Nike pulls sneakers with ‘Betsy Ross’ American flag

Page 9 of 15 [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 9:34 pm

There Are Four Lights!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 9:57 pm

Darmok wrote:

A lot of black soldiers died fighting for the US and when they got home were treated worse than German POWS

I'll take a knee for their memory

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 7:56 am

cyberdad wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
It seems that in the world of Politically Correctness, the valor of these soldiers are being painted with the same brush as those of slavery.

The Southerners were basically laying down their lives so their children could continue torture, rape and exploit slaves...real heroes...

Cited out of context. The paragraph was about the soldiers of the North, not the South. So what were the soldiers of the North fighting for - freedom from slavery and that all men are created equal ! !! !

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 8:51 am

It is interesting that the left who say so much about the Confederate Army, the South and slavery, never seem to have much to say about the Union Army of the North committing genocide. Is it because there are many more African American voters than Native American voters?

And we all know there are so many more African Americas than Native Americans; it is because the Union Army of the North slaughtered most of the Native Americans.

Question: in mainly focusing on the crimes of the Confederate Army and the South, as abominable their slavery was, was it worse than committing genocide?

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 9:16 am

There is another take on this. After the last Kaepernick incident, Nike stock understandably plummeted, but rebounded even higher after the dead cat bounce. It proved to be a good business decision. Here, Nike could have chosen to consult Kaepernick before the shoe even went into production, but instead they manufactured and released it, creating yet another high profile controversy.

Nike is profiting by capitalizing on and promoting racial division in the country. This is corporate cynicism at its worst.

Oh, and Colin Kaepernick is no Muhammad Ali. Not even close. Once again, an idol has been poorly chosen.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 9:20 am

jimmy m wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
It should be remembered that 2,128,948 Americans fought in the Civil War against the Confederacy. Of these 596,670 were either killed, wounded or MIA at the end of the war. The actions of these men overturned slavery in the United States.

At the beginning of the war the Northern states had a combined population of 22 million people. So the casualty figures of a half a million people represents almost 3 percent of the population of the North states.

It seems that in the world of Politically Correctness, the valor of these soldiers are being painted with the same brush as those of slavery.

Source: Civil War Facts
Civil War Casualties

Ummm…

Not quite.

That 600 thousand figure for deaths is for BOTH SIDES combined.

The north had 364 thousand men killed ( in battle, or between battle of infectious diseases), and the South had a quarter of million men die.

I cited my sources. If you disagree you might site your sources.
The North had 596,670 soldiers that were killed, wounded, captured or missing.
The South had 490,309 soldiers that were killed, wounded, captured or missing.

The total number of Civil War Deaths is 620,000 but the war had a profound effect on many other soldiers who were wounded, captured or MIA.

My "sources" are the commonly accepted figures I have read the World Almanac and in a zillion civil war books over the last fifty years. So I know the commonly known stuff off of the top of my head. I don't need to look it up.

My facts actually agree with what you said. Your 600 thousand for the north is for "killed, wounded, missing, captured, combined". I didn't realize thatyou were lumping all of those categories together. I assumed you were just talking about just deaths.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 9:21 am

EzraS wrote:
It is interesting that the left who say so much about the Confederate Army, the South and slavery, never seem to have much to say about the Union Army of the North committing genocide. Is it because there are many more African American voters than Native American voters?

And we all know there are so many more African Americas than Native Americans; it is because the Union Army of the North slaughtered most of the Native Americans.

Question: in mainly focusing on the crimes of the Confederate Army and the South, as abominable their slavery was, was it worse than committing genocide?

Utter gibberish.

"The left", and all decent folks left and right, talk about White genocide of the Indians all of the time.

Left of today speak of the Confederate army the same way that Union General Phil Sheridan spoke of it at the time: "I admire how they fight bravely for their cause, even though I think that its the worse cause anyone has ever fought for".

The confederate Army's whole reason for existing was to defend the institution of slavery. That is why some today say they should we now take down Confederate statues. Its the reason they were fighting. Not anything about how they fought that's being condemned.

Though that you mention it:

Rebel commanders did racially descriminate against Black Union POWs- execute them- instead of taking them as normal prisoners the way they did with White Union troops. That was an issue. Thanks for remining the internet world of that! Maybe the South SHOULD be condemned for that too!! ! Thanks for suggesting that Ezra! Mitch McConnel thanks you too!

There was an incident when the Rebels murdered three hundred Union solders AFTER they surrendered at the "Battle of Fort Pillow" instead of taking them as normal pows -did so because the solders were Black. There was shock around the world about that incident at the time. But the incident is now largely forgotten. Thanks for bringing that up.

You know full well that it's factually wrong (as well as just plain silly) to state the "Union Army of the north" did such and such to the Indians.

The army of the pre civil war unified United States representing both north and south conquered Indians in a constant state of war for almost a century prior to 1861.

And then for four years the US temporarily split into two nations (north and south), and both regions took time off from their common constant beating on the Indians on the frontier, to beat the crap out of each other in the civil war ( and did so on a much vaster scale than any fighting during the Indian wars).

And then after the civil war the re united single United States went back to marching westward and resumed beating the crap out of the Indians using its army recruited from both north and south to do that. And by 1890 (Wounded Knee) it was over, and the Indians were all subjugated, and there was no more frontier. You cant subdivide the centuries of treatment of American Indians by White America into north and south.

(You can nitpick and say that There was a Sioux uprising in Minnesota that happened to have occurred during the civil war, that was put down by soldiers- from just one region- the north- because it happened to be during the civil war. But that nitpick does nothing to support your point, nor do anything to change what I am saying)

Whites from both regions conquered the Indians. In a parallel universe where the South had won the civil war southern Whites likely would have acted like their idol and role model Andrew Jackson (a slave owning southerner) who as president defied the supreme court and evicted the Cherokee and sent them on the Trail of Tears. There is no reason to think that an Independent Confederacy would have been any nicer to the American Indians than Andrew Jackson .

Last edited by naturalplastic on 05 Jul 2019, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 9:24 am

naturalplastic wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Utter gibberish.

How so and in what way?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 4:39 pm

Darmok wrote:
Funny how the original American flag wasn't an offensive symbol just a little while ago when Obama used it as a backdrop. I wonder what changed?

What changed is that the alt-right now has a deliberate strategy of appropriating previously-neutral, widely-used traditional symbols and activities as their own, for the specific purpose of baiting ethnic minorities and the left into regarding those symbols as "racist" and thereby stirring up resentment and polarization on all sides. (See The Alt-Right's Newest Ploy? Trolling With False Symbols by Emma Grey Ellis, Wired, 05.10.17.) At one point they even tried to adopt milk-drinking as a white-supremacist symbol, on the grounds that white people are less likely to be lactose-intolerant. Luckily not too many people fell for that one. The "OK" sign was another symbol they appropriated for this purpose. Ethnic minorities and the left need to stop falling for this sort of thing.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 05 Jul 2019, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 4:44 pm

A protest at the Nike headquarters in Oregon:

There Are Four Lights!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 5:36 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
What changed is that the alt-right now has a deliberate strategy of appropriating previously-neutral, widely-used traditional symbols and activities as their own, for the specific purpose of baiting ethnic minorities and the left into regarding those symbols as "racist" and thereby stirring up resentment and polarization on all sides.

One sneaky trick is trolls popularising of the hand symbol called the "Ok" sign which has become popular in highschools. Now in basketball and football games where the players are all black but the audience of highschool students are all white the white students will all display the OK sign for the single purpose of distracting the black players.

There appears to be lingering resentment in white highschools around America that black students are better at sport...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 6:25 pm

EzraS wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Utter gibberish.

How so and in what way?

Obviously you posted this before I came back and expanded upon the comment.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 11:11 am

Minor league team affiliated with Chicago Cubs apologizes for mocking Kaepernick on Twitter

Quote:
A Chicago Cubs minor league affiliate apologized Wednesday night after a tweet apparently mocking Colin Kaepernick with a Betsy Ross flag drew backlash.

The Tennessee Smokies had tweeted several pictures ahead of their game Wednesday that showed the early American flag design etched onto the field at the Smokies Stadium in Kodak, Tennessee.

“Hey @Kaepernick7 after a lot of thought, we have decided it’s best to just do it. #America,” the tweet read, tagging Mr. Kaepernick, the Knoxville News Sentinel reported.

