Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 1:34 am

ASS-P wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
madbutnotmad wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I wonder if this shooting will be blamed on autism like the other shootings. We are not Hitlers.

Hey Mr. CockneyRebel, just out of interest, you may not know but Pete Townsend's brother has Autism Spectrum Disorder. and has been known to play with the Who over the years.

Also, the infamous and arguably my favourite rock opera "Tommy" was inspired greatly by his brother.
Just out of interest. I feel a bit like Tommy in a lot of ways, although i am not death dumb or blind.
Quiet the opposite. i used to be a bit of a pinball wizard in my teenage years. Pin ball being a bit of a trend during
the early mod years...

I find that very fascinating. I had no idea that Townsend's brother was autistic. I knew that The Tommy was inspired by an autistic person. I had no idea that the person was his brother.

I know this is way off topic but since unverified and apparently incorrect information has been repeated I am repeating my reply from earlier in the thread.
While Townsend identifies the character "Pinbal wizard" as Autistic it was not based on his brother. I have not seen evidence his brother is autistic.
Pete Townshend talks about The Who’s Tommy
Quote:
“It all began with a poem,” Townshend begins simply. “I had been a recent inductee to the teachings of the Indian master Meher Baba and he led me to the poems of Hermann Hesse. I started to write about a young seeker. I made him a deaf, dumb and blind boy, because we are all deaf, dumb and blind until we discover our spiritual side.

“I called the story Amazing Journey,” he says, which is also the name of the pivotal song from the rock opera that would change Townshend’s life.

He talks about the topic in a broader sense at first but would bring it very close to home later.

“You have to understand what it was like for my generation, the one that came right after the Second World War (Townshend was born in 1945). In the immediate aftermath of the war, the value of the child had changed. I don’t think we were considered to be particularly important. We all felt disenfranchised. Our parents were worried about living under the shadow of the bomb and dealing with postwar austerity.”

Townshend took all those feelings, as well as the core of the spiritual search he had touched on in his poem and started writing.

“I had a real mentor in Kit. Without him, Tommy would have just been a rock album with a kind of story underneath. He helped me make it make sense.”

So Townshend sent his deaf, dumb and blind boy on an amazing journey where “he’d be the experiment for everyone’s darker side,” with images and characters he plucked from his subconscious: the nurturing yet destroying Acid Queen, the malevolent Cousin Kevin and, most significantly, the child-abusing Uncle Ernie.

The concept of Tommy being a “pinball wizard” and acquiring worldwide fame because of his skill at those flashing machines may seem integral to the work now, but it was added at the 11th hour.

Nik Cohn, then the rock critic for The Observer, heard an early mix of Tommy and had some reservations.

“It’s a bit po-faced, all this spiritualism,” Townshend recounts him saying of that version, in which Tommy became a rock star. “You need something to make it more fun.”

Cohn had been telling Townshend about “a tough little 16-year-old girl who was a pinball hustler,” and suddenly Townshend decided to make his hero “a pinball champion, gathering disciples and taking over the world.”

He wrote the now famous anthem, “Pinball Wizard” and “wrote all the other pinball references into the story sideways.”

“It worked. It made the whole story lighter, but it also made it more accessible and that allowed me to go deeper. Suddenly there was this sense that pinball was about the universe and an autistic, Asperger’s-afflicted, deaf, dumb and blind kid could be the key to it all.”

...Pete Townsend had a brother, Simon Townsend, who put out a couple of albums. Whether he's one-of us or no...do you mean Simon?

Pete has two brothers Simon and Paul that are much younger than. I do not know who is the brother that is supposedly autistic.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 2:34 am

I remember the romantic old days when Jim Reeves would sing...."Out in the west Texas Town of Old Paso, I fell in love with a Mexican girl".....lah lah lah

Now it's mass shooting and walls....

