Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 7:55 pm

MAD, the long-running satirical magazine that influenced everyone from "Weird" Al Yankovic to the writers of"The Simpsons", will be leaving newsstands after its August issue. Really.

The illustrated humor magazine -- instantly recognizable by the gap-toothed smiling face of mascot Alfred E. Neuman -- will still be available in comic shops and through mail to subscribers. But after its fall issue it will just reprint previously published material.

The only new material will come in special editions at the end of the year.

Source: This Detroit News Article

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 2:09 am

death by youtube....

Long ago when my mother found my stash of "mens" magazines she seemed more concerned that I was read Mad magazine than Playboy (somehow too subversive and crude)...anyway got a stern lecture for both...veritable filth :lol:

RIP Mad...

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 9:20 pm

Quote:
When President Donald Trump referred to Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg as Neuman, while insisting he wouldn’t be fit to serve as president, the 37-year-old candidate said he had to Google the reference.

Buttigieg purported in his youthful way to not have any idea who Trump was talking about, marking Mad as hopelessly irrelevant, while reality is marking Mr. Buttigieg as hopelessly irrelevant. Mad magazine will be remembered well past him becoming a footnote to a footnote. MAD represented parody. I suppose, it simply became too difficult to compete with real life.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 9:48 pm

Shrapnel wrote:
Buttigieg ... Trump ...
Do you have to politicize everything?

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 9:54 pm

Fnord wrote:
Shrapnel wrote:
Buttigieg ... Trump ...

:roll:

That quote is from the article you linked.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 10:16 pm

Sad.

The end of an era.

MAD is a magazine that several generations of parents would PRETEND to disapprove of so that their teen kids would be SURE to read it (between the covers at night with a flashlight, along with Playboy, and with "The Congressional Record"). Kids would think that it was bad for them, but it was the most educational thing that they could read.

It was right on the heels of the Six Day War in the Mideast in 1967 when I was 12 that I picked up, not the magazine version, but the paperback book version with old stuff from the Fifties. And I read about one of the players in the then current Mideast war: Gamel Abdul Nassar of Egypt. So right there I learned from the book that Nassar had been around for a LONG time. The cartoon strip had Nasser with his hands in his pockets moping around his palace like a middle school kid like myself at the time. His aides doting on him like parents. The reason Nassar was feeling down was because he couldn't go to "the dictator's dance". Couldn't go because he was broke. But then...Nassar gets a thought light bulb! He gets on the phone to Krustchev and says "if you don't give me five billion I will join NATO". And then he gets on the phone to Eisenhower and says "if you don't give me five billion dollars I will join the Warsaw Pact". Nasser's aides are astounded and say "your excelliency! you're a genius! Now you CAN go to the Dictator's Dance!". To which Nasser replies that when he gets to the dance "I cant wait to tell Tito and Franco this. They'll flip!".

The comic strip was so masterfully stupid that I still remember it.

But that one comic strip in MAD taught me more about Cold War geopolitics than any geography teacher I had in junior high. But I didn't even realize that I was being educated. I thought I was just being entertained!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 10:54 pm

Shrapnel wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Shrapnel wrote:
Buttigieg ... Trump ...
That quote is from the article you linked.
That quote from the linked article is the only one that you think is important. Must you politicize every thread?

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 11:34 pm

Fnord wrote:
Must you politicize every thread?

Clearly you have not read all of my posts.

Quote:
The Paris Review noted that the “impish, immutable redhead made his official debut in December 1956, when he appeared on the cover of MAD No. 30 as a write-in candidate for president.”

No politics in MAD magazine. Please save your trifling lectures.

EDIT: Let it go fnord, you're hijacking your own thread.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 10:20 pm

My folks bought it for me,Cracked was the other one.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 10:15 am

I am only vaguely aware of its existence and would have thought it had gone out of publication a long time ago.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2019, 3:16 am

RIP the Usual Gang of Idiots.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2019, 3:30 am

I hate modernism. It would've been cool if I was born a decade or two earlier. :(

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2019, 10:37 pm

...Nobody commented when I wrote about. this in another forum :( ! At Mad's commercial height it sold something like 3.5 million per eight??-times-annually issue and had THREE long-term successful clones/imitators from other lublishers - Cracked, " Sick ",and " Crazy " :P 8O! Crazy was published by Marvel Comics. DC Comics had bought Mad in the 60s, though they treated it seperately. :)

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 11:59 pm

That's one of my favourite magazines. How could they do that to me?