El Paso mall shooting: At least 15 dead, 1 in custody

Page 6 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2019, 7:55 am

The manifesto from the El Paso Walmart shooter (Patrick Crusius) was titled "An Inconvenient Truth". Interesting that the title exactly matches the title of a movie by Al Gore! Coincidence - I think not!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2019, 1:28 pm

It could also mean that he knows that his "truth" will be "inconvenient" to others-----as if HE had "all the answers."

Anybody who claims to have "all the answers"---I disregard.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2019, 4:43 pm

jimmy m wrote:
The manifesto from the El Paso Walmart shooter (Patrick Crusius) was titled "An Inconvenient Truth". Interesting that the title exactly matches the title of a movie by Al Gore! Coincidence - I think not!

hee hee.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2019, 4:53 pm

I wish Al Gore didn't claim to have "invented the Internet."

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2019, 10:26 pm

These last two mass shootings seem to be all about intolerance of some kind. And an inability not to act on it... I understand impulsive behaviors, my life has been plagued with things I probably shouldn't have said, or done. But, try as I might, I'll never understand what it would take (short of being in fear for my life) to act on deadly violence.

I think everyone must experience some intolerance to a degree. I do. I'll feel something, then think about it, maybe get a little angry, let it rent a little space in my head, etc... But, usually what I come up with is that I'm just not willing to waste any more energy on it.

But to plan/plot, write a manifesto, drive 70 miles, shoot the place up? Chicken out of getting shot, get arrested, go on trial, probably get the death penalty... I just don't get it. I sure hope there are grants dedicated to studying these brains while they are alive and after they are dead. There is no way that someone with the capacity for that much hate and violence isn't going to show something in the way of cognitive or neurological changes, over time.

I get that hate is an emotion and perhaps some feel it is a soul sickness, I'm not inclined to disagree. I just feel that it must be cultivated to be allowed to grow to the degree it would take to overcome certain self-preserving reactions. And that should show some sort of cognitive changes.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 1:42 am

Even though there have been a lot of them, shooters are very rare when compared to the rest of the population. Like one out of a million or more.

They have varying reasons they give or law enforcement piecs together. But to me it is like their motive is more like an excuse to go on a shooting rampage.

I guess they fall into the 'natual born killer' category.

Or perhaps the serial killer category, except that they make their multiple kills all at once rather over a span of months or years.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 4:32 am

shooters are like the bubbles that pop at the surface of a boiling kettle. Trump and the right wing have been applying the heat.

Young vulnerable males internalise rubbish like what trump parrots about "invasion" and reach a point where they think they have to act on it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 4:46 am

It seems like the most significant part of this for some is using it for anti-trump propaganda. Even though the El Paso shooter went out of his way to discredit trump as a cause and the Dayton shooter was a lefty, opportunistic propaganda will still be milked from this regardless. I wish some would just be honest and say "we are going to exploit this to our fullest advantage". In some cases it is almost like expecting them to send a thank you card to the shooter.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 4:50 am

EzraS wrote:
It seems like the most significant part of this for some is using it for anti-trump propaganda. Even though the El Paso shooter went out of his way to discredit trump as a cause and the Dayton shooter was a lefty, opportunistic propaganda will still be milked from this regardless. I wish some would just be honest and say "we are going to exploit this to our fullest advantage". In some cases it is almost like expecting them to send a thank you card to the shooter.

As Bill has mentioned more than one shooter has credited trump's speeches for inspiring them to murder. I wouldn't rely on the Dayton shooter's tweets as his motives are entirely murky.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 4:54 am

I must have missed that. Which shooters credited Trump's speeches?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 5:23 am

Brendan tarrant directly attributed Trump before killing 50 innocent people in NZ....The El Paso shooter's manifesto used trump type language....

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 6:02 am

Tarrant said the impetus for his attack came after his own visit to France.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 6:11 am

He still claimed inspiration from Trump https://au.news.yahoo.com/new-zealand-s ... C-JHQDPqwM

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 6:25 am

If someone expresses admiration for Donald Trump and Anders Breivik, which of these woud you suspect to be more influential in said persons decision to go on a Spree killing?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 6:41 am

cyberdad wrote:
Brendan tarrant directly attributed Trump before killing 50 innocent people in NZ....The El Paso shooter's manifesto used trump type language....

The El Paso shooter specifically discredited Trump as a motivator.

If he had written 'Trump made me do it' you would be going on and on about it.

But since he wrote 'Trump had nothing to do with it' it is like you want to pretend he did not say that.

So that kinda leaves one. Two if you want to disregard his disclaimer.

I was expecting a higher number with the huge amount of terrorism Trump is supposed to be generating.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 2:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wish Al Gore didn't claim to have "invented the Internet."

Yeah that really didn't help his publicity.