Ex-cop Amber Guyger is found guilty of murder

Page 2 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 9:07 am

vermontsavant wrote:
One of the reasons that she got convicted of murder instead of manslaughter was her unpopularity with the jury. Because she was having an affair with a married man, this made her look bad and that weighed heavily on whether or not the jury believed her testimony.
Oh, yes. The forensic evidence had nothing to do with her conviction. Neither did her confession on the witness stand. It was all about the fact that she was taking some other woman's baloney pony on a ride around the race track.

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 10:15 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
So let me get this straight: She parks on the wrong floor, then proceeds to the wrong floor of the building where she finds what she thinks is her own door unlocked, apparently without first trying to unlock it (because then she'd find it's the wrong key). Rather than calling this in and requesting backup like the police officer she's supposed to be, she draws her service weapon and proceeds into the apartment. Paying no attention to her surroundings (again, not her apartment) she discovers the supposed intruder menacingly eating ice cream in a couch that isn't hers and watching a TV that isn't hers. Naturally outraged by the temerity of this intruder bringing alien furniture into her home, she immediately responds with lethal force, and the proceeds to sext with her boyfriend/police partner instead of performing CPR. Oh, and she called 911 at some point.

the hell is wrong with people?

Can't wrap my head around any of this... one of the strangest killings I've ever heard about.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 10:27 am

The fact she is a police officer, she should have noticed the details; different floor mat, different apartment number. And just imagine how a regular person would react without a weapon, would they just assault? I am betting by their body language they would see the "intruder" is confused and they would see instantly they are in the wrong apartment because of the furniture. You go "oops sorry, wrong apartment" and you walk out and the person living inside it would think "huh, what the...?" and not even react because the person left so no threat.

I am sure everyone has walked to the wrong apartment thinking it was theirs and they notice when their key isn't working and they keep trying and then they check the number and realize it's not their unit and they are on the wrong floor or in the wrong section because of how identical they look. My mom has done it too. I never have because I lived in a tiny apartment complex so it was impossible to make this mistake.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 10:30 am

League_Girl wrote:
The fact she is a police officer, she should have noticed the details; different floor mat, different apartment number. And just imagine how a regular person would react without a weapon, would they just assault? I am betting by their body language they would see the "intruder" is confused and they would see instantly they are in the wrong apartment because of the furniture. You go "oops sorry, wrong apartment" and you walk out and the person living inside it would think "huh, what the...?" and not even react because the person left so no threat.

I am sure everyone has walked to the wrong apartment thinking it was theirs and they notice when their key isn't working and they keep trying and then they check the number and realize it's not their unit and they are on the wrong floor or in the wrong section because of how identical they look. My mom has done it too. I never have because I lived in a tiny apartment complex so it was impossible to make this mistake.

The owner (man killed) previously reported the door didn't shut all the way.

So, it was open when she arrived and she didn't need her electronic key to enter.

This is also why she drew her gun prior to entering.

Had it worked, this might of all been avoided.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 10:52 am

I hope after this they fixed those latches.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 11:12 am

Fnord wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
One of the reasons that she got convicted of murder instead of manslaughter was her unpopularity with the jury. Because she was having an affair with a married man, this made her look bad and that weighed heavily on whether or not the jury believed her testimony.
Oh, yes. The forensic evidence had nothing to do with her conviction. Neither did her confession on the witness stand. It was all about the fact that she was taking some other woman's baloney pony on a ride around the race track.

:roll:
Thats not what was meant at all,but the believability of her side of the story was critical in this case.The fact she did not perform CPR and texted her boyfriend before calling 911 coupled with the fact that she was sleeping with a married man made her look bad and hurt her credibilty on the wittness stand.
I don't recall much forensic evidence being an issue being that who shot who was never in dispute,forensics is key in finding a suspect if you don't have one or proving a suspect was at the scene of the crime.

It was never in despute who was at the scene of the crime or who shot whom,it was a sitiuation of the prosecutions version of events and the defenses version of events,and the jury found Guyger imoral of charactor and did not believe her version of events

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 1:07 pm

Racist text messages by Amber Guyger were read into evidence at her sentencing hearing today.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 2:29 pm

I've gone to the wrong door in a hotel, never an apartment complex. Small things become identifiers whether we want them to or not, even the length of time it takes to drive from the entrance and park the car. If she had just moved into the complex I might be more likely to believe it. I don't know if they mentioned how long she had lived there. I haven't seen it mentioned in the articles I've read.

She missed a bright red doormat! If she is that unobservant, what else has she missed?

I'm probably jaded, in fact I know I am. But, I'm not buying it. Nobody has the right to walk around, not paying attention to anything but their own interests. That would be like me disregarding speed zones in my neighborhood and running over someone's child on my street. I might not have intended to do it, but my carelessness resulted in the death of someone's child. There should be stronger consequences for a cop.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 2:39 pm

Nobody has the right to walk around, not paying attention, especially when they are trained to be observant and are armed and trigger happy.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 2:47 pm

EzraS wrote:
Nobody has the right to walk around, not paying attention, especially when they are trained to be observant and are armed and trigger happy.

Agreed

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 2:51 pm

EzraS wrote:
Nobody has the right to walk around, not paying attention...
Last time I checked the freeways, travelling while stupid was a "right" that too many people seem to enjoy.
EzraS wrote:
... especially when they are trained to be observant ...
Not a mitigating factor.
EzraS wrote:
... and are armed ...
Please re-read the Second Amendment.
EzraS wrote:
... and trigger happy.
Bingo. No one has the "right" to be trigger-happy, not even trained and duly-sworn officers of the law. That's why prison is the only option in this case. I'm glad to see it, too.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 2:55 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Fnord wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Thats not what was meant at all...
I was being sarcastic. Every piece of evidence and every word of testimony must be considered, even if it is includes the behavior of the accused before, during, and after the crime.

Just ask the members of the infamous Manson "family".

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 3:13 pm

Fnord wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Fnord wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
I was being sarcastic. Every piece of evidence and every word of testimony must be considered, even if it is includes the behavior of the accused before, during, and after the crime.

I think a christian fundamentalist Dallas jury convicted her of being a bad person and ignored evidence that pointed toward manslaughter,which is what she was really guilty of.

I think her actions were incredibly reckless but they did not rise to premeditated murder

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 3:38 pm

Quote:
I've gone to the wrong door in a hotel

Here is a funny story, my parents took me to the Edmonton Mall as my 19th birthday present and we also went to Banff. We were staying in Red Lodge and we went swimming there and then I went back to my hotel. I didn't have my key so I knocked to be let in and someone answers and it's that lady who we saw at the swimming pool and my parents and her interacted, I walk in thinking she was just visiting my parents and she said "Wrong room" and I said "oops" and walked back out and she laughed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 3:41 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Fnord wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Fnord wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

I think a christian fundamentalist Dallas jury convicted her of being a bad person and ignored evidence that pointed toward manslaughter,which is what she was really guilty of.

I think her actions were incredibly reckless but they did not rise to premeditated murder

She admitted she fired two shots with the intent to kill him.

Manslaughter is when you didn't mean it.

So, it was either murder or self-defense, but she did mean to kill him; it was not an accident.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 3:41 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Quote:
I've gone to the wrong door in a hotel

Here is a funny story, my parents took me to the Edmonton Mall as my 19th birthday present and we also went to Banff. We were staying in Red Lodge and we went swimming there and then I went back to my hotel. I didn't have my key so I knocked to be let in and someone answers and it's that lady who we saw at the swimming pool and my parents and her interacted, I walk in thinking she was just visiting my parents and she said "Wrong room" and I said "oops" and walked back out and she laughed.

;)