Nike pulls sneakers with ‘Betsy Ross’ American flag

Page 11 of 15 [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 9:18 pm

The American flag is just one more thing being added to an ever growing list of things that are suddenly being dictated as offensive.

I am sure those who are not Americans do not understand why many Americans are so bothered by this. Especially those who seem to express loathing America. They do not care about our flag and figure we should not care either.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 9:25 pm

No I understand.

The Australian flag was appropriated by our own local far right and so flying the national flag can sometimes be misconstrued as offensive.
https://www.news.com.au/national/we-nee ... 51ae85d9d5

Aboriginal Australians have their own flag as they don't recognise the Australian flag

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 9:27 pm

cyberdad wrote:
A lot of narrow minded hysteria here

Colin Kaepernick's original content was the Betsy Ross flag has been co-opted by right wing groups and would be an inappropriate logo for sneakers. This contention was accepted by Nike who stopped making it.

So the only question is whether the flag was appropriated by the racists before Kaepernick's request?

The Betsy Ross flag previously came under controversy in 2016 when students at Forest Hills Central High School in Michigan held the flag in the opponents’ stands during a football game against Ottawa Hills High School. Ottawa Hills parents said at the time that the flag made them feel uncomfortable because Ottawa Hills has a high number of black students and parents. Forest Hills Superintendent Dan Behm said at the time that the flag was being waved as part of school’s “red, white and blue” theme night and that the students didn’t mean any harm. He later apologized.
In addition the New York Times found a couple of instances where the Ku Klux Klan utilized the flag in 2017.

This establishes a precedence where the logo/flag was knowingly used in a manner that made African Americans uncomfortable. Kaepernick was aware of this which explains his complaint to Nike.

Any normal person would consider this decision by Nike to be perfectly justified.

I'm sure the KKK wipes their aZZ with toilet paper too. Should we all start using leaves to protest? If not, we need to narrow it down to which brand. Are they high falootin' nazis (charmin) or rough neck nazis ( walmart brand ). We've only got one chance to get this right!

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 9:43 pm

Let's just do away with flags and symbols altogether. That way no one can be offended. That doesn't bother me too much, since I don't give two s**ts about flags and symbols. We also need a definitive list of words and gestures that might offend some people. Perhaps encouraging speaking as little as possible could go a long way to avoiding pissing anyone off. Let's homogenize communication to a bland standard that is guaranteed not to rumple anyone's feathers.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 9:45 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Let's just do away with flags and symbols altogether. That way no one can be offended. That doesn't bother me too much, since I don't give two s**ts about flags and symbols. We also need a definitive list of words and gestures that might offend some people. Perhaps encouraging speaking as little as possible could go a long way to avoiding pissing anyone off. Let's homogenize communication to a bland standard that is guaranteed not to rumple anyone's feathers.

I agree with this. Although a future global government (assuming we don't go extinct before then) may want to have some type of logo/crest.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 9:46 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
I'm sure the KKK wipes their aZZ with toilet paper too. Should we all start using leaves to protest? !

The KKK don't fly toilet paper on flag poles although the analogy of human excrement does seem appropriate for them.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 10:04 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

Society needs a very specific script to follow and not deviate from. Every aspect of life needs to be regulated.

This seems to be what a lot of people actually want and are trying their hardest to make happen.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 10:14 pm

Something just occurred to me. Isn't our national anthem, The Star Spangled Banner, about that flag?

Edit: Appearntly not.

Last edited by EzraS on 07 Jul 2019, 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 10:18 pm

EzraS wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Society needs a very specific script to follow and not deviate from. Every aspect of life needs to be regulated.

This seems to be what a lot of people actually want and are trying their hardest to make happen.

Yeah, absolutely. If you push back against it, you are going to get creamed. That doesn't bother me. At this point in my life, I don't care what anybody thinks of me.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 10:27 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
EzraS wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Yeah, absolutely. If you push back against it, you are going to get creamed. That doesn't bother me. At this point in my life, I don't care what anybody thinks of me.

I'm talking more about a system of governmental control over every little aspect. Those who want what I mentioned above are going to want a system of government that enforces it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 12:01 am

When you allow a right wing take over government of course they curtail individual freedoms and brainwash their supporters
https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/20 ... story.html

Even moderate republicans still employ this 1950s style of thinking
https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-co ... w-mccarthy

And of course when right wingers take complete over a country in 2019 they;
re-write history making it a thought crime (George Orwell anyone!)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mon ... 1efaf37434

arrest people for feeding a starving refugee (Trump has praised strong border control as well) https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... oros-orban

and of course beat the crap out of anyone involved in unions trying to uplift the poor
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/12/ ... 20796.html

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 12:33 am

cyberdad wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
All this stupid squabbling over an old flag distracts from the real issues of racism.Like not getting hired for a job because of your color or getting shot in the back by a gun ho cop.

