Trump orders FBI to target blacks and environmentalists

Page 3 of 31 [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 9:16 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Making up for racism has nothing to do with guilt for things that had been done before we were ever born, but because it's the right thing to do.

A therapist would disagree.

And he/she would be wrong.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 10:16 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Making up for racism has nothing to do with guilt for things that had been done before we were ever born, but because it's the right thing to do.

How do we make amends with the millions of historically oppressed minorities like Elizabeth Warren?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 10:42 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

How do we make amends with the millions of historically oppressed minorities like Elizabeth Warren?

Hardy-har-har.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 10:42 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Really? You are qualified to rewrite the therapeutic idea that I am responsible for my actions only, not the actions of others? You must be pretty powerful.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 10:51 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Really? You are qualified to rewrite the therapeutic idea that I am responsible for my actions only, not the actions of others? You must be pretty powerful.

No, I'm just talking about what I view as personally right.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 10:53 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

You should put out a shingle, I'm sure you'll have some takers.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 11:00 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

You conservatives really are masters of framing things. You managed to reframe a discussion about righting historical wrongs that continue to have pernicious effects today into one about individualism and personal responsibility.

Let's unpack this for a minute. It's pretty well documented that historical bias and racism are responsible for the current disparity. For example, the Federal Housing Administration from the 1930s to the 1960s, extended home loans almost exclusively to white people, as they would only issue loans to "whites only neighborhoods". This allowed white people to accumulate wealth over time in their homes, something that was denied to black people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_H ... nistration

This and many other institutions created the kind of disparity we see today. It effectively redistributed resources from black to white people.

So before I continue, do you believe this historical context is completely irrelevant? If no, then how relevant do you believe it to be, and how does that influence your analysis of the situation?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 11:06 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

And it gets votes. "I'll get all those n*****s voting democrat for the next 200 years" - Lyndon B. Johnson.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 1:18 am

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

And it gets votes. "I'll get all those n*****s voting democrat for the next 200 years" - Lyndon B. Johnson.

I'll put Johnson's actions above his rhetoric, especially concerning civil rights.
The thing I've noticed about cynicism among conservatives is that they can't imagine anyone else being sincere in their political actions, expecting everyone to be playing some angle just like them.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 1:20 am

Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

You should put out a shingle, I'm sure you'll have some takers.

I'll stick to writing fiction.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 2:04 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I'll put Johnson's actions above his rhetoric, especially concerning civil rights.
The thing I've noticed about cynicism among conservatives is that they can't imagine anyone else being sincere in their political actions, expecting everyone to be playing some angle just like them.

I am cynical sans affiliation. I do not necessarily think everyone's actions are disingenuous on an individual basis, but I believe as far as the whole enchilada goes there are a lot of ulterior motives.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 4:48 am

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I am cynical sans affiliation. I do not necessarily think everyone's actions are disingenuous on an individual basis, but I believe as far as the whole enchilada goes there are a lot of ulterior motives.

So even if there was some ulterior motive behind giving millions of people the vote, and guaranteeing their civil rights, that makes the end result bad?

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 5:13 am

beneficii wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

You conservatives really are masters of framing things. You managed to reframe a discussion about righting historical wrongs that continue to have pernicious effects today into one about individualism and personal responsibility.

Let's unpack this for a minute. It's pretty well documented that historical bias and racism are responsible for the current disparity. For example, the Federal Housing Administration from the 1930s to the 1960s, extended home loans almost exclusively to white people, as they would only issue loans to "whites only neighborhoods". This allowed white people to accumulate wealth over time in their homes, something that was denied to black people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_H ... nistration

This and many other institutions created the kind of disparity we see today. It effectively redistributed resources from black to white people.

So before I continue, do you believe this historical context is completely irrelevant? If no, then how relevant do you believe it to be, and how does that influence your analysis of the situation?

I addressed this, I asked Cyberdad specifically what would put this right? He said, 'interracial marrying.' I said what if these individuals don't want to marry whites? He never got back to me.

