Eating Red Meat Is Not Bad For You Anymore.

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 8:06 am

“We have saturated the market with warnings about the dangers of red meat. It would be hard to find someone who doesn’t “know” that experts think we should all eat less. Continuing to broadcast that fact, with more and more shaky studies touting potential small relative risks, is not changing anyone’s mind."

The study provides an example of what we should be doing in communicating nutritional information. This study takes that decision back from the policymakers and puts it squarely in the hands of individuals. People choose to not eat meat for a variety of reasons, their health, ethical concerns over animal welfare or intelligence, and the environmental impact of industrial-scale farming. It is your call, but the health benefit appears to be overhyped.

Source: The Red Meat Controversy: Where's The Beef?

So the result of this study is that eating red meat isn't going to kill you or dramatically affect your health; nor is not eating red meat. It is recommending eating red meat in moderation.

It is your personal choice. The health benefits (pro and con) appear to be overhyped. It is a non-issue.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 6:33 pm

Good, bad, I've never stopped eating red meat.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 6:58 pm

I don't eat red meat very often. Ever since the first Mad Cow scare about twenty years ago I've quit eating factory farm beef. I also stopped eating venison for the same reason since my area now has cases of CWD (chronic wasting disease). I do occasionally eat grass fed beef and pork purchased from an organic farm about an hour from where I live. Otherwise it's chicken raised by my Dad and "harvested" by both of us.

"Ain't nothing but a stranger in this world
I'm nothing but a stranger in this world" -Van Morrison

"Are you Bluish? You don't look Bluish."

AQ-43 (32-50 indicates a strong likelihood of Asperger syndrome or autism).
EQ-14 out of 80
Rdos: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 173 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 3:02 am

Don't really know what to make of this whole story, but here's a pretty thorough analysis of the situation from the Los Angeles Times:

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2 ... guidelines

Lots of people have immediately jumped to dismiss the new study because they claim the researchers have a financial interest, but everybody on the other side also has a financial interest. From the LATimes:

The nutrition establishment went ballistic [when this new study was published]. Even before publication of the Annals papers, 14 heavyweights in the field signed a letter demanding a preemptive “retraction” of the review. All the signers were members of a group called the True Health Initiative that advocates for a plant-based diet. Many of them recommend plant-based diets in their research papers, which rely heavily on epidemiology. Some are financially conflicted.... [T]he True Health Initiative letter signers included five epidemiologists from Harvard’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health, which in 2017-18 received hundreds of thousands of dollars from walnut and peanut industry groups; the walnut group is cited as a donor for the previous five years. At least nine Harvard papers in five years have supported the health benefits of nuts.

If they want the paper censored, that immediately makes me think they're the ones engaged in a coverup of phony research. But who knows. Outside of Congress, medicine is the biggest organized criminal industry in the country.

There Are Four Lights!

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 5:53 pm

World Health Organization a couple of years ago, after going through many international studies over many years, already confirmed that processed meats are a definite carcinogen, and red meat is a probable carcinogen. I will go with what the World Health Organization said, than a newspaper article.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 5:54 pm

I still eat my steaks and beefburgers......

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 6:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I still eat my steaks and beefburgers......

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

DoTheTw1zt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2019, 6:49 pm

There's room for all God's creatures on my plate. :chef:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 6:55 pm

I'll have burger or steak once in a while. Or pork once in a while. Usually it's chicken or fish. Although I heard they are saying chicken isn't any safer than beef. And of course fish is full of mercury. It think it's going to lead to everyone being on a government approved staple called Soylent Green. (some of you younger folks might not get the refference)

DoTheTw1zt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2019, 6:57 pm

EzraS wrote:
I'll have burger or steak once in a while. Or pork once in a while. Usually it's chicken or fish. Although I heard they are saying chicken isn't any safer than beef. And of course fish is full of mercury. It think it's going to lead to everyone being on a government approved staple called Soylent Green. (some of you younger folks might not get the refference)

I've never seen that movie yet even I get the reference: "Soylant Green is made from people!" :mrgreen: