Trump wants to deport people here for medical reasons.

Page 3 of 43 [ 683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 43  Next

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 2:51 am

EzraS wrote:
I have also heard of and seen growing numbers of Americans in distress.
The weeping and wailing over people from other countries is much louder. The cries of what they need is much louder. And it is mostly political grandstanding.

Fun (<- not) fact: this is not just an American problem; it happens in Northern Europe too, though at a slightly smaller scale (for now.)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 2:58 am

It’s a hallmark of the USA.

We bring in patients from other countries all the time. We are known for this.

I hope we continue providing this service.

Yes.....we have to help fellow Americans, too. We have to do a better job in this area, too.

I like our image as the “caretaker of the world.” Tough nuggies to those who don’t appreciate our largesse.

Trump is blowing it for the reputation of the US around the world.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 01 Sep 2019, 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 3:05 am

The money is there....just divert military spending

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 3:23 am

The way the world is today, we have to be very diligent about our security.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 8:01 am

Yes, it is shameful we don't look after our veterans. It is shameful that we allow people in our own country to live in poverty and on the streets.

It is also shameful to turn away strangers at our door step when we can help.

America has the resources to care for all its citizens and more. The distribution is out of kilter.

It is so easy to blame others for their misfortune.

I am happy to pay taxes because I have the luxury of having meaningful and sustainable work. I don't agree with how it is spent, but I recognize the need for taxes when there is a large infrastructure to maintain and improve and that distribution is determined by those in power. Whether the military gets funding or we fund healthcare for our veterans is not my individual choice. It is the choice of the entire collective of people, politicians, large corporations, and some extremely wealthy people with financial power.

One of the interesting questions brought up in this thread is why we, as a people, can get riled up about the terribly cruel action of deporting sick children but NOT about the rest of the poor and suffering in this country.

Yes, the politicians use it in one way of the other. But that is a separate problem for why the richest country in the world cannot provide for its own.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 9:13 am

We give them freedom to use drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, eat garbage food, get fat, blow their money on stupid stuff , neglect regular doctor visits, neglect educational opportunities, say "F YOU" to their employers, blow their money on gambling, be vagrants, be bums, drop out of society …

Freedom has consequences.

Do you suggest we take away their freedoms? Force them to live like you?

That's the Cocteau Plan from Demolition Man

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 12:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes.....we have to help fellow Americans, too. We have to do a better job in this area, too.

I like our image as the “caretaker of the world.” Tough nuggies to those who don’t appreciate our largesse.

*sweat drop*

First time I ever hear something like that about America; here it's mostly known for it's poor health care system when it comes to taking care of it's own citizens.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 1:43 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
We give them freedom to use drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, eat garbage food, get fat, blow their money on stupid stuff , neglect regular doctor visits, neglect educational opportunities, say "F YOU" to their employers, blow their money on gambling, be vagrants, be bums, drop out of society …

Freedom has consequences.

Do you suggest we take away their freedoms? Force them to live like you?

That's the Cocteau Plan from Demolition Man

Are you directing your post to me?

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 2:10 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

*sweat drop*

First time I ever hear something like that about America; here it's mostly known for it's poor health care system when it comes to taking care of it's own citizens.
america does for the most part have disfunctional health care. but often places like Boston childrens hospital or John Hopkins medical center will take children from poor countries who are in need of comprehensive treatment they cant get in there homeland

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 2:31 pm

EzraS wrote:
beneficii wrote:
EzraS wrote:
beneficii wrote:
EzraS wrote:
America seems plenty happy to take in immigrants from China, Japan and India. But they tend to enter via the legal process (Ellis Island style) and come here to start careers and become business owners.

If everyone in America was doing well that would be one thing. But there is already a lot of poverty. A lot of homeless. A lot of junkies. And all that is getting worse at this point in time. And it seems like those whos hearts are gushing blood over people from other countries, do not seem to weep much over the hardships of America's own citizens. Not politically advantageous enough I suppose.

Really? Have you been paying attention?

Don't be rude.

You started it.

