Alt right and Antifa fight in Portland again

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 9:40 pm

3 arrested as downtown Portland protests escalate into civil disturbance

Quote:
Rival demonstrators clashed Saturday afternoon in downtown Portland, resulting in myriad injuries and three arrests.

Protesters from the left and right held separate demonstrations that eventually resulted in roving marches throughout the downtown core, halting traffic and public transit for much of the early afternoon amid the busy tourist season. Police declared a civil disturbance and unlawful assembly shortly after 3 p.m., and crowds dispersed before the afternoon concluded.

The demonstrations, which were mostly peaceful, started at about noon in Lownsdale and Pioneer Courthouse squares. Video of one skirmish, in which a local conservative writer was apparently attacked by a group of left-wing protesters, quickly spread across the internet.

At Lownsdale, a group opposing right-wing demonstrators pumped music and distributed vegan milkshakes. Meanwhile a separate, loosely organized demonstration by the #HimToo movement occurred at Pioneer Courthouse Square. Group members say they support men who have been falsely accused of rape.

Protesters from the competing factions converged near Pioneer Courthouse Square, leading to brief flashes of violence and pointed confrontations.

At one point, people in the crowd threw eggs and milkshakes at Portland police officers. Some milkshakes that were thrown may have contained “a substance similar to quick-drying cement,” police said. They also asked for people who witnessed violent assaults to email them. Protesters were also seen using bear and pepper spray.

Officers deployed pepper spray into the crowd near the Pioneer Courthouse Square at some point during the protests.

Police said they arrested three people during the course of the afternoon. Gage Halupowski, 23, was charged with second-degree assault and assault of a police officer, both felonies, as well as resisting arrest and interfering with a police officer. Maria DeHart, 23, was charged with second-degree disorderly conduct and harassment. James Stocks, 21, was charged with harassment.

Medics treated eight people, including three officers, for injuries, according to police. One officer was punched in the arm, another officer was hit in the head by a projectile and two were pepper-sprayed. At least two people were seen being treated for injuries near the Nines hotel on Southwest Morrison Street.

Police said three of the injured people received medical care at area hospitals. Among the people injured over the course of the afternoon was Andy Ngo, the conservative writer who appeared to be attacked by antifa members.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Banjo54
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2019, 11:19 pm

I had not previously heard of Andy Ngo. He's a gay Vietnamese-American journalist who was attacked by Antifa during these events. He had "milkshakes" mixed with cement thrown at him, and he was subsequently physically attacked. Afterwards, he was taken to the ER.
I'm not especially political, so I don't typically state my opinion on these sorts of things. However, in this case, I feel like I can objectively say that this is disgusting. Unprovoked violence is never okay, no matter what twisted justification you give it. I hope that everyone involved in attacking Ngo is thrown in jail!
So much for "tolerance."

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2019, 7:15 pm

Take the hoodies and masks off and you'll find purebred fascists. The mayor seems to admire them. Portland has become a leftwing insane asylum.
Andy Ngo should consider filing a federal civil rights claim against the city of Portland and its mayor, Ted Wheeler, who has a history of giving his cops stand down orders, leaving law abiding citizens open to violent assault by antifa criminals..

They are generating Trump votes and don't even know it.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2019, 9:25 pm

Antifa is the modern-day Ku Klux Klan -- it's the current paramilitary wing of the Democratic Party, just like the Klan was in ages past. The US sent in federal troops to put down the Klan, and the Antifa terrorists deserve the same treatment.

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2019, 12:20 am

From Andy Ngo's lawyer (who might make a good Attorney General some day):

There Are Four Lights!

traven
Veteran
Veteran

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2019, 2:15 am

The Portland Police are under official investigation for aiding fascists during a right wing rally by launching an unprovoked attack on Antifa protestors
https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry ... e723e99c2a

According to the Huffington post the police behaved in the same manner as Charlottesville police who famously stood by allowing Alt-right thugs to isolate and physically attack innocent protestors

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2019, 3:14 am

cyberdad wrote:
The Portland Police are under official investigation for aiding fascists during a right wing rally by launching an unprovoked attack on Antifa protestors
https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry ... e723e99c2a

According to the Huffington post the police behaved in the same manner as Charlottesville police who famously stood by allowing Alt-right thugs to isolate and physically attack innocent protestors

Nonsense, google search turns up nothing related to this. Cite a source with more credibility than a minute and a half video from HuffPo.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2019, 3:22 am

Oh the investigation is definitely on the Portland Police
https://www.wweek.com/news/courts/2019/ ... nizations/

It's not the first time the police have sided with racists. From Detective Mark Fuhrman in the OJ Simpson case to the inaction of Charlottesville police leading to the death of a innocent girl...the police are implicated

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2019, 3:40 am

Since it doesn't seem to be mentioned: quick-drying cement is highly caustic. Throwing those "milkshakes" should be considered disguised acid attacks.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2019, 9:51 am

Ted Cruz @tedcruz
To federal law enforcement: investigate & bring legal action against a Mayor who has, for political reasons, ordered his police officers to let citizens be attacked by domestic terrorists. https://tinyurl.com/y2udrv5d

Ted Cruz @tedcruz
To law enforcement: find & prosecute these violent felons. https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1145212299914952704
11:10 PM - 29 Jun 2019

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1145212985692119041

There Are Four Lights!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2019, 5:00 pm

Not hard to see what the protestors were dealing with
https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry ... f0e7dacc0a
Portland Police Sergeant To Precinct: If A Homeless Person Is Black, Just Shoot Them
Sgt. Gregg Lewis was fired last year for his comments, first released publicly this week. He is fighting the firing and may be able to retire with pension.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2019, 5:22 pm

Antifa are the new Brownshirts.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2019, 5:40 pm

hardly

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2019, 5:46 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Since it doesn't seem to be mentioned: quick-drying cement is highly caustic. Throwing those "milkshakes" should be considered disguised acid attacks.

...I saw a piece somewhere saying that the liquid-cement-in-the-milkshake narrative was false. At best, someone honestly mistook powdered milkshake mix for liquid cement.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2019, 6:39 pm

I say, we just let them kill each other.