Catholic Priest Claims Children On The Spectrum Are Animals

Page 3 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,572

13 Jun 2019, 4:04 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
And on autistic children being animals; what then are non-autistic children? Fungi?


Vegetables, duh! :mrgreen:



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,893
Location: Aux Arcs

13 Jun 2019, 10:16 am

Fnord wrote:
Heck, I'm still trying to figure why He made the platypus...

She likes a good joke.


_________________
"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,194
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

13 Jun 2019, 8:20 pm

Even before the time of the dinosaurs, the earth had been ruled by mammalian reptiles. Have to wonder if the mighty platypus is the last of these vanished animals.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,675
Location: Stendec

13 Jun 2019, 8:22 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Even before the time of the dinosaurs, the earth had been ruled by mammalian reptiles...
Evidence, please?

Just askin'.


_________________
You don't have to be popular to be a good person, but...
You almost always have to be a good person to be popular!


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,194
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

13 Jun 2019, 8:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Even before the time of the dinosaurs, the earth had been ruled by mammalian reptiles...
Evidence, please?

Just askin'.


I saw the documentaries a few years ago about how thy were destroyed in the mass extinction prior to the rise of the dinosaurs, so it still should be easy to find info on them. These creatures included animals once wrongly counted as dinosaurs, such as that very early fin back, four legged thing. I'm afraid I can't remember the collective name their different species belonged to.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,675
Location: Stendec

14 Jun 2019, 9:13 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Even before the time of the dinosaurs, the earth had been ruled by mammalian reptiles...
Evidence, please? Just askin'.
I saw the documentaries a few years ago about how thy were destroyed in the mass extinction prior to the rise of the dinosaurs, so it still should be easy to find info on them. These creatures included animals once wrongly counted as dinosaurs, such as that very early fin back, four legged thing. I'm afraid I can't remember the collective name their different species belonged to.
Ahh ... Here is the evidence!

... "Before the dinosaurs, for a time spanning 298 to 252 million years ago, landscapes across the planet were dominated by our distant predecessors and relatives. These were the synapsids -- animals previously called "mammal-like reptiles" until paleontologists realized that this common term was all wrong." ...

Sorry for the derail! Back to the topic...


_________________
You don't have to be popular to be a good person, but...
You almost always have to be a good person to be popular!


d057
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2008
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 505
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

21 Jun 2019, 9:51 pm

No wonder so many people have left the Roman Catholic church.


_________________
Living my life one day at a time.


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,592
Location: Long Island, New York

25 Jun 2019, 3:44 am

Priest blaming autism on parents has retreat cancelled by Canadian dioceses

Quote:
A Catholic diocese in Canada has cancelled a retreat to be given there next month by Indian priest Fr Dominic Valanmanal who has been preaching that an increased incidence of autism and hyperactivity in children is due to their parents’ lifestyle.

Earlier this month Catholic Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin said an invitation to the priest to lead a retreat in Ireland should be withdrawn.

Last week the Catholic diocese of Calgary in Canada cancelled a retreat to be given there by the priest on July 23rd and 24th next.

A petition by members of the Syro-Malabar community in Ireland calling on Minister for Justice Charlie Flanagan to have Fr Valanmahal banned from entering the State has been signed by 2,737 people to date. It is aiming for 5,000.


_________________
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

"The lunatics have taken over the asylum" - The Specials


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,166

25 Jun 2019, 3:57 am

The priest in question is from India not Canada and is probably not thinking for himself....typical convert mentality



shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Mar 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,789

25 Jun 2019, 9:13 am

Everyone, children and adults, neurotypical and autistic, is an "animal"

:roll:


The statement is correct

The implication is not everyone is a. Animal

The implication is wrong



TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,705
Location: Um...

25 Jun 2019, 9:17 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Everyone, children and adults, neurotypical and autistic, is an "animal"

:roll:


The statement is correct

The implication is not everyone is a. Animal

The implication is wrong


It's not so much the literal sense of the word as it is the fact that this guy is basically saying that autistic kids are worthless and deserve to be hated and mistreated by the church.


_________________
The Hearts teach us to feel pleasure and pain.
The Diamonds teach us to enjoy that we gain.
The Clubs teach us to work the goals we aim.
The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.


TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,705
Location: Um...

25 Jun 2019, 9:24 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Even though I myself am Catholic, this priest just needs a reality check. Prejudice is just contradicting the teachings of God and IMO, God would be face-palming and calling this priest a sinner! :evil:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2019/06/catholic-priest-autistic-children-are-animals-caused-by-porn-masturbation-adultery/#disqus_thread



I don't want to offend your beliefs but I disagree with that whole statement. Prejudice attitudes have been a staple of Christianity since the days when they used to burn heretics at the stake. The Bible has been used to justify everything from genocide to slavery to homophobia to sexism.

It's pretty much the reason why so many people including myself have turned away from Christianity nowadays. There are many bigots to be found in this religion just like that Aspie-hating priest.


_________________
The Hearts teach us to feel pleasure and pain.
The Diamonds teach us to enjoy that we gain.
The Clubs teach us to work the goals we aim.
The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,675
Location: Stendec

25 Jun 2019, 9:29 am

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Even though I myself am Catholic, this priest just needs a reality check. Prejudice is just contradicting the teachings of God and IMO, God would be face-palming and calling this priest a sinner! ...
I don't want to offend your beliefs but I disagree with that whole statement...
Why? Even if you consider the story of the Children of Israel slaughtering the Canaanites with extreme prejudice on God's order, there are still the teachings of Jesus to consider.


_________________
You don't have to be popular to be a good person, but...
You almost always have to be a good person to be popular!


Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jan 2019
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,644
Location: Warner Robins, Ga

25 Jun 2019, 9:48 am

I think the real problem is babies re-defining what it means to be a bigot. I used to mean that you hated someone for something they have no control over, now it has extended to you just not agreeing with someone's choice. Under that wide umbrella we are all bigots.

As for the topic, I understand the issue. While we are all animals, he said it in a way as to suggest that autistic people are less civilized than non-autistics which is far from the truth.



Last edited by Crimadella on 25 Jun 2019, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,705
Location: Um...

25 Jun 2019, 9:53 am

Crimadella wrote:
I think the real problem is babies re-defining what it means to be a bigot. I used to mean that you hated someone for something they have no control over, now it has extended to you just not agreeing with someone's choice. Under that wide umbrella we are all bigots.

Crimadella, in case you have not already figured it out I no longer respond to your attempts to start s**t with me. Go troll somebody else.


_________________
The Hearts teach us to feel pleasure and pain.
The Diamonds teach us to enjoy that we gain.
The Clubs teach us to work the goals we aim.
The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.