I also addressed what causes this today, not in the 1930s? The easy answer is skin color, that's what you'll say. But, I think it applies to behavior. Behavior is not necessarily race/skin color specific. It has been known to accompany socio-economic status. I'll outline my experiences living next to poor whites, what we in the South term 'red necks.' They seem never to have been taught to take care of things. After a few years, a once nice house looks like hell. Screaming, drunken and loud parties, cops, CPS involvement, filth, and on the list goes. The laws protect these people. Once they get in, it takes a lot of time and money to get them out. That often means no rent, court costs and destruction of property. I remember a man who was hired to clean out a rental property telling my husband that he had to clean out the fridge because the tenants s**t in the crisper. Nice, right? But, I can just see you saying, "well, the landlord should take one for the team to help his fellow man."

More and more there's discrimination based on behavior. Because if they don't, the laws that protect the renter harm the landlord. People who can and do invest a down payment tend to respect their property, if there is no personal financial investment, why else would they care?

You seem hung up on the past, this is happening today.

What are your suggestions for this dilemma? Mine is behavioral therapy... but if that's suggested, someone's gonna scream racism. When in reality, bad behavior crosses all races. There's more than one reason why the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor. The rich realize a bad investment and the poor seem unwilling to change. But, it's easier to refuse any personal responsibility and make it all about skin color. This is soon to be 2020.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 5:26 am

"behavioral therapy" won't cure low iq or general brain addlement. it won't even ameliorate it. those of us with defective wiring are gonna keep on struggling, and it is up to the larger society to let us struggle, accomodate us, or kill us off either by malignant neglect or worse.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 6:50 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

So even if there was some ulterior motive behind giving millions of people the vote, and guaranteeing their civil rights, that makes the end result bad?

It shows that there are ulterior motives in the the civil rights agenda as a whole, including presently, put forth by wealthy white democrat politicians. Mainly that it needs to perpetrated to maintain that advantage. In other words racism needs to continue as a major problem.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 7:05 am

auntblabby wrote:
"behavioral therapy" won't cure low iq or general brain addlement. it won't even ameliorate it. those of us with defective wiring are gonna keep on struggling, and it is up to the larger society to let us struggle, accomodate us, or kill us off either by malignant neglect or worse.

I don't think I suggested neglecting the disabled. My argument is about the behavior that often accompanies the poor. And poor doesn't have a race... I'm here because society says I have defective wiring too.

It is not a rational argument to suggest that the solution to discrimination in housing is to charge some a $35,000 down payment to live in a middle class neighborhood, while charging nothing to someone else who has the very real potential to disregard the gift and destroy the property (decreasing the value of the investment of the paying person ).Do I think all lower socio-economic individuals will do that? No. But, who decides which one is worth the risk? And we are back to more discrimination. Discrimination against who has to pay, discrimination against who doesn't and discrimination against who is or is not worth the risk.

In 2020, if you take the minimum down payment into a bank and you have stable employment and finances, you can live anywhere you want to. That's how it's supposed to work. And I will take a clean, quiet person of color over a white trash nut as a neighbor, any day. But somehow I don't get the feeling that's what is being suggested here. I get the feeling that what's being suggested is that everything everyone else has worked all their lives for should be given, upfront to people who haven't, because of guilt for 1930. Guilt has no place in business, if it does, it's not business. Nobody can operate that way and stay solvent...

Some of the arguments on here don't make sense to me. I deal in logical terms and likely outcomes, based on real life experiences. I don't get it when someone says, 'put so-in-so in such-and-such neighborhood and all will be right with the world.' My response is always going to be, 'does so-in-so have a job? does so-in-so meet the financial requirements?' And if the answer is "no," my next question is going to be, ' okay, well how is this going to work then?' Because those are the questions I ask of myself... We just recently had to replace our kitchen, it was 34 years old. I'd been wanting to replace it for years, but we didn't have the money. I did not take out a home improvement loan, because then I'd have to worry about having to try and afford another payment. That was not wise, given my current financial circumstance. This past Spring, we had a leak in our slab that ruined the cabinets, our home owners insurance covered it. I replaced the kitchen when I could afford to do so. Money + want/need = cabinets, No money + want/need = no cabinets.