Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 3:19 pm

#NotMyAriel: Outrage over black actress in Disney live-action Little Mermaid sparks hilarious memes

Quote:
The casting of R&B singer Halle Bailey as Ariel in a live-action version of The Little Mermaid has sparked a social-media storm centred around the hashtag #NotMyAriel.

In response to complaints over the "blackwashing" of the Disney character Ariel, people posted hilarious memes - mostly querying why there were complaints about who exactly could play the fictional creature.

Bailey, 19, who rose to fame under the wing of pop queen Beyonce, said it was a "dream come true" to play the lead role.

She tweeted a cartoon image of the princess in which the traditionally red-headed Ariel has dark skin, brown eyes and black hair.

Director Rob Marshall said Bailey had been cast after an extensive search, and praised her "rare combination of spirit, heart, youth, innocence, and substance - plus a glorious singing voice."

But not everyone was happy at the news.

"Why did they made Ariel black? I'm not racist, but why the heck will they make her black if she is white in the original film. Imagine if Snowwhite would be black or Tiana white, lmao. #NotMyAriel""

"#NotMyAriel blackwashing is as bad as whitewashing"

However other users quickly made fun on the #NotMyAriel sentiment and it started trending globally on Twitter.

"ZUBY:
@ZubyMusic
I'm offended by the casting of a woman of colour as Ariel.

They should have used an ACTUAL, real mermaid.

Sick and tired of this human privilege.#NotMyAriel"

Adults getting all bent out of shape over a fictional mermaid. SMH. Ariel will not replace you. Leave the Disney princess discussions to 5 and 6 year olds.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 3:45 pm

Halle Bailey?! This is an outrage!!

I was hoping for Halle Berry!

;) Either way, it's cool!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 4:00 pm

...You knew.that Hans Christian Andersen be a brotha, all along...and Wonderful Copenhagen is tha hood!! !! !! !! !! :lol: :P

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 4:11 pm

Reminds me about a similar twitter-outrage following Frozen that insisted that the Sami character wasn't ethnic-looking enough. Stupid all around.

I'll admit I was kind of concerned when they cast Idris Elba as Roland in the Gunslinger, but only really because Roland being white is an important aspect in his interactions with a character further down the line. Luckily the adaptation wasn't faithful to the source-material for this to become an issue.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 4:13 pm

I saw the actress. She looks like she'd be excellent for the part.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 5:11 pm

Still tastes the same between two slices of bread :twisted:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jul 2019, 10:18 pm

So, did we all just...like, forget about that time Disney made a live-action adaptation of "Cinderella" in the '90s with Brandy and Whitney Houston? The one that was a huge ratings smash and earned seven Emmy nominations? Anybody...? Anybody...?

And who says race relations are worse now? :roll:

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 1:21 am

PurpleReject wrote:
So, did we all just...like, forget about that time Disney made a live-action adaptation of "Cinderella" in the '90s with Brandy and Whitney Houston? The one that was a huge ratings smash and earned seven Emmy nominations? Anybody...? Anybody...?

And who says race relations are worse now? :roll:

...That was a remake of the Rogers & Hammerstein Cinderella, which had had previous versions with Julie Andrews and Lesley Anne Warren, I believe. Was it made by Disney?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 2:15 am

Fnord wrote:
[color=black]Halle Bailey?! This is an outrage!!

was going to make a Hale Bopp joke, but it probably would have gone over people's heads....

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 2:21 am

I actually thought they were casting Halle Berry!
perceptual distortion...

Disney primarily chose Haile Bailey because she has an an angelic voice.

The usual twitter rumblings...history repeating itself
https://jezebel.com/racist-hunger-games ... ed-5896408

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 3:47 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Fnord wrote:

was going to make a Hale Bopp joke, but it probably would have gone over people's heads....

Who is Hale Bopp? An R&B artist?

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 3:58 am

cyberdad wrote:
I actually thought they were casting Halle Berry!
perceptual distortion...

Disney primarily chose Haile Bailey because she has an an angelic voice.

The usual twitter rumblings...history repeating itself
https://jezebel.com/racist-hunger-games ... ed-5896408

Me too, we're old.

I think it makes sense cos it means they can keep Sebastian without other snowflakes being offended. Just set it in the Caribbean.

Trouble is it's the sjw snowflakes vs the anti-sjw snowflakes these days.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 4:19 am

Oh yeah I forgot about Sebastian, I guess the original Little Mermaid must have also been banned by the far right as well :lol:

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 5:26 am

EzraS wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Who is Hale Bopp? An R&B artist?

If I'm not mistaken, it was a comet. I first heard of it in 1996, 97 something like that.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 6:06 am

Hale Bopp is the R&B version of She Bopp by Cyndi Lauper

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 6:09 am

I thought you were talking about the user here under that nickname.