Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 1:32 pm

I say BAN BOTH...for a fixed period and see which works best.

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 1:48 pm

It seems like there must have been studies done by now on these shooters. Is there any common denominator? We all argue about guns,video games,racism, politics etc. but it seems like we haven’t found anything consistent.

Roboto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2019, 4:24 pm

wowiexist wrote:
It seems like there must have been studies done by now on these shooters. Is there any common denominator? We all argue about guns,video games,racism, politics etc. but it seems like we haven’t found anything consistent.

They all had crappy parents. :)

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 8:08 pm

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 2:51 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Or maybe make gun licenses mandatory. You have to have a drivers license to drive..and vehicles just have the risk of killing people they aren't designed specifically for it but you still have to have a license..yet anyone can just walk into a store and buy a gun.

Shall we have a freedom of speech license?, 5th amendment license? 4th amendment license? Sorry mama but your 4th amendment license expired so we don’t need a warrant nor do you get due process, straight to prison for you.
Driving isn’t a right.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 2:59 pm

Roboto wrote:
Borromeo wrote:
I think the topic's rather dumb. Few people would suggest banning computer games would solve this. Violent gaming is only a fragment of a violent culture, one which does not see value in human life.

Pregnant? It's a choice now. Teenage kid makes a bad decision? Threaten to disown him/her. Bang-buddies not working out? Go and plow someone else. Married, wife sick? Divorce, alimony. Old relative? Euthanasia. Got dissed on the street by the homies from the other side? Drive-by shooting. Hate some group of people for race? Vote Republican and go kill them. Hate a group of lawmakers? Vote Democratic & shoot them while they're playing baseball.

Then moan about it all on social media.

Sorry not sorry.

Incidentally, considering how many people ARE armed & dangerous, I am not giving up fire-arms at all. There will have to be a cultural change across the nation.

And perhaps, by the time that culture DOES change, people will not be committing mass murders, and fire-arms will be no bother. Who can say? (Although I'm not very hopeful, at the moment.)

Bingo.

I agree, too many people worried about their own views without any regard for what matters to the other side. Where does it end? Everyone seems to think fighting is the best way to get peace even though reality is that fighting for peace is like drinking until you are sober

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 3:17 pm

This again?

I heard that Walmart in the states (I'm no longer referring it as the US or the *United* States) has guns and weapons on display right next to children's bicycles and toys. But no, they have to get rid of video games on display because *they're* too dangerous and evil. :roll:

It's a fetish. That's what it is in the states. A ammosexual gun fetish.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 3:36 pm

I own guns and it is not a sexual fetish. They are simply part of life in this particular state. I've never shot anyone with them nor have I ever had the desire to go on a raid or massacre people. Even terrorists.

What is bad is the glamorization of guns. Hand a gun to someone who is an old-fashioned sportsman and he will probably check to see if it is empty, shoulder it (shotguns here, not handguns) and comment on how it "swings." Hand the same shotgun to a "greenhorn" adolescent who has never done anything other than played air-soft guns or posted edgy memes on 4chan about shooting the ret*d kids at school, and he'll comment on how great it would be for close-quarters.

We get Guns & Ammo Magazine here at home and the readers of that publication are starting to complain in Letters to the Editor about all the idiotic advertisements that make everything seem like preparation for some tactical raid. The tactical culture makes going to the grocers' as involved as liberating Fallujah single-handedly.

In the meantime my 115-year-old Remington double-barrel and my high-powered repeating rifle (old pump-action kind, not automatic. Holds five shots) are going to stay in one spot, unless I am going to do some target practice, clean the rust off them, or (hopefully not) scare away a burglar. But around here burglars are the shy & silent type; I've never been robbed at home.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 5:32 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
This again?

I heard that Walmart in the states (I'm no longer referring it as the US or the *United* States) has guns and weapons on display right next to children's bicycles and toys. But no, they have to get rid of video games on display because *they're* too dangerous and evil. :roll:

It's a fetish. That's what it is in the states. A ammosexual gun fetish.

That’s not true. The guns are in sporting goods and outdoors area. People in the USA hunt hunting is outdoors and sport. As is target shooting so it’s right there with camping and fishing supplies. Toys is next to sporting goods and electronics and shoes.
The bikes are located near the west house door for ease of access. There’s camping and fishing between toys and guns.

It’s not a fetish anymore then knitting is or any other hobby or interest. People seem to use fetish to mean anything they don’t enjou doing. Gaming is a fetish people say. :roll:

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 5:34 pm

Borromeo wrote:
I own guns and it is not a sexual fetish. They are simply part of life in this particular state. I've never shot anyone with them nor have I ever had the desire to go on a raid or massacre people. Even terrorists.

What is bad is the glamorization of guns. Hand a gun to someone who is an old-fashioned sportsman and he will probably check to see if it is empty, shoulder it (shotguns here, not handguns) and comment on how it "swings." Hand the same shotgun to a "greenhorn" adolescent who has never done anything other than played air-soft guns or posted edgy memes on 4chan about shooting the ret*d kids at school, and he'll comment on how great it would be for close-quarters.

We get Guns & Ammo Magazine here at home and the readers of that publication are starting to complain in Letters to the Editor about all the idiotic advertisements that make everything seem like preparation for some tactical raid. The tactical culture makes going to the grocers' as involved as liberating Fallujah single-handedly.

In the meantime my 115-year-old Remington double-barrel and my high-powered repeating rifle (old pump-action kind, not automatic. Holds five shots) are going to stay in one spot, unless I am going to do some target practice, clean the rust off them, or (hopefully not) scare away a burglar. But around here burglars are the shy & silent type; I've never been robbed at home.

We should ban break action shotguns and bolt action guns.

How’s it feel to be targeted?
I like my simi auto rifles and handguns. We either stand united to divided we fall. They won’t stop at modern guns.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 6:12 pm

sly279 wrote:
Borromeo wrote:

We should ban break action shotguns and bolt action guns.

How’s it feel to be targeted?
I like my simi auto rifles and handguns. We either stand united to divided we fall. They won’t stop at modern guns.

I "stick to my guns" and plan to pick up a few good revolvers when I can do so legally. But your argument, based on assumptions, is only going to fuel those members of WP who think we conservatives wouldn't know a coherent argument if it kicked us in the twopenny bits.

None of us Republicans and gun owners can afford to make ourselves look ridiculous when there are the depraved and the desperate out there who would seek to use patriotism as an excuse for nationalism. Try not to do it.

I also stand by what I said about their glamorization. I have seen enough ammunition manufacturers glorifying "critical defense knockdown power" in the making of pistol cartridges to worry that a good number of gun buyers do so with no intent other than shooting their fellow man. It is a sort of bluffing bravado that vitiates one's manly character. Granted, a load of No. 8 small shot from the aforementioned double-barrel will do most anything needed in a home-defense incident, but I would feel much less a man if I were to buy cartridges specifically marketed for shooting people.

(No offense meant, just clarifying something. We've got to stick together, fellow gun guy, and all those who are suspect of guns & gun culture too. It's not just about the Second Amendment, it's about the Constitution. What semi-auto stuff have you found you like? AR or AK? Or something completely different? I've shot a double-stacked FN pistol, silenced with a 30-round magazine. Ugliest gun I've ever fired--looked like something from a third-rate action movie--but it certainly was accurate and easy to manage. Very little recoil, too.)

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 11:31 pm

If I have to shoot someone I want the best round to do so. Most people buy hollow points and never use them except at range, that’s why they market them as best. I carry critical duty ammo in all my carry guns.
If I do need to defend myself I want good ammo that will stop the bad person whicu more then likely means killing them unfortunately but they the one out trying to kill others not me.

I’ve got bunch of pistols, ar15, 9mm carbine, ska. Never owned a revolver. Only 3 of my guns aren’t simi auto.

You ahoy the fn five seven, names for its ammo, 5.7x28, it was designed for their personal defense weapon the p90. I don’t like it as for a pistol it has a wide grip much like 357 mag pistols. It’s crazy expensive much like other FN guns. I’m not paying over $1,000 for a handgun.

I’m all about modern(tactical) firearms. Not so much into old guns like lever action or revolvers. I like old ww1/2 guns.

Your post came off as
Darn kids with their tactical simi autos, all anyone needs is a revolver.
To which I see from old republicans and they aren’t pro 2a. Same ones were like “aspies shouldn’t have guns”
They’re pro their guns. There a lot of them in gun community sadly.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 1:41 am

"Tactical" is the in thing and has been for several years and will continue to be for a while. If G&A has tactical articles and advertises tactical arms, ammo, and accessories it's because that's what the majority of their subscribers demand.

