Covington-WaPo Lawsuit Thrown Out Of Court

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 1:17 am

I lost a draft :cry:. Anyhow...
The $250 million federal lawsuit against the Washington Post by Kentucky HS student Nick Sandmann regarding their press about him in the " smirking in a MAGA cap " case has been thrown out of court by the judge! (I can't link) The other cases his law firm announced against CNN and NBC remain active at this time - But somehow I think they might have not too much longer for this world! :P Hope you didn't do TOO much shopping for video game systems and limited-edition Air Jordans, kid :mrgreen: :twisted: :wink: .........

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Dillion589
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2019, 3:32 am

THank you for this kind info

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 3:37 am

Covington teen’s $250M suit against the Washington Post dismissed

Quote:
The $250 million defamation lawsuit filed by Covington Catholic High School student Nicholas Sandmann against the Washington Post was dismissed Friday.

Attorneys for the Kentucky teen — who was filmed earlier this year in January wearing a MAGA hat in a viral standoff with Native American activist Nathan Phillips in Washington, DC — claimed the newspaper’s coverage of the incident led to a “mob of bullies which attacked, vilified & threatened” Sandmann.

But US District Judge William Bertelsman tossed the suit, saying the paper was within its rights to publish Phillips’ views that the teen was deliberately blocking his path — even if that wasn’t the case.

“The Court accepts Sandmann’s statement that, when he was standing motionless in the confrontation with Philip’s his intent was to calm the situation and not to impede or block anyone,” Bertelsman wrote in a ruling.

“However, Phillips did not see it that way. He concluded that he was being ‘blocked’ and not allowed to ‘retreat,’” the ruling read. “He passed these conclusions on to The Post. They may have been erroneous, but … they are opinion protected by the First Amendment. And The Post is not liable for publishing these opinions, for the reasons discussed in this Opinion.”

Sandmann’s lawsuit had claimed that the Washington Post “ignored the truth and falsely accused Nicholas of, among other things, ‘accost[ing]’ Phillips by ‘suddenly swarm[ing]’ him in a ‘threaten[ing]’ and ‘physically intimidat[ing]’ manner.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 3:39 am

there is some justice in this world. thank god for small favors.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 10:59 am

1. Only one of three lawsuits were dismissed.

2. Sandmann family plans to appeal this decision.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 11:11 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
1. Only one of three lawsuits were dismissed.

2. Sandmann family plans to appeal this decision.

...Does the Sandmann family have dollar signs in their eyes :twisted: ? I said before that I could sympathise with, and it would likely be pretty low+lying fruit for the Sandmanns to pursue going after the people who made threats to them they say we're made - but that's not as dramatic/doesn't promise a Real Big Jackpot, does it :mrgreen: ?
You are correct about the other 2 suits - But, why do you think they won't get thrown out too? Yes, they can appeal - Since they were nearly immediately shit-cannef with this attempt, why do you think they would win with a 2nd?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 11:18 am

I have no love for either the MAGA wearing hat teenager or the MSM. But what is the greater offense, here? Standing and smirking at a Native American -- or journalists showing only a portion of the story to drive a certain narrative for a political agenda? My opinion is it's the latter. What offended me the most about this story was the phony outrage exhibited by the MSM. If it was genuine, explain to me why they didn't show the same outrage when Native Americans were being blasted by water cannons in 2016 for during the DAPL protests simply for defending their rights not to have their water contaminated at the behest oil compainies and Wall Street bankers. They hardly covered that story. I rest my case.

The Sandman's have a very legitimate beef.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 3:08 pm

Summarizing what I said in other threads.

1. I find Sandmann's infamous smirk a typical teenage thing. I get why when people see that smirk they see a bully because I saw that look plenty of times before I was bullied. I have also have had that expression during shutdowns when I am frozen unsure what to do.

2. I think Phillips is despicable. A liar who committed stolen valor.

3. I think Sandmann should have gone after the celebrities and commentators who went after him in such a personal way and advocated doxing him and so on.

Conclusion:
In one of the threads, I posted a clip from Alan Dershowitz saying Sandmann should fire the attorneys for claiming it was a political hit job. The court ruling proved Dershowitz correct. WoPo was morally wrong and irresponsible to jump the gun based on the first video, slant their story towered Phillips but were in their first amendment rights to do so.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 4:19 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Summarizing what I said in other threads.

1. I find Sandmann's infamous smirk a typical teenage thing. I get why when people see that smirk they see a bully because I saw that look plenty of times before I was bullied. I have also have had that expression during shutdowns when I am frozen unsure what to do.

2. I think Phillips is despicable. A liar who committed stolen valor.

3. I think Sandmann should have gone after the celebrities and commentators who went after him in such a personal way and advocated doxing him and so on.

Conclusion:
In one of the threads, I posted a clip from Alan Dershowitz saying Sandmann should fire the attorneys for claiming it was a political hit job. The court ruling proved Dershowitz correct. WoPo was morally wrong and irresponsible to jump the gun based on the first video, slant their story towered Phillips but were in their first amendment rights to do so.

The smile, or smirk, or simper or whatever you call it harmed no one.

The news divided America further.

People who get that wound up over something probably need to go get a hobby, and fighting about who gets to hate their country the most on the Internet isn't a hobby!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 8:31 pm

ha ha in your face Sandmann family :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with AS that their mistake was to hire a legal team who chose to politicise Sandmann as a victim of liberal press and liberal celebrities/politicians

There is some integrity left in the US justice system. I think the newspapers should counter sue the Sandmann family and send the these right wing Covington opportunists broke...

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 8:39 pm

^Were you alright with the celebrities who wanted to have this kid doxxed?

Oscar Meyer Lansky

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 8:45 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ha ha in your face Sandmann family :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with AS that their mistake was to hire a legal team who chose to politicise Sandmann as a victim of liberal press and liberal celebrities/politicians

There is some integrity left in the US justice system. I think the newspapers should counter sue the Sandmann family and send the these right wing Covington opportunists broke...

Sue the kid for what?

And do you think that would put the WP and other media in a better light?

Or would it be more like setting a precedent of, "we will say anything we want to about you, and if you try to fight back the United States court system will ruin you".

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 8:48 pm

Yeah, let's sue them for having the audacity to hold the horrible corporate media accountable for their actions.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 9:15 pm

EzraS wrote:
Sue the kid for what?

I didn't say sue the little brat...

I said the newspapers should sue the family for wasting the court's and their time with a frivolous opportunistic cash grab and for slandering the good name of the free press with lies.

People shouldn't be allowed to hold multimillion dollar litigation cases against the media for opportunistic reasons and then walk away and pretend like nothing happened...

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 9:19 pm

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Sue the kid for what?

slandering the good name of the free press with lies.

Oh, Lord, help me! I'm about to have a hysterical laughing fit that might result in a major stroke!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 9:20 pm

Borromeo wrote:
The smile, or smirk, or simper or whatever you call it harmed no one.

It was a smile until the left painted it as a "privileged smirk", and he only got noticed and attacked by the left because of the MAGA hat. This is what drove me (and others I know IRL) to buy and wear a MAGA hat.

Quote:
The news divided America further.

Another nail in the coffin for the left, and they've vigorously hammered it in themselves. They've been working extra hard toward thier own demise since '16. I'm sure Trump appreciates them helping him win next year's election. I know I do. :P

Quote:
People who get that wound up over something probably need to go get a hobby, and fighting about who gets to hate their country the most on the Internet isn't a hobby!

Maybe get a job, too...