The leaders of those cities know that if they accept Mr. Trump's offer, they will be putting a burden on their already-strained city budgets; and if they don't accept Mr. Trump's offer, they will be exposed as virtue-signalling hypocrites. It's lose-lose for the Sanctuary Cities.

Think "Poker", not "Chess".

Exactly this. The sanctuary cities have to put up or shut up.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:24 pm

Yep....all those places.

But the Irish eventually assimilated into the American Fabric......then the Jews, Italians, etc. of the early 20th century. Then the Puerto Ricans and people from other Hispanic lands (though, of course, Puerto Ricans were already Americans). Then people from the southern Caribbean Basin......most of those people desired the American Dream.

That's the classical immigrant experience. And it is continuing today. First, they are huddled in overcrowded conditions. Then the sons and daughters graduate school, and get good jobs, because the parents drummed into them the importance of an education. Then they moved to the suburbs to live out that "American Dream." Of course, not all "made it. But many did.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:24 pm

Antrax wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It's a ploy to shame the Sanctuary Cities into either "putting up" or "shutting up". The leaders of those cities know that if they accept Mr. Trump's offer, they will be putting a burden on their already-strained city budgets; and if they don't accept Mr. Trump's offer, they will be exposed as virtue-signalling hypocrites. It's lose-lose for the Sanctuary Cities. Think "Poker", not "Chess".
"I Call."

:twisted:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:30 pm

I've lived amongst immigrants virtually all my life.

I can get used to a few more....

Many of them, if they come to New York, will be taken care of by their families. It'll become the families' problem.

Of course, there will be problems. Just like in the old days.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There existed the Irish Problem, the Italian Problem, the Jewish Problem, the Chinese Problem, etc......this has been going on since immigration to this country began.

Now....it's those Central Americans and Mexicans!

Of course, this is not a new phenomenon.

I think the difference is the Central Americans and Mexicans problem started back in the 70's and has been steadily getting worse. And now there's the gigantic caravans influx. That's not what happened with the others. There was an influx that lasted a certain period of time and then subsided. This one has been growing exponentially for decades.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:33 pm

It was pretty "caravan-like" back in the early 1900s----make no mistake about that.....

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:40 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It was pretty "caravan-like" back in the early 1900s----make no mistake about that.....

But this isn't the 1900's. Or the early 20th century. All those people are long dead and times have changed considerably. Ellis Island shut down a long time ago, before you were born.

Last edited by EzraS on 16 Apr 2019, 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:47 pm

EzraS wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
But this isn't the 1900's. Or the early 20th century. All those people are long dead and times have changed considerably. Ellis Island shut down a long time ago.
Yes. While we may cite examples from history, that in no way implies that those events are still extant in our time. However, I fear that some of the conditions of those times may be seen again in this time; thus I fear a resurgence of hatred toward foreigners, especially immigrants who enter this country with no skills, no money, and no vested interest in supporting this country in mind, body and spirit.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:49 pm

Fnord wrote:
Antrax wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It's a ploy to shame the Sanctuary Cities into either "putting up" or "shutting up". The leaders of those cities know that if they accept Mr. Trump's offer, they will be putting a burden on their already-strained city budgets; and if they don't accept Mr. Trump's offer, they will be exposed as virtue-signalling hypocrites. It's lose-lose for the Sanctuary Cities. Think "Poker", not "Chess".
"I Call."

:twisted: