I thought this was the Onion at first

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 2:18 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49323324

"A top US immigration official has revised a quote inscribed on the Statue of Liberty in defence of a new policy that denies food aid to legal migrants."

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2019, 3:12 pm

he's historically correct in saying:

"They certainly are," Mr Cuccinelli responded. "Give me your tired and your poor - who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge."

Immigrants coming through the neighboring island of Ellis had to prove they would not become a public burden, either by indicating the presence of relatives where they were headed, and/or having arrived with sufficient funds, and/or a job offer, and/or were healthy. (this was true at other US immigration facilities as well)

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 5:48 pm

I saw this on the news, just today.

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking all immigrants (myself included) not to become a burden on society. I've had these discussions before and feel I always must put in that I am not talking about the truly disabled. I believe in taking care of the disabled.

I'm referring to able bodied individuals.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 5:20 pm

If Trump's plan had been in effect from the beginning, few of us would be Americans today, as our ancestors often had been running from somewhere else. Few of such desperate people have much money.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2019, 3:43 am

All very convenient to close the doors now that "darkies" are the only ones wanting to migrate to America....of course nobody interrogated white refugees fleeing Europe in the past.

Elephant in the room is getting fatter and fatter....

alcockell
Raven
Raven

16 Aug 2019, 4:00 am

red_doghubb wrote:

"They certainly are," Mr Cuccinelli responded. "Give me your tired and your poor - who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge."

Immigrants coming through the neighboring island of Ellis had to prove they would not become a public burden, either by indicating the presence of relatives where they were headed, and/or having arrived with sufficient funds, and/or a job offer, and/or were healthy. (this was true at other US immigration facilities as well)

"All animals are equal but some are more equal than others..."

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2019, 10:18 pm

alcockell wrote:
red_doghubb wrote:

"All animals are equal but some are more equal than others..."

Especially Norwegians
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion ... story.html