A little while back when I had range officer duty one weekend day some old guy shows up and says he's here from out of state visiting family for a while and was looking for someplace to take his grand kids shooting. He didnt come to shoot that day. I told him they'd be welcome to come out and shoot as non-members. I asked him what he planned to shoot since we have various separate ranges for different types of shooting. He said he had a few old .22 rifles and told me a little about them. I'm somewhat of a connoisseur of vintage .22's, among other firearm types, and I can't think of a better platform for teaching kids gun safety and basic marksman ship than a .22 rifle. He goes off to look around the place and comes back to me a few minutes later.
"I'm really surprised and disappointed that you let this kind of thing go on here", he said
I just ignored him but the old fossil persisted. I pretty much knew what he was talking about, having dealt with anti-gun/gun owners before.
"Aren't you going to answer my question?" has asked impatiently.
I knew where this was going, and in my mind I'd already dismissively tossed his ass in the toilet and flushed. I have no use for his kind and would much rather they stay out of our ranges.
I turned to him. My whole demeanor intentionally stunk with disrespect.
"That wasn't posed as a question, and even if it was I still wouldn't know what kinda bug is up your ass since all you said is this kind of thing like I can read your mind or whatever." I said in a tone dripping with mocking condescension.
"These goddamn assault weapons, and and and those those human silhouette targets!", he stammered angrily, and added, "All this does is give the anti gun people and excuse to take ALL of our guns!"
Yes, he actually said that. :roll:
"What, you attend their f*****g meetings or something?", I snorted contemptuously.

He was actually shaking with rage by now and started to say something, maybe a threat, but I cut him off. "Look pops, why don't you just have a nice safe little tea party for your grandpups instead and alleviate all the risks of being around all these naughty people with their big bad assault weapons, okay?"
He wasn't just red now, he was turning purple. Literally the color purple is what his face was.
"I'm going to find out who your bosses are and report you, you bastard!!" he shrieked.
"Well go on ahead, then. This is a private club, not a commercial range, and the RO's here are all volunteers. The club needs us more than we need them, but the club doesnt need the likes of you".
I blew him a taunting kiss and shoo'd him off with a dismissive wave.
It was then that I knew for sure that he didnt have a gun with him or he would have emptied it at me.

The shooters that overheard that little exchange applauded me.
I asked if any of them had video'd it since it would be awesome entertainment for my Youtube channel but no one had.
The title would have been:
"Anti-gun/gun owner gets totally pwn3d by a range officer"
:P

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 2:03 am

Just a thought: how old does a gun design have to be to be considered "vintage" or old-fashioned? Because the armalite design has been around for half a Century by now and is still the archetypical "modern black evil rifle shooting 6000 shots per second from an infinite magazine clip (and god help us all if it has the shoulder thing that goes up)".

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 2:38 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Just a thought: how old does a gun design have to be to be considered "vintage" or old-fashioned? Because the armalite design has been around for half a Century by now and is still the archetypical "modern black evil rifle shooting 6000 shots per second from an infinite magazine clip (and god help us all if it has the shoulder thing that goes up)".

The original non-civilian AR-10 (7.62 NATO) and AR-15 (5.56 NATO) came out in the mid 50's. The civilian legal semi auto AR-15 came on the market in 1963-64.

I used the term "vintage" in this case to indicate older .22's. The .22's of mine that I consider to be "vintage" have been dated by serial number from 1939 to 1973. The oldest gun I have is a 1904 dated Carl Gustav M96 and it is still a serviceable and very accurate rifle. One of my favorite things about my Busmaster M4 and other tacticool firearms I have is that the progressives hate them.......and me. :P

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 3:33 am

Raptor wrote:
The oldest gun I have is a 1904 dated Carl Gustav M96 and it is still a serviceable and very accurate rifle.

Made in my home town. :)

Shame about our weird laws about military semi-autos, or I'd probably see about getting a Ljungman AG/42. Direct gas impingement gun in 6.5 Swedish. Would probably break my thumb loading it, though. Also kind of wish there was a carbine version.

And sure, I get what you mean when you say vintage. My point was that there's a weird divide in the eyes of non-gun people where old-timey guns are okay but modern ones are evil and dangerous, but the window for what is and isn't seen as modern doesn't seem to move.