Trump wants to deport people here for medical reasons.

Page 24 of 43 [ 683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 43  Next

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 5:18 pm

EzraS wrote:
I am willing to accept government assistance, but I certainly do not feel that it is owed to me or that I am entitled to it.

And if America is so neglectful of its needy, why am I being provided for? Or am I supposed to complain that I am not getting enough?

Well originally we were suppose to increase funding with inflation but they out stop to that so yes you should be upset you don’t get more when it’s not enough.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 5:55 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I'm a Lutheran, so trust me, I
have no illusions about how flawed human nature is. But I also know we're redeemed so we can be better.
Conservatives who saw such things as what happened at Kaiser Aluminum a mile away did nothing to stop it.

It seems like you tend to paint this picture of conservatives having all the wealth and power and liberals being downtrodden plebeians under their heel.

There are way too many CEOs and tycoons who are not conservative republicans for that to be true.

Just think of all the money George Soros wastes on pitting certain administrations against each other. He causes havoc all over the globe. He does not necessarily feel bad for the poor, but the poor en masse can be an effective battering ram.

How many poor could he have helped? Instead, he chooses chaos. And the Liberals are okay with it because if it works, they'll be in power forever.

You conservatives have bought into your own propaganda regarding Soros being some sort of global bogeyman, and yet you'll defend that shirtless Bond villain in the Kremlin who is actually a world wide threat.

Putin? I don't defend Putin. And I was simply pointing out that one of your own doesn't seem all that keen on sharing his wealth with the American worker. He does seem to share it in situations that can generate chaos, such as the Southern border.

The notion that Soros is responsible for what the right perceives as evil around the globe, such as poor, desperate people south of the border trying to escape violence and crime forming into caravans to reach America, is entirely fictitious. He's been turned into a bogeyman by the right in order to horrify their rank-and-file. There is zero evidence that Soros is the Jewish Fu Manchu, pulling the strings behind the scenes in a vast global conspiracy.

I'm guessing if he was a republican that would go unquestioned by you. Also my guess is outside of the fringe, liberals focus on him being Jewish more than conservatives. Probably to make criticisms against him appear antisemitic.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 6:33 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I'm a Lutheran, so trust me, I
have no illusions about how flawed human nature is. But I also know we're redeemed so we can be better.
Conservatives who saw such things as what happened at Kaiser Aluminum a mile away did nothing to stop it.

It seems like you tend to paint this picture of conservatives having all the wealth and power and liberals being downtrodden plebeians under their heel.

There are way too many CEOs and tycoons who are not conservative republicans for that to be true.

Just think of all the money George Soros wastes on pitting certain administrations against each other. He causes havoc all over the globe. He does not necessarily feel bad for the poor, but the poor en masse can be an effective battering ram.

How many poor could he have helped? Instead, he chooses chaos. And the Liberals are okay with it because if it works, they'll be in power forever.

You conservatives have bought into your own propaganda regarding Soros being some sort of global bogeyman, and yet you'll defend that shirtless Bond villain in the Kremlin who is actually a world wide threat.

Putin? I don't defend Putin. And I was simply pointing out that one of your own doesn't seem all that keen on sharing his wealth with the American worker. He does seem to share it in situations that can generate chaos, such as the Southern border.

The notion that Soros is responsible for what the right perceives as evil around the globe, such as poor, desperate people south of the border trying to escape violence and crime forming into caravans to reach America, is entirely fictitious. He's been turned into a bogeyman by the right in order to horrify their rank-and-file. There is zero evidence that Soros is the Jewish Fu Manchu, pulling the strings behind the scenes in a vast global conspiracy.

I'm guessing if he was a republican that would go unquestioned by you. Also my guess is outside of the fringe, liberals focus on him being Jewish more than conservatives. Probably to make criticisms against him appear antisemitic.

If there was no evidence to support a Republican George Soros up to global no good, then I wouldn't, unlike the Koch brothers of whose underhanded schemes are well documented.
If anything, conservatives either make Soros out to be a Pro-Nazi turncoat who hunted other Jews for Hitler, or imply that he's part of the Zionist conspiracy to rule the earth.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 7:27 pm

Quote:
I do not think that is an American philosophy. When someone starts out in life they are completely dependant. The need to be fed, bathed, dressed etc.

But the idea is that their parents/parent/ guardian et al is supposed to potty train them, to be able to relieve themselves by themselves instead of needing to have their diapers changed their whole lives.

Likewise they are taught to feed themselves, insted of someone putting food in their mouth for them, to bathe themselves, to dress themselves. To eventually get to school by themselves. Do their own homework. To look after themselves.

So life starts out with people being taught skills of self reliance and independence. And when they achieve all that, then they become parents and continue the cycle.

That is been how humankind has operated all over the world for thousands of years.

Now you can come up with a slew of what about this and what about that. What if the child is mentally and or physically incapable and so on. But in general and overall most of us were taught self reliance, individualism, personal responsibility, prudence, caution etc from the beginning.

Of course it has been that way for 1000s of years. You're using the fact and implying that just because something has been a certain way for 1000s of years that it should in fact continue to be that way. Most people for 1000s of years who were conceived died before they were born due to disease, malnutrition, etc. By your logic should we let that continue? Should we have developed vaccines, life saving medical techniques, better farming techniques, etc, etc?

You are comitting the fallacy of the is-ought problem. It was this way in the past and it is how it is now. Should it continue to be this way?

Besides, automation may be making it that in the future that less and less people will need to work for our "survival."

What makes America different is that our society not only embraces these things as truth but worships them as though they're religious and holy (metaphorically of course).

Anyway, I digress. What was part of humanity was as well most not being born was crop failures, floods, droughts and other natural disasters. Let's not forget diseases and wild animals as well. I'm sure the people for 1000s of years took their precautions with the knowledge that they had at the time but s**t still happened. People still got sick, flooded out, droughts happened in spite of all their precautions they took at the time.

Personal responsibility presumes that one has all of these choices and that if we have negative circumstances it was due to the choices one makes. There is some truth to this but what is different about American society is that it solely focuses on this. It presumes that choices are the end all be all of things. It makes it seem like we have all of this control over our lives when really our control is limited and there are circumstances outside of our conscience control that have heavy influence and sway.

The idea that our actions and choices absolutely are in absolute or even the vast majority control of our circumstances is stupid and foolish thinking. Our control over our lives is limited. No one is a god and no one is omniscient.

We live in a world of both choices and limits. <<<<<< This is a true fact of life. America concentrates on the choices part and discards the limits part.

I will say though, other societies in human history concentrate on the limits part and disregard the choices part. This is just as stupid and foolish as well.

I don't believe it is either/or. I believe people both have choices and limits some having more choices and limits then others. It's not so simple as conservatives make it out to be.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 7:45 pm

EzraS wrote:
I am willing to accept government assistance, but I certainly do not feel that it is owed to me or that I am entitled to it.

And if America is so neglectful of its needy, why am I being provided for? Or am I supposed to complain that I am not getting enough?

Conservatives say: If a sucker is dumb enough to offer it, then you're a fool not to take it.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 7:53 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
In reading the last few posts, I'm just stunned that anyone feels they can depend on anyone for anything. Maybe life has suggested to you that you can depend on others, life has not suggested that to me, at all. I'm definitely an autist, but I believe my upbringing compounded my isolation/self-reliance issues.

I don't believe anyone, except God and maybe my husband (even that can be circumstantial) will be there for me.

What I foresee is that nothing, even the most basic of human needs will be provided. When I plan for the future, I plan that no needs will be met by anyone but me. So, I do foresee every contingency, in that I see I need to meet every need.

If I don't have a place to live, I will be homeless.
If don't possess insurance and I get sick, I will die.
If I don't have money, I won't eat.

It really is very simple, for me at least. Maybe some will say, "I pity you. That's so sad." But, how is it really sad if it's all I've known? It could be sad if I'd known another way, I guess. Maybe if Voc Rehab comes through, I'll feel differently. I've applied, but I'm not holding my breath.

I really can't even believe what I am reading here. Are you sh*****g me right now? You foresee every contingency? Every single contingency? You've never had any major problems or s**t that went wrong in spite of your prudence, foresight, and planning? There was nothing that you never thought of? You are omniscient is what you are implying.

No one has that kind of foresight and knowledge. If we did we would be gods or God in the Holy Bible.

Why does the Bible say all this about the poor?

https://www.worldvision.org/christian-f ... ut-poverty

https://www.cgg.org/index.cfm/fuseactio ... verses.htm

It seems like the Bible has different things to say about the rich vs poor then what conservatives have to say.

Even the Bible says the rich are obligated to help the poor and do right by them and others are obligated to do right by the needy.

Another thing, our society claims to be a Christian society. This is to Ezra as well. How can we be a Christian society if our society worship money and money is our god?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 7:56 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Conservatives say: If a sucker is dumb enough to offer it, then you're a fool not to take it.

Additionally, that is why notable conservative Ron Paul was the biggest pork barrel spender in Congress.

He made the same argument, "Hey, I don't agree with it, but if they're that stupid, then I am getting the money".

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 7:57 pm

cyberdad wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
Henry Ford one could argue was a selfish business man and I think he was an anti-semite as well but the man still made to where his own employees could afford his products. They were paid a good amount of a wage so they would buy and reinvest their salary into his company. The man thought in a long term way. He was not altruistic in his business decisions but cared about his bottom line which was why he wanted his own employees to succeed and be prosperous. If they were prosperous then he was prosperous.

I think this in some ways is the one of the only virtues of a free market. Yes I am cognisant of how the business cycle requires prosperity and so the bottom line of nearly all big companies is linked to the spending power of the working class (unless of course your business portfolio is luxury cars, caviar and french wine).

However I will apply your very own words and caution there are limits to the "greed is good" ethos of big capital. I think supporters of conservative government practice "moral relativity" where they relieve their dissonance by rationalising the benefits of free market and pretend that screwing workers rights is a natural consequence of demand/supply in the labor market. I don't actually think Trump supporters believe in their hearts that he is really going to save them.

Oh, I agree with you. What I espoused was the Ayn Randian philosophy which I oppose. Point I was making is if they're to believe in this philosophy then don't be stupid about it as well. Don't be short sighted. Don't kill your golden goose which is what a lot of them do.

Point is they're greedy and irrational at the same time which Trump says "is a disaster."

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 7:59 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Quote:
I do not think that is an American philosophy. When someone starts out in life they are completely dependant. The need to be fed, bathed, dressed etc.

But the idea is that their parents/parent/ guardian et al is supposed to potty train them, to be able to relieve themselves by themselves instead of needing to have their diapers changed their whole lives.

Likewise they are taught to feed themselves, insted of someone putting food in their mouth for them, to bathe themselves, to dress themselves. To eventually get to school by themselves. Do their own homework. To look after themselves.

So life starts out with people being taught skills of self reliance and independence. And when they achieve all that, then they become parents and continue the cycle.

That is been how humankind has operated all over the world for thousands of years.

Now you can come up with a slew of what about this and what about that. What if the child is mentally and or physically incapable and so on. But in general and overall most of us were taught self reliance, individualism, personal responsibility, prudence, caution etc from the beginning.

Of course it has been that way for 1000s of years. You're using the fact and implying that just because something has been a certain way for 1000s of years that it should in fact continue to be that way. Most people for 1000s of years who were conceived died before they were born due to disease, malnutrition, etc. By your logic should we let that continue? Should we have developed vaccines, life saving medical techniques, better farming techniques, etc, etc?

You are comitting the fallacy of the is-ought problem. It was this way in the past and it is how it is now. Should it continue to be this way?

Besides, automation may be making it that in the future that less and less people will need to work for our "survival."

What makes America different is that our society not only embraces these things as truth but worships them as though they're religious and holy (metaphorically of course).

Anyway, I digress. What was part of humanity was as well most not being born was crop failures, floods, droughts and other natural disasters. Let's not forget diseases and wild animals as well. I'm sure the people for 1000s of years took their precautions with the knowledge that they had at the time but s**t still happened. People still got sick, flooded out, droughts happened in spite of all their precautions they took at the time.

Personal responsibility presumes that one has all of these choices and that if we have negative circumstances it was due to the choices one makes. There is some truth to this but what is different about American society is that it solely focuses on this. It presumes that choices are the end all be all of things. It makes it seem like we have all of this control over our lives when really our control is limited and there are circumstances outside of our conscience control that have heavy influence and sway.

The idea that our actions and choices absolutely are in absolute or even the vast majority control of our circumstances is stupid and foolish thinking. Our control over our lives is limited. No one is a god and no one is omniscient.

We live in a world of both choices and limits. <<<<<< This is a true fact of life. America concentrates on the choices part and discards the limits part.

I will say though, other societies in human history concentrate on the limits part and disregard the choices part. This is just as stupid and foolish as well.

I don't believe it is either/or. I believe people both have choices and limits some having more choices and limits then others. It's not so simple as conservatives make it out to be.

Like I have said before. With conservatives I see practicality. With liberals I see idealism.

And once again, what countermeasures to people from childhood being taught to look after themselves and look out for themselves do you propose?

Last edited by EzraS on 11 Sep 2019, 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 8:00 pm

There's nothing wrong with a lot of idealism----tempered by a considerable amount of practicality.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 8:17 pm

EzraS wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
Quote:

Like I have said before. With conservatives I see practicality. With liberals I see idealism.

I don't buy this. I see conservatives as being the idealists especially with the idea that anyone and everyone has choices, can always make the correct choices and one's circumstances is solely depended upon the choices one makes. They have this ideal that we're in control over our lives when that control is limited. Conservatives are in love this philosophy even when presented information that contradicts this.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 8:22 pm

EzraS wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
Quote:

And once again, what countermeasures to people from childhood being taught to look after themselves and look out for themselves do you propose?

I don't understand what you're asking. Your question seems fragmented.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 9:35 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
In reading the last few posts, I'm just stunned that anyone feels they can depend on anyone for anything. Maybe life has suggested to you that you can depend on others, life has not suggested that to me, at all. I'm definitely an autist, but I believe my upbringing compounded my isolation/self-reliance issues.

I don't believe anyone, except God and maybe my husband (even that can be circumstantial) will be there for me.

What I foresee is that nothing, even the most basic of human needs will be provided. When I plan for the future, I plan that no needs will be met by anyone but me. So, I do foresee every contingency, in that I see I need to meet every need.

It really is very simple, for me at least. Maybe some will say, "I pity you. That's so sad." But, how is it really sad if it's all I've known? It could be sad if I'd known another way, I guess. Maybe if Voc Rehab comes through, I'll feel differently. I've applied, but I'm not holding my breath.

I really can't even believe what I am reading here. Are you sh*****g me right now? You foresee every contingency? Every single contingency? You've never had any major problems or s**t that went wrong in spite of your prudence, foresight, and planning? There was nothing that you never thought of? You are omniscient is what you are implying.

No one has that kind of foresight and knowledge. If we did we would be gods or God in the Holy Bible.

It seems like the Bible has different things to say about the rich vs poor then what conservatives have to say.

Even the Bible says the rich are obligated to help the poor and do right by them and others are obligated to do right by the needy.

Another thing, our society claims to be a Christian society. This is to Ezra as well. How can we be a Christian society if our society worship money and money is our god?

I don't need to see every contingency if experience has taught me that help will not be there. My most basic needs were met as a child. I was given a bottle, my diaper was changed. But tears were not dried, comfort was not given. I cannot remember the bottle/diapers, but I'm alive and did not die of a flesh eating bacteria, so I have no choice but to assume those needs were met. I can remember learning early on that emotional needs would not be met. I self soothed. I would say that my ASD was compounded by the absence of emotional support.

When the s**t hits the fan and it always does, it's not necessary to know what said s**t is. It does not occur to me to ask for help, except from God. The help I have recently asked for through Voc Rehab was a suggestion I am grateful for, but do not expect anything to come of it.

I give to the less fortunate all the time. Just because I don't have the knee-jerk reaction to reach out doesn't mean that I can't understand how $5 to a person who has nothing might not be of some benefit to them. I do realize that if you have nothing and you want something, you need money. So, I give them some money.

Other than what I've written above, I'm not sure how I can better answer your question.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 9:35 pm

Back to the original post - - today senate Republicans denied there was any threat to foreigners receiving medical care at hearings today, till they heard from children and adults who would be sent home to their deaths, and administration representatives who refused to answer questions and pissed off even Republicans like Lindsey Graham. Yes, Trump wants to send dark skinned foreigners to their deaths rather than helping them, and some Republicans even overcame their moral cowardice to speak out against it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 9:39 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

I don't need to see every contingency if experience has taught me that help will not be there. My most basic needs were met as a child. I was given a bottle, my diaper was changed. But tears were not dried, comfort was not given. I cannot remember the bottle/diapers, but I'm alive and did not die of a flesh eating bacteria, so I have no choice but to assume those needs were met. I can remember learning early on that emotional needs would not be met. I self soothed. I would say that my ASD was compounded by the absence of emotional support.

When the s**t hits the fan and it always does, it's not necessary to know what said s**t is. It does not occur to me to ask for help, except from God. The help I have recently asked for through Voc Rehab was a suggestion I am grateful for, but do not expect anything to come of it.

I give to the less fortunate all the time. Just because I don't have the knee-jerk reaction to reach out doesn't mean that I can't understand how $5 to a person who has nothing might not be of some benefit to them. I do realize that if you have nothing and you want something, you need money. So, I give them some money.

Other than what I've written above, I'm not sure how I can better answer your question.

I'm sorry that you had such heartlessly terrible parents. No one should have to go unloved as a small child.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 9:57 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

I'm sorry that you had such heartlessly terrible parents. No one should have to go unloved as a small child.

Thank you. One was mentally ill, the other was gone. You get what you get.... I had a wise friend once say, "sometimes God gives the parent to the child and sometimes he gives the child to the parent." That helped me. He didn't give them to me, he gave me to them. And although small, I have made a difference in their lives.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.