Story on bartering - any specific experiences?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 4:54 pm

Link to story: 'The Return of the Barter Economy, Swapping Eggs for Toilet Paper:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ilet-paper

Anybody experienced with bartering esp. during this pandemic? Any specific experiences of bartering - other than foods, and disinfecting products?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2020, 11:24 am

An old coworker was giving away a pair of winter tires that fit my car. They’re very old But brand new never used and appear to have been stored in such a way they haven’t dry rotted. I was going out that day to run all my errands anyways, so I offered him something in exchange for them. I picked up a pair of tires, he and his wife consumed some recreational substances that night. Win-win!

Another friend is making hot sauces and is down to barter for whatever. Haven’t settled on anything in particular, though. He did seem interested in my ability to connect him with some Ecuador cubensis spores, though.

Neighbours need some renovation work done in their garage. He can do most-all of it himself I’m sure, but my dad is going to frame and board the walls and I’m going to tape and finish them ready for paint. My trade is highly specialized - no one who doesn’t know how to do it likes to volunteer to do it because without years of experience the end result looks awful and they know it - hence people like me getting hired. This one’s not a barter per say, more of neighbourly repayment of the many times he’s mowed our front lawn and shovelled snow off our driveway.

Other than that I have a bunch of things I should give away/donate/barter or whatever but I may just ignore most of it and just bag up tons of extra clothing I never wear and donate it to a youth homeless shelter.