Alt right and Antifa fight in Portland again

Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 1:39 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Also, if Antifa is fighting what they consider to be fascist, how come they're nowhere to be seen in the red states?
Because they would probably be shot.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 1:44 pm

If our racist president would stop giving coded white-power hand signals to his fascist followers, egging them on, this kind of thing would stop.

There Are Four Lights!

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 2:27 pm

This OK-sign thing somehow keeps being funny. Thank you, 4chan. :lol:

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 2:36 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:

4chan has proven over and over again how incredibly gullible the Left is, and how easy it is to lead them around by the nose.

There Are Four Lights!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 3:28 pm

cyberdad wrote:
The basic principle that unites the various groups under the Antifa umbrella is that inaction against the brownshirts in Italy, Japan and Germany in the 1920s and 1930s gave rise to fascism which resulted in the deaths of more than 100 million people across Europe and Asia. The appeasement of Nazis and lack of action by the German people allowed the rise of Hilter and the holocaust of millions of innocent people in the name of racial purity.

Mark Bray, author of Antifa: The Anti-Fascist Handbook, says the modern American Antifa movement began in the 1980s with a group called Anti-Racist Action. Its members confronted neo-Nazi skinheads at punk gigs in the American Midwest and elsewhere who were on the rise back then. By the early 2000s the Antifa movement was mostly dormant - until the rise of Donald Trump and the alt-right bought them back.

The Alt-right in the US and Europe are primarily united on maintaining the purity of what they call the "white race" and given Trump seems to be largely ineffective and even conciliatory toward these groups (he and his son famously re-tweeted posts from ultra-far right politicians) antifa feel they must defend humanity from the rise of this vile movement.

Although I do not support violence, sometimes you have to defend yourself.

Well the problem is these Antifa groups aren't just 'defending themselves' they actively provoke violence and conflict it seems like. I mean as far as I know they have gotten concerts cancelled by threatening venues with trouble....I mean even music isn't safe from those guys.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 3:28 pm

Darmok wrote:
If our racist president would stop giving coded white-power hand signals to his fascist followers, egging them on, this kind of thing would stop.

Oi man, its 2019 Trump is the president...in case you missed the memo.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 3:32 pm

Darmok wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

4chan has proven over and over again how incredibly gullible the Left is, and how easy it is to lead them around by the nose.

4chan is a raging pile of sh*t and only really attracts sh*t.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 3:44 pm

4chan is a nameless, faceless, amoral amalgamation of clever people with bored minds and far too much time at their disposal. It is pure distilled Internet. It's produced some absolute shitshows, some actually rather good things, and some absolute hilarity. This is the latter. To spell it out: the idea that the OK hand sign is a White Power thing? It was a 4chan op. They intentionally put that idea out there to see who would be gullible enough to take it at face value and report it as true.

This is almost as funny as Oprah and the over 9000 penises.

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 8:16 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

4chan is a raging pile of sh*t and only really attracts sh*t.
So basically it's a don't go there type of site.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 8:40 pm

Darmok wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Isn't gullibility a prerequisite?

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 8:54 pm

I recall the Boston Free Speech Rally at the Boston Common in August, 2017, which drew only a handful of attendees, but between 30,000 and 40,000 people participated in the protest, including Antifa. The New York Times reported that rally “participants appeared to number only in the dozens.”

Boston Globe columnist Jeff Jacoby summed up the day’s events in a tweet:
The rally in a nutshell: “Excuse me,” one man innocently asked a Globe reporter, “where are the white supremacists?”

So, struggling to find neo-Nazis to condemn, antifa activists decided to attack the police instead. The TV showed a masked protester assaulting a woman holding an American flag. Masked protesters also pelted police with rocks and bottles filled with urine. The AP reported that 33 protesters were taken into custody. Antifa's definition of neo-nazi and fascist seems to be a bit too adaptable and fluid.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 9:24 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:

It would be even funnier if it was the thumbs up sign.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 4:53 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The basic principle that unites the various groups under the Antifa umbrella is that inaction against the brownshirts in Italy, Japan and Germany in the 1920s and 1930s gave rise to fascism which resulted in the deaths of more than 100 million people across Europe and Asia. The appeasement of Nazis and lack of action by the German people allowed the rise of Hilter and the holocaust of millions of innocent people in the name of racial purity.

Mark Bray, author of Antifa: The Anti-Fascist Handbook, says the modern American Antifa movement began in the 1980s with a group called Anti-Racist Action. Its members confronted neo-Nazi skinheads at punk gigs in the American Midwest and elsewhere who were on the rise back then. By the early 2000s the Antifa movement was mostly dormant - until the rise of Donald Trump and the alt-right bought them back.

The Alt-right in the US and Europe are primarily united on maintaining the purity of what they call the "white race" and given Trump seems to be largely ineffective and even conciliatory toward these groups (he and his son famously re-tweeted posts from ultra-far right politicians) antifa feel they must defend humanity from the rise of this vile movement.

Although I do not support violence, sometimes you have to defend yourself.

Well the problem is these Antifa groups aren't just 'defending themselves' they actively provoke violence and conflict it seems like. I mean as far as I know they have gotten concerts cancelled by threatening venues with trouble....I mean even music isn't safe from those guys.

I am not sure if Antifa are a united front yet...there may be groups infiltrating them and using violence under their banner

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 4:59 am

Shrapnel wrote:
So, struggling to find neo-Nazis to condemn, antifa activists decided to attack the police instead.Antifa's definition of neo-nazi and fascist seems to be a bit too adaptable and fluid.

No confusion here in Portland Oregon...Nazi see Nazi do...

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 8:32 am

Darmok wrote:
Antifa is the modern-day Ku Klux Klan -- it's the current paramilitary wing of the Democratic Party, just like the Klan was in ages past.

That is absolutely not correct. The antifa groups are way outside the political mainstream. See “They have no allegiance to liberal democracy”: an expert on antifa explains the group by Sean Illing, Vox, Aug 13, 2018.

See also The assault on conservative journalist Andy Ngo, explained: "An unjustifiable attack — and a subsequent controversy spotlighting the militant left-wing group antifa," by Zack Beauchamp, Vox, Jul 3, 2019.

Also it's disingenuous to equate today's Democratic Party with the Democratic Party as it existed in the mid-to-late 1800's or the early-to-mid 1900's. The two major political parties in the U.S.A. have evolved quite a bit in both their ideologies and their constituencies. Indeed in some ways the Democrats and Republicans have outright swapped roles.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 4:20 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Antifa is the modern-day Ku Klux Klan -- it's the current paramilitary wing of the Democratic Party, just like the Klan was in ages past.

That is absolutely not correct. The antifa groups are way outside the political mainstream. .

You are debating with somebody who will reply with a picture