Apparently regretting their decision to enter the debate, the Tennessee Smokies later deleted their tweet and apologized to those who were offended.

“Regarding one of our recent tweets regarding @Kaepernick7 and our field design for tonight’s game, it was meant to be a light-hearted take on a current situation,” the team said. “We did not mean to offend anyone by it. If it did, we certainly apologize.”

Connor Pearce, the team’s marketing and community relations manager, explained that the tweet was “just a light-hearted take on a current situation,” the News Sentinel reported.

Mr. Boyd, the Smokies’ owner, said in a tweet Wednesday night that he had no prior knowledge of the stunt.

They tried to own the libs and ended up owning themselves.

They really ought to change the name of the team because I am offended. Smoking kills so many people. Well sure the team was likely named for the Smokey Mountains but this is 2019 and we are erasing all historical context. (sarcasm)

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 7:11 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
A Chicago Cubs minor league affiliate apologized Wednesday night after a tweet apparently mocking Colin Kaepernick with a Betsy Ross flag drew backlash.

This reminds me of ABA. You have to keep using reinforcement until the child ceases to display the undesirable behaviour.

It would appear white Americans are emotionally like children, they keep having to get taught the same lesson over and over again that using racist symbolism is not appropriate...I'm sure due to the stupidity of people this will not be the last time apologies will be posted on twitter over dumb pranks or actions.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 7:26 pm

Julián Castro, Beto O'Rourke back Nike, saying Betsy Ross flag is 'hurtful'

Quote:
Two Democratic hopefuls have expressed their support for Nike after the sportswear company pulled sneakers featuring the Betsy Ross-designed American flag ahead of the Fourth of July holiday.

Former HUD Secretary Julián Castro told CBS News on Wednesday that he was "glad to see" Nike remove the shoes from the shelves, comparing the "painful" symbol to the Confederate flag.

"There are a lot of things in our history that are still very painful," Castro explained. As an example, he cited "the Confederate flag that still flies in some places and is used as a symbol."

Former Texas congressman Beto O'Rourke also approved of Nike's decision, noting that "white nationalist groups" have "appropriated" the Betsy Ross flag.

"I think its really important to take into account the impression that kind of symbol would have for many of our fellow Americans," he said, according to Jewish Insider senior political reporter Ben Jacobs.

Republican politicians have had quite the opposite reaction. Texas Sen. Ted Cruz pushed for a Nike boycott and Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey announced on Tuesday that the state would withdraw its planned incentive for the company to build a plant there.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 7:35 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

This reminds me of ABA. You have to keep using reinforcement until the child ceases to display the undesirable behaviour.

It would appear white Americans are emotionally like children, they keep having to get taught the same lesson over and over again that using racist symbolism is not appropriate...I'm sure due to the stupidity of people this will not be the last time apologies will be posted on twitter over dumb pranks or actions.

You probably went against the wrong planet rules by attacking "white Americans"

Back to the topic at hand while what the baseball team did is childish trolling for the vast majority of its history and for the vast majority of people the "Betsy Ross flag" has not been a racist symbol.
ADL Says Betsy Ross Flag Is ‘Not a Thing in the White Supremacist Movement’
Quote:
Anti-Defamation League’s (ADL) Center on Extremism Senior Research Fellow Mark Pitcavage told the Associated Press (AP) on July 3 that the Betsy Ross flag is “innocuous” and isn’t typically used as white supremacist imagery.

Pitcavage told CNBC that while white supremacists occasionally use the flag, he has never seriously thought about adding the Betsy Ross flag to the ADL’s database of hate symbols.

“We view it as essentially an innocuous historical flag,” Pitcavage told the AP. “It’s not a thing in the white supremacist movement.”
The Betsy Ross flag previously came under controversy in 2016, when students at Forest Hills Central High School in Michigan held the flag in the opponents’ stands during a football game against Ottawa Hills High School. Ottawa Hills parents said at the time that the flag made them feel uncomfortable because Ottawa Hills has a high number of black students and parents. Forest Hills Superintendent Dan Behm said at the time that the flag was being waved as part of school’s “red, white and blue” theme night and that the students didn’t mean any harm. He later apologized.

The New York Times found a couple of instances where the Ku Klux Klan utilized the flag in 2017.