You've heard of Medicare For All, right? You've heard of college loan forgiveness, right? Those are intended to help America's own citizens. Problems with our health care system and mounting student loan debt for many people have impacted many Americans and have hurt our economy.

So I don't want you to see you claim again that we "do not seem to weep much over the hardship of America's own citizens". That is a completely disingenuous statement, and rude as heck, and you know it.

When you said "Really? Have you been paying attention?" is sounded like a snarky accusation that I was not paying attention to this thread.
The weeping and wailing over people from other countries is much louder. The cries of what they need is much louder. And it is mostly political grandstanding.

The number of people coming to America for medical attention is a tiny percentage compared to Americans in medical need.
So, have you changed your opinion on universal medical coverage as you've expressed concern about Americans not getting the care they need? Do you now feel that all Americans should be able to get medical help as in every other industrial country?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 7:10 pm

blazingstar wrote:
"It is shameful that we allow people in our own country to live in poverty and on the streets"

Are you directing your post to me?[

Yes, you indicated it's a shame people have the freedom to ruin their lives.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 7:22 pm

That is not what I said. Please do not twist my meaning. I am not going to argue with you about what I meant.

Otoh, if you want to have a discussion with me, then by all means go ahead. :heart: :heart:

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 7:29 pm

blazingstar wrote:
That is not what I said. Please do not twist my meaning. I am not going to argue with you about what I meant.

Otoh, if you want to have a discussion with me, then by all means go ahead. :heart: :heart:

I see things from a freedom perspective.

Your accusation that "it's shameful" is an anti-freedom perspective, as it means something should have been done to STOP these people from ending up as derelicts. However, to STOP them, then you have to implement anti-freedom measures.

Like, ban these people from using drugs, or implement rent control (so they can afford an apartment) , require employers pay them a "living wage", or a hundred other anti-freedom measures.

I say you should be proud you live in a country that lets these people have the freedoms to become derelicts.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 7:37 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

I see things from a freedom perspective.

Your accusation that "it's shameful" is an anti-freedom perspective, as it means something should have been done to STOP these people from ending up as derelicts. However, to STOP them, then you have to implement anti-freedom measures.

Like, ban these people from using drugs, or implement rent control (so they can afford an apartment) , require employers pay them a "living wage", or a hundred other anti-freedom measures.

I say you should be proud you live in a country that lets these people have the freedoms to become derelicts.

Ok. Thank you for explaining. I will think about this and post again.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 8:00 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
beneficii wrote:
EzraS wrote:
beneficii wrote:
EzraS wrote:
America seems plenty happy to take in immigrants from China, Japan and India. But they tend to enter via the legal process (Ellis Island style) and come here to start careers and become business owners.

If everyone in America was doing well that would be one thing. But there is already a lot of poverty. A lot of homeless. A lot of junkies. And all that is getting worse at this point in time. And it seems like those whos hearts are gushing blood over people from other countries, do not seem to weep much over the hardships of America's own citizens. Not politically advantageous enough I suppose.

Really? Have you been paying attention?

Don't be rude.

You started it.

You've heard of Medicare For All, right? You've heard of college loan forgiveness, right? Those are intended to help America's own citizens. Problems with our health care system and mounting student loan debt for many people have impacted many Americans and have hurt our economy.

So I don't want you to see you claim again that we "do not seem to weep much over the hardship of America's own citizens". That is a completely disingenuous statement, and rude as heck, and you know it.

When you said "Really? Have you been paying attention?" is sounded like a snarky accusation that I was not paying attention to this thread.

The number of people coming to America for medical attention is a tiny percentage compared to Americans in medical need.
So, have you changed your opinion on universal medical coverage as you've expressed concern about Americans not getting the care they need? Do you now feel that all Americans should be able to get medical help as in every other industrial country?

Blame Democrats.

They're the ones telling us that America is spending a lot of money on health care, and not getting the same results.

This will help fix that.

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 01 Sep 2019, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 8:29 pm

What Vermont said is what I meant.

We are known for treating people from poor countries who have rare and serious diseases.