I agree so why is it necessary to make African Americans also feel uncomfortable by flying reminders of slavery in their faces?

People usually don’t have their faces at shoe level.I have never heard any one of any color complain about that flag.I doubt anyone cared till now.
Some of those shoes sold before they were pulled, so how many people of color bought a pair before they were informed that old Betsy sewed a hate rag?I suppose we ought to burn and ban all Mark Twain next?He used the N in his literature.
Ridiculous that people are even worried about a stupid overpriced sweatshop sneaker.They should be more concerned with sheltering the homeless,helping the underprivileged get a good education or other things that really matter.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 12:44 am

Misslizard wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
All this stupid squabbling over an old flag distracts from the real issues of racism.Like not getting hired for a job because of your color or getting shot in the back by a gun ho cop.

I agree so why is it necessary to make African Americans also feel uncomfortable by flying reminders of slavery in their faces?

People usually don’t have their faces at shoe level.I have never heard any one of any color complain about that flag.I doubt anyone cared till now.
Some of those shoes sold before they were pulled, so how many people of color bought a pair before they were informed that old Betsy sewed a hate rag?I suppose we ought to burn and ban all Mark Twain next?He used the N in his literature.
Ridiculous that people are even worried about a stupid overpriced sweatshop sneaker.They should be more concerned with sheltering the homeless,helping the underprivileged get a good education or other things that really matter.

Mark Twain has already been banned many places.

Last edited by EzraS on 08 Jul 2019, 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 12:46 am

LOL, Walmart is capturing the high ground with an appeal to the large market of racist LGBT rainbow people! :lol:

There Are Four Lights!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 3:07 am

cyberdad wrote:
No I understand.

The Australian flag was appropriated by our own local far right and so flying the national flag can sometimes be misconstrued as offensive.
https://www.news.com.au/national/we-nee ... 51ae85d9d5

Aboriginal Australians have their own flag as they don't recognise the Australian flag

The article does not say anything about Aboriginals not recognizing the Australian Flag. You may correct me from what I have been able to gather that there is a separate Aboriginal flag that is officially recognized by the Australian government not that that the Australian flag is not recognized by Aboriginals. In general, it seems like unlike America where everything is weaponized there is a live and let live attitude in Australia about these symbols which is as it should be.

cyberdad wrote:
A lot of narrow minded hysteria here

Colin Kaepernick's original content was the Betsy Ross flag has been co-opted by right wing groups and would be an inappropriate logo for sneakers. This contention was accepted by Nike who stopped making it.

So the only question is whether the flag was appropriated by the racists before Kaepernick's request?

The Betsy Ross flag previously came under controversy in 2016 when students at Forest Hills Central High School in Michigan held the flag in the opponents’ stands during a football game against Ottawa Hills High School. Ottawa Hills parents said at the time that the flag made them feel uncomfortable because Ottawa Hills has a high number of black students and parents. Forest Hills Superintendent Dan Behm said at the time that the flag was being waved as part of school’s “red, white and blue” theme night and that the students didn’t mean any harm. He later apologized.
In addition the New York Times found a couple of instances where the Ku Klux Klan utilized the flag in 2017.

This establishes a precedence where the logo/flag was knowingly used in a manner that made African Americans uncomfortable. Kaepernick was aware of this which explains his complaint to Nike.

Any normal person would consider this decision by Nike to be perfectly justified.

The "Betsy Ross Flag" or something like it has been around 240 years or so. It has been notably appropriated specifically for nefarious racist purposes twice. It was the main Confederate flag for the first year or two of the Civil War before being dropped because it looked too much like the United States flag. In the last few years, it was used by some in the anti-government Patriot/militia movement because it symbolized to them rebellion against a tyrannical government and it has been used by a few racists because it harkens back to a time when whites kept blacks in bondage. So charitably it has been used for racism 10 out of 240 years. This is like defining a basically a nice day by a brief shower that occurred. It is like all of America is an Autistic negative thought loop.

EzraS wrote:
Something just occurred to me. Isn't our national anthem, The Star Spangled Banner, about that flag?

Edit: Appearntly not.

It's about warmongering ban it. :oops:

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 08 Jul 2019, 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 3:10 am

Huckleberry Finn is a literary classic. The fact that Twain uses the n-word liberally attests to the nature of white-"Negro" relations at the time in the 1880s which Twain accurately portrays.

It nicely gives a direct glimpse of the white man's mind in the late 19th century and all kids should read it to understand how backward their great-great grandparents were. Pretty sure many die hard republicans echo this sentiment in 2019 behind closed doors.

No need to ban this book. Let the light shine in the darkest of places...John 1:5