TV weatherman fired for pubically complaing about hype

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 6:28 pm

TV Weatherman Fired After Calling Out His Employer Over 'Code Red' Forecast Alerts

Quote:
An Illinois broadcast meteorologist who was taken off television after criticizing an unpopular “Code Red” weather alert system has been fired, his former employer confirmed. Joe Crain’s dismissal was confirmed Thursday by Rob Ford, a spokesman for Sinclair Broadcast Group, which owns Crain’s former employer, WICS-TV in Springfield, Illinois. Ford declined further comment.

Crain, a 15-year WICS veteran, was absent from newscasts after an on-air critique June 5 of Sinclair’s “Code Red” weather-alert brand, which the station subsequently announced would be replaced.

Crain acknowledged widespread community complaints that “Code Red” was alarmist and imprecise. He said it was improperly “all-inclusive” and failed to recognize storms’ varying degrees. “When you hear ‘Code Red,’ you think, as they say, the feces is about to hit the fan. We understand your concerns,” Crain said. “It’s not us. This is a corporate initiative, the ‘Code Red’ alert, and behind the scenes, many of us have tried to dissuade it for the last few months.”

Crain’s absence unleashed social-media protests, petitions demanding his return, and advertiser boycotts. Businesses pulled their ads in support of Crain and to protest “Code Red” as a needless alarm that persuaded people to stay home and away from restaurants and retail stores.

U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, a Democrat who lives in Springfield, voiced support for Crain. A weekly newspaper reporter composed a song, “Joe Crain,” to the tune of the early 20th Century labor anthem, “Joe Hill,” and the brouhaha was the subject of a parody bit on “The Late Show” with Stephen Colbert.

Crain has declined comment. WICS general manager Rick Lipps posted an online video Monday in which he announced that the station would replace “Code Red” with a “Weather Warn” banner and that managers would work to improve geographic specificity of alerts.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 8:13 pm

Sounds like another one of those kooky climate deniers :evil:

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 9:42 pm

Without looking, I am guessing "Sinclair Broadcast Group" is considered a right-wing news source.

Confirmed.

Sinclair, the pro-Trump, conservative company taking over local news, explained
https://www.vox.com/2018/4/3/17180020/s ... -affiliate

Colbert and Durban wouldn't be involved otherwise.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 2:39 am

EzraS wrote:

Don't confound climatology and weather forecasting media.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 4:36 am

Tollorin wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Don't confound climatology and weather forecasting media.

You're not the boss of me. :P