Page 5 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:49 pm

Fnord wrote:
Antrax wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It's a ploy to shame the Sanctuary Cities into either "putting up" or "shutting up". The leaders of those cities know that if they accept Mr. Trump's offer, they will be putting a burden on their already-strained city budgets; and if they don't accept Mr. Trump's offer, they will be exposed as virtue-signalling hypocrites. It's lose-lose for the Sanctuary Cities. Think "Poker", not "Chess".
Exactly this. The sanctuary cities have to put up or shut up.
"I Call."

:twisted:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:52 pm

From a personal standpoint, I don't care how many more people enter the US to live, it doesn't affect my personal bubble whatsoever. But I don't think the 'what about way back when, what about the statue of liberty and ellis island?' argument is a realistic comparison to what's going on in 2019.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:52 pm

One big difference between now and the early 1900s is there was no welfare state in the early 1900s. Entitlement payments of Medicare, Medicaid, and social security are three of the four largest expenditures of the government (military spending is the 4th and ranks I believe 3rd among that group). None of these programs existed in the 1900s and the U.S. "peacetime" deficit and debt spending is historically high. (Note: I say "peacetime," because while fighting two wars right now we are not committing the majority of the countries resources to those wars like say when world war II or the Civil War was being waged)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:58 pm

Always be ready to back up your claims.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:59 pm

What the world needs now is a young really large booming country that needs to be filled up.

That used to be what the US was, but it just isn't any longer.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 1:00 pm

Drake wrote:
Fnord wrote:
"I Call."

That's all ya got? 3 eights and a joker?!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 1:03 pm

EzraS wrote:
What the world needs now is a young really large booming country that needs to be filled up. That used to be what the US was, but it just isn't any longer.
Yeah, when the U.S. and Canada needed to fill and develop their territories, immigrants were welcome.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 1:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
Drake wrote:
Fnord wrote:
"I Call."

That's all ya got? 3 eights and a joker?!

That's the new Trump Card. They call that a Full White House. :P

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 1:35 pm

Fnord wrote:

Always be ready to back up your claims.

I appreciate being shown to be correct. Although to be fully correct I should have said single expenditures, as technically discretionary spending is an expenditure, just not a single expenditure.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 1:44 pm

EzraS wrote:
From a personal standpoint, I don't care how many more people enter the US to live, it doesn't affect my personal bubble whatsoever. But I don't think the 'what about way back when, what about the statue of liberty and ellis island?' argument is a realistic comparison to what's going on in 2019.

Well immigrants may have come with criminal intentions during either time period, but they're a major boon to the economy either way. For that matter, many ethnic groups who came through Ellis Island were subject to violent racist conflicts. I don't think that's changed very much at all. If anything, racism today is represented by partisan infighting & violent disagreement among white Americans more than it is by white supremacists. Just because racists are neatly concealed in MAGA riots full of white people does not mean they're being fair.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 5:46 pm

Drake wrote:
He knows people, he understands people keenly. He knows how to size people up and get the measure of them, he knows how to get what he wants from them, how to deal with them, and how to just deflect everything they throw at him, it all just bounces off. He knows how to inspire his supporters. I can't recall any political figure continuing to sell merchandise after the campaign is over. They're still pumping out those MAGA hats and other merchandise. That Twitter feed of his for all the criticism it gets also works in his favour..

Yes this makes him a populist leader to a particular demographic in middle America (we know which one). Populist leaders rely on slogans not policy, Hey guess what Trump fits the bill nicely, America have gone from reasonable qualified leaders to populist presidents who remind me of tin-pot dictatorships in the third world. Nice...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 5:48 pm

EzraS wrote:
So Norway is a better country than those countries in Central and South America. You make it clear how crappy those countries are and how nice Norway is, yet when Trump says the same thing, he's being racist.

Where did I compare Norway with South America??

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 11:08 pm

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
So Norway is a better country than those countries in Central and South America. You make it clear how crappy those countries are and how nice Norway is, yet when Trump says the same thing, he's being racist.

Where did I compare Norway with South America??

You didn't directly. I'm talking about how you and others have described the two individually.

Those who have objected to Trump's alleged s**thole countries statement and his rapists, murderers, bad hombres statements, have gone on to say themselves how those countries are full of rapists, murderers, bad hombres.

There was the objection to Trump extolling Norway as racist, and then you yourself extolled Norway.

You know the drill as you say, you know what I am talking about.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 11:11 pm

I'm half Norwegian, exceptionalism concerning any country is racist. Saying one country is better than another is no better than saying one country is worse than any other.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 11:15 pm

cberg wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Well immigrants may have come with criminal intentions during either time period, but they're a major boon to the economy either way. For that matter, many ethnic groups who came through Ellis Island were subject to violent racist conflicts. I don't think that's changed very much at all. If anything, racism today is represented by partisan infighting & violent disagreement among white Americans more than it is by white supremacists. Just because racists are neatly concealed in MAGA riots full of white people does not mean they're being fair.

If illegal immigrants are a boon to the economy, why would conservative capitalists want to keep them out?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 11:27 pm

cberg wrote:
I'm half Norwegian, exceptionalism concerning any country is racist. Saying one country is better than another is no better than saying one country is worse than any other.

The very essence of people fleeing Central and South American counties to have a better life in the United Sates, is unequivocally stating that the United States is a better country. It's being made very clear that countries in Central and South American are worse countries, than the countries their citizens are wanting to relocate to.

If asked why there isn't a long line of Norwegian citizens seeking to relocate to the US, the answer is going to be not only is Norway a much better country than those in Central and South America so that need doesn't exist, but also that Norway in several ways can be considered a better country than the US.