Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 10:50 am

Or maybe make gun licenses mandatory. You have to have a drivers license to drive..and vehicles just have the risk of killing people they aren't designed specifically for it but you still have to have a license..yet anyone can just walk into a store and buy a gun.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 11:03 am

I though gun licenses were a thing in the states. Or is that just some states?

Roboto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2019, 11:37 am

Borromeo wrote:
I think the topic's rather dumb. Few people would suggest banning computer games would solve this. Violent gaming is only a fragment of a violent culture, one which does not see value in human life.

Pregnant? It's a choice now. Teenage kid makes a bad decision? Threaten to disown him/her. Bang-buddies not working out? Go and plow someone else. Married, wife sick? Divorce, alimony. Old relative? Euthanasia. Got dissed on the street by the homies from the other side? Drive-by shooting. Hate some group of people for race? Vote Republican and go kill them. Hate a group of lawmakers? Vote Democratic & shoot them while they're playing baseball.

Then moan about it all on social media.

Sorry not sorry.

Incidentally, considering how many people ARE armed & dangerous, I am not giving up fire-arms at all. There will have to be a cultural change across the nation.

And perhaps, by the time that culture DOES change, people will not be committing mass murders, and fire-arms will be no bother. Who can say? (Although I'm not very hopeful, at the moment.)

Bingo.

Roboto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2019, 11:40 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
I own several guns, even more knives, I've been a gamer almost as long as games have been a thing and if I could I would put "the internet" as my country of origin on official forms. Exactly how long is the corruption supposed to take? Why haven't I gone on a spree yet, given my predeliction to these harmful and dangerous influences?

Quote:
As in the UK, they have the same video games. and there are very few shootings

How are those knife-crime statistics looking, though?

Sample size of one.
Surprised to see anyone here think a single instance of how their brain interprets information as being proof of how every other single human being on the planet would act with the identical stimulus.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 12:35 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:

Seems like a few states require a permit or license at least on some guns. But for the most part I don't think gun licenses are a requirement.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 1:22 pm

Roboto wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
I own several guns, even more knives, I've been a gamer almost as long as games have been a thing and if I could I would put "the internet" as my country of origin on official forms. Exactly how long is the corruption supposed to take? Why haven't I gone on a spree yet, given my predeliction to these harmful and dangerous influences?

Quote:

Sample size of one.
Surprised to see anyone here think a single instance of how their brain interprets information as being proof of how every other single human being on the planet would act with the identical stimulus.

Yes, a single instance...plus the millions of others who indulge in gaming, being on the internet and have some manner of access to firearms and yet somehow manages to contain ourselves and not go on spree killings.What sort of twisted imagination must you have to assume murderers to be the rule rather than the exception?

And I'm sorry to have to rip the utopian goggles off quite so brusquely, but there is absolutely no way to legislate away attacks such as this. If you were to ban everything that might provoke an aggressive response in a single one out of "every other single human being on the planet", what exactly do you think would remain?

Sweetleaf wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Seems like a few states require a permit or license at least on some guns. But for the most part I don't think gun licenses are a requirement.

Licenses are all well and good, but so long as ammunition is readily available and purchasable by pretty much anyone, they're not really going to help much.

allow Gun Jesus to illustrate.

Roboto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2019, 1:25 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Roboto wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Quote:

Sample size of one.

Yes, a single instance...plus the millions of others who indulge in gaming, being on the internet and have some manner of access to firearms and yet somehow manages to contain ourselves and not go on spree killings.What sort of twisted imagination must you have to assume murderers to be the rule rather than the exception?

And I'm sorry to have to rip the utopian goggles off quite so brusquely, but there is absolutely no way to legislate away attacks such as this. If you were to ban everything that might provoke an aggressive response in a single one out of "every other single human being on the planet", what exactly do you think would remain?

I’m all for gun ownership, I just think examples demonstrating that something may be true for you, and even 99% of the population are weak arguments.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 1:46 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Roboto wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Quote:

Sample size of one.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Licenses are all well and good, but so long as ammunition is readily available and purchasable by pretty much anyone, they're not really going to help much.

allow Gun Jesus to illustrate.

What if you had to show your license to buy ammunition?

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 1:47 pm

It wasn't so much an argument as a flippant illustration of how idiotic it is to think that theres a causative relationship between playing video games/being on the internet/having access to guns and violence.

Sweetleaf wrote:
What if you had to show your license to buy ammunition?

That's the primary use of it here.

Roboto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2019, 1:54 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
It wasn't so much an argument as a flippant illustration of how idiotic it is to think that theres a causative relationship between playing video games/being on the internet/having access to guns and violence.

Considering that less than .000000001% of the world’s population are mass murders I wouldn’t consider those who reject your reasoning as idiotic. Sample size of your hypothesis is way too small to have any validity scientifically.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 2:12 pm

Roboto wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Considering that less than .000000001% of the world’s population are mass murders I wouldn’t consider those who reject your reasoning as idiotic. Sample size of your hypothesis is way too small to have any validity scientifically.

"considering that only a miniscule fraction of people are mass murderers, and the people fitting the bill off "has guns/plays video games/is on the internet" numbers in the millions, I can't rule out the hypothesis that this constellation of pasttimes causes violence because the sample size of mass murderers is too small."

Is this what you're saying? Because that makes absoutely no sense.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 2:18 pm

No one will need to fabricate firearms because of all the ones already in circulation, and the same goes for ammo. I have some 7.92mm Mauser ammo that was manufactured in the early 1940's and it's still nice and shiny and it still goes bang. Thanks to anti-gun politicians and the media giving free advertisements to the gun industry, especially in the past ten years, gun and ammo sales have been off the charts. The scary AR-15 is now the most popular long arm in the USA. Good luck seeing those even close to gone.

Licensing; all that does is give the authorities a tool to use to confiscate someones belongings (guns) over the most petty of excuses.
"Joe Shmoe said something hateful on twitter (said he voted for Trump, doesn't recycle, wants to built the wall, etc..) and he shows up as having a gun licence. He's obviously unhinged and dangerous so we gotta confiscate his guns!!"

I don't really have the time or the inclination to get bogged down in this. You new people just copy and paste gunz-r-bad into the search window in the upper right corner and read all the threads where this issue has been hashed out over all the years I've been on WP (since the Neolithic age). Good luck finding one instance where the anti-gun people here have brought anything valid to the table. This debate has been won so many times there's no need to keep rehashing it. I intentionally added "gunz-r-bad" to each of those threads not so much to make fun of the childish rhetoric of the anti-gunners, but mostly to aid in future searches.
Enjoy :D

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 3:23 pm

I would say that one of the factors why mass shootings happen is the accessibility to guns.
And of course, living in a country where guns are freely available is going to increase the risk considerably.

I also think that the correlation between violent computer games and mass shootings is again another factor.
How significant this factor is, again, i do not know.

Without being able to do a thorough analysis of the perpetrators of such crimes, i think it is hard to really understand the true nature of such crimes.

I do suspect however that over the past 20 years, there have been a high number of the mass shootings that appear to be politically motivated, with a number of these shootings being performed by people who come from a white supremacist background.

If this information is true, then it would appear that holding white supremacist beliefs would also be a factor as the cause of these shootings. But again, without a thorough analysis of the facts, i would say that it would be hard to really gain a deep understanding of the nature of these terrible events.

I am a little bit suspicious of people such as Steve Bannon of Chambridge Analytica, who is also the ex-strategist to President Trump, who is also presently funding far right political activists to start political careers.

I would not be surprised to hear that this man is behind a number of these events, so that he and his political allies can then use these events to their advantage in politics, perhaps even to start a 3rd world war.

Creating many small events that accumulate and are used by the propagandists to slowly agitate and then manipulate the public while being designed to ultimately cause a big global race hate war where the race supremacists can take over and enforce their bigoted hierarchy on the world while ruling like Gods.

The Helter Skelter strategy that Charles Manson tried on all those years in the 60s, although, he was likely
programmed to do so by one of his showbiz buddies frequenting the Process Church of the Final Judgement...

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 7:48 am

Computer games aren't mentioned in the constitution, though. And since they will never be able to successfully ban guns, they have to try something. I don't think either would work anyway. Somewhere along the line it has been introduced or communicated that life is not sacred.

Also, the gun bearing/owning citizens of the US know that it's impossible to get every gun. A lot of guns may have been registered at the time of purchase, but many have secretly changed hands many time since. The guns can't all be found and we know that. So, we'll be thinking, " I know X has a weapon no one will ever find, so I'm not giving up my weapon."

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Roboto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2019, 1:14 pm

The only solution is to make crappy parenting illegal since that's what all this really boils down to.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 1:32 pm

I say BAN BOTH...for a fixed period and see which works best.