Nike pulls sneakers with ‘Betsy Ross’ American flag

Page 14 of 15 [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 2:30 pm

EzraS wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
As an aside, I did some investigation a while back on the genetics it would take to produce the specific characteristics of Australian aboriginal people. Is it true that they have some Indian (from India) DNA, Cyberdad? They are the most beautiful color. Also, certain Africans have a couple really dark variants of skin color that are quite striking. I never really understood the problem. I absolutely admire differences. The people with the cocoa and blue undertones are the most beautiful. There are a few of today's female models showing off these attributes.

This is REALLY "aside".

What does this have to do with Betsy Ross, and Nike shoes?

Isn't the topic is really about race and racism?

I thought that since cyberdad was from Australia he might know. I have ADHD, in addition to Asperger's so I will think of something and ask the question while I'm thinking of it. I hope the sphincter police don't live here.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 5:38 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
As an aside, I did some investigation a while back on the genetics it would take to produce the specific characteristics of Australian aboriginal people. Is it true that they have some Indian (from India) DNA, Cyberdad? They are the most beautiful color. Also, certain Africans have a couple really dark variants of skin color that are quite striking. I never really understood the problem. I absolutely admire differences. The people with the cocoa and blue undertones are the most beautiful. There are a few of today's female models showing off these attributes.

This is REALLY "aside".

Isn't the topic is really about race and racism?

I thought that since cyberdad was from Australia he might know. I have ADHD, in addition to Asperger's so I will think of something and ask the question while I'm thinking of it. I hope the sphincter police don't live here.

I stayed away from this thread for a while before returning to it then when I made the post. So I didnt see that you all did mention Austalia's racial issues above in the thread. So I see now that its not totally out of the blue.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 5:48 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens if white nationalists reappropriate the Nike logo. Holy s**t! The executives at Nike will be sh*****g in their pants when the left comes at them!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 6:24 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

This is REALLY "aside".

You can make the connection. Nike pulled the shoes because Colin Kaepernick (a sportsman) used his high profile to persuade Nike to stop making a shoe. Adam Goodes (another high profile sportsman in Australia) used his high profile to have a 12-13yr old girl evicted from a sports stadium in front of thousands of spectators and on live television.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 6:25 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
It will be interesting to see what happens if white nationalists reappropriate the Nike logo. Holy s**t! The executives at Nike will be sh*****g in their pants when the left comes at them!

Too late...it's already associated with Michael Jordan all around the world

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 6:33 pm

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

This is REALLY "aside".

You can make the connection. Nike pulled the shoes because Colin Kaepernick (a sportsman) used his high profile to persuade Nike to stop making a shoe. Adam Goodes (another high profile sportsman in Australia) used his high profile to have a 12-13yr old girl evicted from a sports stadium in front of thousands of spectators and on live television.

What did he have against that poor girl??????

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 6:34 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
As an aside, I did some investigation a while back on the genetics it would take to produce the specific characteristics of Australian aboriginal people. Is it true that they have some Indian (from India) DNA, Cyberdad? They are the most beautiful color.

I think National Geographic sponsored the human genome project some years ago and Oxford geneticist Spencer Welles found anecdotal evidence that some humans passed through India on their way to south east Asia and eventually Australia and melanesia.

However population genetics indicates that almost all Indians are genetically closer to populations in central Asia and Iran than to east asians or aboriginals. Dark skin (melanin) is an evolutionary adaptation common to populations migrating along the equator evolved to prevent UV damage to our fragile DNA.

Australian aborigines are unique in that children have blonde coloured hair that darkens as they get older. Intermarriage has mean't the majority of aboriginals look indistinguishable from Europeans although "full bloods" live in regional areas still.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 6:35 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

This is REALLY "aside".

She called him an "ape"

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 6:49 pm

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

This is REALLY "aside".

She called him an "ape"

That's a good reason for him to do that to her.

But that's just it. That actually makes sense to me (telling the offender to leave the stadium). The Nike shoe in question is not offensive at all in any way like that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 6:53 pm

I think the "cat's out of the bag" though. Nobody is going to use the Betsy Ross logo now without incurring the wrath of political correctness.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 6:56 pm

cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Too late...it's already associated with Michael Jordan all around the world

Well, that won't be a problem. We already know Jordan is a Nazi. After all, he sported a Hitler mustache some years ago.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 7:36 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
As an aside, I did some investigation a while back on the genetics it would take to produce the specific characteristics of Australian aboriginal people. Is it true that they have some Indian (from India) DNA, Cyberdad? They are the most beautiful color.

I think National Geographic sponsored the human genome project some years ago and Oxford geneticist Spencer Welles found anecdotal evidence that some humans passed through India on their way to south east Asia and eventually Australia and melanesia.

However population genetics indicates that almost all Indians are genetically closer to populations in central Asia and Iran than to east asians or aboriginals. Dark skin (melanin) is an evolutionary adaptation common to populations migrating along the equator evolved to prevent UV damage to our fragile DNA.

Australian aborigines are unique in that children have blonde coloured hair that darkens as they get older. Intermarriage has mean't the majority of aboriginals look indistinguishable from Europeans although "full bloods" live in regional areas still.

