Peggy Lipton “Mod Squad”, “Twin Peaks” R.I.P.

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 1:27 pm

Actress Peggy Lipton, star of ‘The Mod Squad’ and ‘Twin Peaks,’ dies at 72

Quote:
Actress and former model Peggy Lipton, who rose to stardom in the late 1960s on the counterculture police series “The Mod Squad” and later starred on TV’s “Twin Peaks,” has died. She was 72.

Her death from cancer was announced Saturday by Kidada and Rashida Jones, her daughters from a marriage to famed music producer Quincy Jones.

“She made her journey peacefully with her daughters and nieces by her side,” Lipton’s daughters said in a statement to the Los Angeles Times. “We feel so lucky for every moment we spent with her.”

Born in New York on Aug. 30, 1946, Lipton began modeling at age 15 and quickly found herself in demand. At age 19, she made her television debut on the sitcom “The John Forsythe Show,” going on to make appearances on such series as “Bewitched,” “The Alfred Hitchcock Hour” and “The Virginian.”

The waifish, blond Lipton had just turned 21 when she rocketed to fame in 1968 as the street-smart flower child Julie Barnes, one of a trio of Los Angeles undercover “hippie cops” on the ABC crime series “The Mod Squad.”

One of pop culture’s first efforts to reckon seriously with the counterculture — and one of the first TV shows to feature an interracial cast — the series, which costarred Michael Cole and Clarence Williams III, dealt with issues such as domestic violence, abortion, police brutality, the Vietnam War and drugs. Over five seasons, the series earned Lipton, one of the “it” girls of her time, four Emmy nominations and a 1971 Golden Globe award for best actress in a TV drama.
Her role and later marriage to Jones, who is black, put Lipton at the center of the passions of a restive America dealing with racism and a post-World War II generation who were breaking free from their parents. The “Mod Squad’s” edgy music and hip slang marked a significant shift from “Gunsmoke” and “Leave It to Beaver.” But while the show turned the mini-skirt-and-bell-bottoms-clad Lipton into a fashion icon, she found the spotlight uncomfortable.
“I never saw myself as trend-setting,” Lipton told The Times in 1993. “We were always working. Fame really drove me into my house. I was very paranoid. I didn’t like going out. I had no idea how to be comfortable with the press. I was very young. It was really hard for me.”

Lipton parlayed her role on “The Mod Squad” into a singing career, enjoying chart success with her cover versions of “Stoney End” and “Lu” by Laura Nyro and “Wear Your Love Like Heaven” by Donovan.

In 1974, Lipton married Jones and, with the exception of a 1979 “Mod Squad” reunion TV movie, stepped away from her career to focus on raising a family. The pair’s daughters, Kidada and Rashida, would both become actors, the latter gaining fame on the comedy series “The Office” and “Parks and Recreation.”

After Lipton and Jones divorced in 1989, Lipton decided to return to acting, landing the role of Norma Jennings on the cult TV series “Twin Peaks.”

“It was very scary,” Lipton told The Times in 1993. “I had a push-pull thing inside me that I wanted to do it…. I had become so insulated in my world as a mother, that I didn’t know how to pick up the phone and call anybody to put myself out there.”

She and Clarence Williams III made cameo appearances in a 1999 big-screen version of "The Mod Squad" that starred Claire Danes, Omar Epps and Giovanni Ribisi. In her 2005 memoir, “Breathing Out,” Lipton wrote of her struggles with fame and the racism she and Jones faced as an interracial couple and revealed that she had been diagnosed with and treated for colon cancer the previous year.

In recent years, Lipton continued to appear in occasional supporting roles in films such as “When in Rome” and “A Dog’s Purpose” and TV series including “Alias,” “Crash” and 2017’s “Twin Peaks” revival.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 2:09 pm

I barely remember The Mod Squad, but I certainly recall her on Twin Peaks. If Lynch ever makes a new season of the show, her presence will be missed.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 2:28 pm

Classy lady, she was still beautiful in the last Twin Peaks season!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 5:53 pm

I never watched "Twin Peaks", but I remember watching "Mod Squad", every week, with rapt attention----there had just never been anything like it, before, on T.V.----and I thought she was very cool!!

I remember hearing about her courtship/marriage with Quincy Jones----that was BIG in those days (a black person and a white person, together).

R.I.P. super-cool lady!!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 6:28 pm

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 8:58 pm

I remember her from Twin Peaks. Next time I'm in North Bend I'll eat some cherry pie at the RR

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 2:53 am

Twin peaks was an iconic series that launched a number of great actors (not mention the music)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIrodEp0_CU

I'm 20 years behind but who killed Laura Palmer?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 3:53 am

cyberdad wrote:
Twin peaks was an iconic series that launched a number of great actors (not mention the music)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIrodEp0_CU

I'm 20 years behind but who killed Laura Palmer?

The Log Lady (or perhaps technically the log) under the orders of Major Briggs. Remember: The owls are not what they seem.

Fun fact: I live near Laura Palmer's house and walk past it fairly often.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 4:12 am

EzraS wrote:

Really? the actress Sheryl Lee or the character (sorry my US geography is pretty poor but wasn't twin peaks filmed in Canada?)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 4:24 am

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Really? the actress Sheryl Lee or the character (sorry my US geography is pretty poor but wasn't twin peaks filmed in Canada?)

Nah I was joking. In truth Bob killed her, but with a twist.

Twin Peaks was mostly filmed in California. But the key locations exist mainly in Snoqualmie Washington (the hotel plus waterfall) and North Bend next to Snoqualmie (the RR diner). The "twin peaks" are actually Mt Si and Little Si. I've visted all of that area lots of times. They basically did a lot of principle filming in those areas in Western Washington and then did the rest in California. You can see that some of the outdoors shots (like when Cooper is thowing rocks at bottles) they are in California type woods rather than the Pacific Northwest type.

A lot of shows with that type of scenery are usually filmed around Vancouver Canada. I'm pretty sure the X-Files was.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 10:11 am

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Nah I was joking. In truth Bob killed her, but with a twist.

Twin Peaks was mostly filmed in California. But the key locations exist mainly in Snoqualmie Washington (the hotel plus waterfall) and North Bend next to Snoqualmie (the RR diner). The "twin peaks" are actually Mt Si and Little Si. I've visted all of that area lots of times. They basically did a lot of principle filming in those areas in Western Washington and then did the rest in California. You can see that some of the outdoors shots (like when Cooper is thowing rocks at bottles) they are in California type woods rather than the Pacific Northwest type.

A lot of shows with that type of scenery are usually filmed around Vancouver Canada. I'm pretty sure the X-Files was.

Yes, the Bob entity out in the woods, but inhabiting the body of Laura's father, Leland, for some time.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 10:27 am

One time when I was in the area there was a wanted poster for Bob on a telephone pole.

Here's some pictures I took of the diner run by Peggy Lipton's character:

And the waterfall with the "Great Western" hotel behind it:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 4:01 pm

EzraS wrote:
One time when I was in the area there was a wanted poster for Bob on a telephone pole.

Here's some pictures I took of the diner run by Peggy Lipton's character:

And the waterfall with the "Great Western" hotel behind it:

While Twin Peaks' sights are located on the west side of Washington, David Lynch always maintained the location of the fictional town is supposed to be in eastern Washington, north of Spokane.
Incidentally, as Lynch had spent part of his childhood in Spokane, the town of Lumberton in Blue Velvet was also based on Spokane.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 7:33 pm

She dated Elvis in '71 , thank goodness he told scientology to go f itself......sadly Cilla was brain washed by their junk (although Cilla didnt start with it until 80s or 90s)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 3:14 am

Very beautiful landscapes, you guys are lucky to have such lovely spots within reach!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 4:54 am

cyberdad wrote:
Very beautiful landscapes, you guys are lucky to have such lovely spots within reach!

Thank you. I'm sure your country is beautiful as well.