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 3:41 am

Ironically for me the fist thing that came to mind was the El Passo wedding massacre from the movies Kill Bill 1 & 2.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 3:55 am

For me it's the "old El Paso" wraps....Mexican food is big here in Australia

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 5:07 am

Interesting read
Pittsburgh Tree of Life Synagogue shooter Robert Bowers wrote online that he wanted to stop those working to “bring invaders in that kill our people”.
Christchurch terrorist Brenton Tarrant decried immigration as an “assault on the European people” … “This is ethnic replacement. This is cultural replacement. This is racial replacement. This is WHITE GENOCIDE.”
And, during the 2017 Charlottesville white supremacist marches, they chanted: “You will not replace us.”

Trump's little throw-away link about the Charlottesville protestors being "fine people" has had serious repercussions down the line.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 6:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
Interesting read
Pittsburgh Tree of Life Synagogue shooter Robert Bowers wrote online that he wanted to stop those working to “bring invaders in that kill our people”.
Christchurch terrorist Brenton Tarrant decried immigration as an “assault on the European people” … “This is ethnic replacement. This is cultural replacement. This is racial replacement. This is WHITE GENOCIDE.”
And, during the 2017 Charlottesville white supremacist marches, they chanted: “You will not replace us.”

Trump's little throw-away link about the Charlottesville protestors being "fine people" has had serious repercussions down the line.

There is no link to Trump. And you know Trump was saying they're probably not all bad, and if we're being honest here, he's probably right. Outside of that one guy, they pretty much came, protested peacefully and lawfully, and left.

If you're quoting out of the manifesto, you show take the whole thing into consideration which tells you exactly why he did it and Trump is not the reason.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 6:28 am

Marty Robbins sang the hit version of “El Paso.”

Jim Reeves might have found the lyrics too heavy.

It sounds like a Jim Reeves song on the surface....but the lyrics were actually fairly heavy for its time, 1959.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 05 Aug 2019, 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 6:45 am

Food for thought:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 6:46 am

Drake wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Interesting read

There is no link to Trump. And you know Trump was saying they're probably not all bad, and if we're being honest here, he's probably right. Outside of that one guy, they pretty much came, protested peacefully and lawfully, and left.

If you're quoting out of the manifesto, you show take the whole thing into consideration which tells you exactly why he did it and Trump is not the reason.

There seems to be an extreme need to link Trump to nazism and portray him as causing an enormous surge in nazism to be seen as an extreme threat to America. With him being a Putin operative as a companion threat. Of course Russia has to be portrayed as a major threat to the US as well.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 6:55 am

Owing to its Soviet past, and Putin’s role in the KGB, I would feel skepticism towards Russian intentions towards the United States.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 7:39 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Owing to its Soviet past, and Putin’s role in the KGB, I would feel skepticism towards Russian intentions towards us.

Putin has been in power for 20 years. I have watched James Bond and Austin Powers movies. Blofeld and Dr. Evil carry out their insidious plots much faster than that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 7:40 am

I said be wary.....not be scared.....

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 7:43 am

Yeah but the idea is to be afraid. Very afraid.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 7:46 am

The idea is to have a healthy skepticism---not be "very afraid".....

Most Russian people I met are nice people. And there have been many technological advances in Russia----though the economy sucks. They really did a nice renovation job on Moscow. I am of Russian descent myself.

Even so, I am glad I'm not under the thumb of Putin and the Russian bureaucracy.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 8:06 am

Well like I said satirically above. Putin has been in power for 20 years.

Usually historically speaking the truely evil learders established themselves as such way before that much time has passed.

I think Putin has been as dangerous as he will ever get for some time now.

He is no angel, but I do not think he has been waiting 20 years to finally pull some insidious rabbit out of his hat.

Uh oh, there I go defending him.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 8:41 am

Putin is focused on his own country and his immediate neighbors (which he seeks to acquire)----and his self-aggrandizement within the context of his own country. He has no time to be really concerned with the United States, except in a sort of passive-aggressive sense.

Nevertheless, the United States has to have a healthy skepticism of Putin (and of Russia as a political entity) because of the Soviet past, and Putin's past. I would have probably felt a little less skepticism had Gorbachev remained in power.

Of course, he is pissed that sanctions have been imposed upon his country by the United States.