Very interesting. When I look at them, they do not seem to have the skin tone of Africans, although they can sometimes be as dark, or darker. Africans mostly have a warm brown undertone, with the occasional blue undertone. Australian aboriginals look to have a cooler brown undertone. Maybe the terrain colors of the outback, combined with what sun does with it requires that their skin have a different undertone to manage the damage it could do to their skin. I wonder about stuff like this all the time. Their hair is of a different texture and shiny. African hair is very soft, but not as shiny. If I had it all to do over, I would have become a geneticist. I love this sort of thing.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 7:56 pm

Yes. the first wave of anatomical modern humans to migrate out of Africa hugged the shores of the Indian ocean. Moved along the bottom of Asia- through India, and southeast Asia, New Guinea, and some finally reached Australia, and became the Australian Aboriginies . And they all retained the dark dark skin of Equitorial Africans.

The high latitudes of Eurasia were still owned by rival hominids like the Neanderthals, Densiovians, and even remnant Homo Erectus.

Later some groups of anatomical moderns ventured north into central asia, and the turned both east and west- invaded Europe and the far east and drove the Denisovians and the Neanderthals to extinction and replaced them in the high latitudes as well (though not without doing some interbreeding with the rival hominids). These descendants got lighter in skin color. And then the descendants of the anatomical moderns who ventured north, then ventured south again and over ran areas on the shore of the Indian Ocean in more recent millenia and centuries.

The Dravidian speakers of southern India, and small pockets of tribes in Indonesia who resemble Australian aboriginoies and most of the population of New Guinea are remnants of the original dark skinned anatomical moderns who ventured out of Africa. Today most modern south east Asians and most northern Indians (Indo European speakers) are descended from the later invaders who came back down from the high latitudes of Eurasia.

Yes, I have noticed that Australian aboriginies do seem to have a more blue-black look to their skin than do dark skinned Africans. Don't know why that is.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 7:58 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
Very interesting. When I look at them, they do not seem to have the skin tone of Africans, although they can sometimes be as dark, or darker. Africans mostly have a warm brown undertone, with the occasional blue undertone. Australian aboriginals look to have a cooler brown undertone. Maybe the terrain colors of the outback, combined with what sun does with it requires that their skin have a different undertone to manage the damage it could do to their skin. I wonder about stuff like this all the time. Their hair is of a different texture and shiny. African hair is very soft, but not as shiny. If I had it all to do over, I would have become a geneticist. I love this sort of thing.

It's interesting that further north you go away from the equator the less melanin populations have in their skin. The lack of sunlight exposure and cold mean't that you need to adapt less melanin to allow synthesis of vitamin D (which requires sunlight).

South America is interesting in that the equatorial Mayans appear to be darker than the southern Inca and north American Indians who live in cooler climes.

There is evidence to suggest that the populations who make up equatorial populations were originally the same genetically as dark skinned Australian aborigines
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/nationa ... n-history/

This means the Mayans of meso-America were probably much darker 2000 years ago than the current populations. You get this weird divergence in India as well where the darker skinned southern Indians were technologically more advanced than lighter skinned north Indians (although genetically both populations are closer to each other than to outside groups).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 8:14 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The high latitudes of Eurasia were still owned by rival hominids like the Neanderthals, Densiovians, and even remnant Homo Erectus.
Later some groups of anatomical moderns ventured north into central asia, and the turned both east and west- invaded Europe and the far east and drove the Denisovians and the Neanderthals to extinction and replaced them in the high latitudes as well (though not without doing some interbreeding with the rival hominids). These descendants got lighter in skin color. And then the descendants of the anatomical moderns who ventured north, then ventured south again and over ran areas on the shore of the Indian Ocean in more recent millenia and centuries.

Yes you are right, the genetic contribution of Neanderthals to "caucasians" and Denisovans to east Asians likely contributed to lighter melanin and different physical/physiological characteristics to help adapt to colder climates.

naturalplastic wrote:
. Dravidian speakers of southern India, and small pockets of tribes in Indonesia who resemble Australian aboriginoies and most of the population of New Guinea are remnants of the original dark skinned anatomical moderns who ventured out of Africa. Today most modern south east Asians and most northern Indians (Indo European speakers) are descended from the later invaders who came back down from the high latitudes of Eurasia.

This is mostly correct but there's confusion over whether speakers of Dravidian languages actually constitute a different ethnic group or race. For example the majority of Dravidians are genetically (and often physically) indistinguishable from the populations in north India largely due to blending over thousands of years (really not surprising as geography dictates how genes flow). Dravidian is not an australoid language, it's thought to be related to the now extinct languages of Sumer and Elam and might be distantly connected to other "agglutinated" languages as far apart as Turkish, Hungarian and even Korean.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 8:27 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Yes. the first wave of anatomical modern humans to migrate out of Africa hugged the shores of the Indian ocean. Moved along the bottom of Asia- through India, and southeast Asia, New Guinea, and some finally reached Australia, and became the Australian Aboriginies . And they all retained the dark dark skin of Equitorial Africans.

The Dravidian speakers of southern India, and small pockets of tribes in Indonesia who resemble Australian aboriginoies and most of the population of New Guinea are remnants of the original dark skinned anatomical moderns who ventured out of Africa. Today most modern south east Asians and most northern Indians (Indo European speakers) are descended from the later invaders who came back down from the high latitudes of Eurasia.

Yes, I have noticed that Australian aboriginies do seem to have a more blue-black look to their skin than do dark skinned Africans. Don't know why that is.

Thank you! That was wonderful. :heart: