Why are Police getting away with killing peoples pets?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

StayFrosty
Raven
Raven

20 Aug 2019, 1:06 am

I hear numerous incidents of the Police killing people's pets and getting away with it. And multiple times it's the officer being at the wrong address. Whoever is doing the intel needs to be fired from their job. What do you think of this?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 6:06 am

Why are pet owners getting away with letting their pets run loose and attack people?

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 7:49 am

I am pro-law enforcement. However, if a cop comes onto my property and shoots my pet, that's another matter. We are free from unreasonable/unlawful search and seizure. If my dog is contained and a cop shoots him, he's taken something away from me. Dogs/pets are very often the only family members a person has, they should be given the same status as a family member.
We awards dogs medals, as soldiers/veterans. Police dogs are viewed as officers and attacking them is assault on an officer. When is shooting a pet going to be viewed as police brutality and murder?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 7:53 am

Persephone29 wrote:
... When is shooting a pet going to be viewed as police brutality and murder?
1. When pets are granted the same rights as people.

2. When a police officer actually shoots a contained and restrained pet without justifiable cause.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 10:08 am

Fnord wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

2. When a police officer actually shoots a contained and restrained pet without justifiable cause.

If a pet is in a yard, it's contained.

A service dog is an extension of a disabled persons environment, sometimes the ONLY means the disabled person has of accessing their environment. By killing that dog, they are effectively killing the disabled person's abilities. How is one dog more valuable to one person, but less valuable to another?

If a cop charges into a yard and kills a dog in pursuit of a criminal, when the dog wasn't doing a damn thing, the cop is in the wrong. That dog belongs to a family.

It's already happened. Cops have shot dogs in yards (not roaming around), for doing what dogs do: protecting those they love.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 11:05 am

Persephone29 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

Not unless the yard is fenced in. There is not containment without a physical barrier -- imaginary boundary lines don't count. There is also no restraint without physical restraint.
Persephone29 wrote:
If a cop charges into a yard and kills a dog in pursuit of a criminal, when the dog wasn't doing a damn thing, the cop is in the wrong.
If the dog charges the cop, especially if it lunges at the cop with teeth bared, then the cop is justified in shooting the dog.
Persephone29 wrote:
Cops have shot dogs in yards (not roaming around), for doing what dogs do: protecting those they love.
Cops have shot dogs for attacking the cops. Cops have shot people for attacking cops.

If a cop steps into your yard, and you attack him, then the cop can shoot you in self-defense. True, he will likely be put on administrative duty and/or lose his job, but how can a person's dog be more valuable than the person?

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 11:57 am

Fnord wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

Not unless the yard is fenced in. There is not containment without a physical barrier -- imaginary boundary lines don't count. There is also no restraint without physical restraint.
Persephone29 wrote:
If a cop charges into a yard and kills a dog in pursuit of a criminal, when the dog wasn't doing a damn thing, the cop is in the wrong.
If the dog charges the cop, especially if it lunges at the cop with teeth bared, then the cop is justified in shooting the dog.
Persephone29 wrote:
Cops have shot dogs in yards (not roaming around), for doing what dogs do: protecting those they love.

I meant a fenced in yard, I'm sorry if I did not say that. That's the only way I know of to contain a dog in a yard. I guess there are people who chain them, but that never seemed humane to me.

I guess I see dogs as family, or people. If they aren't viewed that way, they should be. And why don't dogs at least get the same consideration as the unarmed man gets ( media and horror stories aside ). A good cop will at least try to wound a man who isn't armed. Granted, dogs have teeth, but they could at least try and shoot them in the leg. Poor dogs.... humans don't deserve them. Maybe I ever consider dogs as better than humans, honestly. Everything you get from a dog is honest...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 1:54 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
… why don't dogs at least get the same consideration as the unarmed man gets (media and horror stories aside). A good cop will at least try to wound a man who isn't armed...
No … a good cop will try to de-escalate the situation through negotiation first, but if he/she sees a weapon, the response is to shoot for the center of mass -- the chest and abdomen -- in order to neutralize the armed threat to the cop and nearby people.

Dogs don't negotiate, and their center of mass is mostly hidden behind their heads when attacking.

I understand your feelings. Try to understand mine. I still bear scars on my face and arms from when I was attacked by a boxer dog at the age of 2 (~60 years ago). How much of a threat was I to a 40-45kg dog? Not much. Dogs will attack people for just making eye contact with them. My sympathies are with anyone -- cop or civilian -- who has to endure the agony of being mauled by a dog; especially if they end up scarred for life.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 2:51 pm

gangs use pit bulls (ghetto elk)to guard there stash from potential attacking gang members.Because robberies are common among rival gang members.
when cops raid a drug house the ghetto elk will attack the cops like there trained to do and the cops shoot the dogs to prevent being mauled

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 2:56 pm

StayFrosty wrote:
I hear numerous incidents of the Police killing people's pets and getting away with it. And multiple times it's the officer being at the wrong address. Whoever is doing the intel needs to be fired from their job. What do you think of this?

I think its an embarrassment, I even saw a story on a woman getting killed because a cop tried to shoot her dog and missed.

I mean if there is established reason to believe there are attack dogs present then I suppose shooting them should be on the table, but not just because a dog runs up when they come up onto someones property.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 4:22 pm

If a dog is in "attack mode," especially if the dog is a breed like a Doberman, it is a "deadly weapon" all by itself.

A person in that situation has to defend him/her self. It would be nice if a person could have non-lethal methods of restraint on hand----but this doesn't happen in real life.

Unfortunately, it's rather a "kill or be killed" sort of situation.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 5:17 pm

I personally know of at least one case in which cops killed pets who were clearly harmless. Decades ago, when two people I once knew were arrested in their home, the cops dropped cigarette butts into fish tanks, killing their tropical fish.

- Finally diagnosed with ASD in May 2019, after having suspected it for over ten years, and after having deeply explored the autism community for over one year while waiting for and obtaining diagnosis.
- In longterm relationship with boyfriend who was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in 2001.
- Long history of participation in various oddball subcultures.
- My "Getting to know each other" thread: Hello from NYC.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 5:20 pm

I don’t agree with killing a dog if he/she is not in “attack” mode.

Cops could really be scumbags sometimes.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 6:33 pm

Of course we also need to have a lot fewer raids on people's homes in the first place. This is one of the reasons why we need drug law reform.

- Finally diagnosed with ASD in May 2019, after having suspected it for over ten years, and after having deeply explored the autism community for over one year while waiting for and obtaining diagnosis.
- In longterm relationship with boyfriend who was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in 2001.
- Long history of participation in various oddball subcultures.
- My "Getting to know each other" thread: Hello from NYC.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 6:50 pm

So that's who killed my gold fish when i was 6, and my mum told me it died of natural causes....
and i have been feeling bad for my entire life thinking that it was my fault for not feeding it...
Those police men, they should be put in prison. Gold fish prison! For Gold Fish murder!

Now, only joking. Hope i don't offend anyone with my off humour.

Seriously, i have a 15 year old niece, who used to adore all dogs, up until the point where one of her little
child buddies had to go to hospital when her pet dog attacked her, she ended up having 20 stitchers in her forehead.
Which will scar for life. That was at the age of 8. Ever since my niece has gone off dogs apart from silly little ones.

Also, in the UK. Every year or two a toddler gets killed by a dog. Usually by the families own pet.
There is a trend some parts of the UK, where people think their tough, to buy dogs and train them to be aggressive.

Problem is, there are people in this world who like to hurt people, just for fun. Which is deplorable.
But still happens. I think that one "hilarious" (Said sarcastically) game is for some nasty person to use a dog whistle on the dog in order to incite rage in the dog.

This causes the dog which may otherwise be tame, but in some cases, aggressive, to go nuts and if done for long enough, the dog inevitably lashes out at who or what ever is in range. Unfortunately sometimes people's kids get attacked. Which is absolutely horrific.

But like i say, unfortunately some people like hurting even children. It is absolutely shameful on their part.
but how do you catch someone who uses a dog whistle?