trumpy, responding to killing of UK teen, says "it happens."

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 8:20 am

Ezra - I don't think they'd have been confused. Previously they'd driven in the Belgian Congo , which I believe was a 'drive on the right hand side of the road' country.

Last edited by firemonkey on 10 Oct 2019, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 8:22 am

If she doesn't go back she will likely be a pariah for the rest of her life here in the US.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 8:23 am

Also why are there 2 of the same threads here,can we move down to one.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 8:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The feel this is an important lesson on what happens if you flee the scene of an accident.

Had she remained at the scene, it’s possible that the driver might have just gotten a ticket. Unless the driver was drunk, “vehicular manslaughter” probably would have been really stretching it. Most likely, the driver would have been charged with reckless driving and probably been given a non-jail sentence.

Since she left the scene of a fatal accident, the case becomes much more serious.

I am not seeing anywhere that she fled the scene of the accident.

As a matter of fact I read that; "She has not been accused of any criminal wrongdoing at this point."

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 8:25 am

firemonkey wrote:
Ezra - I don't think they'd have been confused. Previously they'd driven in the Belgian Congo , which I believe was a 'drive on the right hand side of the road' country.

Like I said, that's good for them. But does that mean the same applies to everyone else?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 8:40 am

I thought she fled the scene. If I'm wrong, I'm glad.

All the more reason to forget this "diplomatic immunity" crap.

If she wasn't drunk, the worst thing that will happen to her is the adverse publicity.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 8:52 am

I am a slow reader so I have not absorbed it all. But apparently what happened is after she was released from the scene of the accident, some time later on the police went to her home to inform her that the victim had died, and at that time found out she had left the country.

Also appearntly she was urged to do so by someone.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 8:55 am

She should still go back and face it. And ask for forgiveness from the teenager's family. And tell the truth about what happened.

I'm not going to be one to pillory her and put on in the stocks. I advocate that true justice be done---without all that publicity crap.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 9:00 am

I agree. My saying I read she had been urged to flee was just reporting what I read so far. I was not implying that exonerated her in any way.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 9:03 am

Is there "diplomatic immunity" for civil cases, too?

I feel like the outcome of the civil case might be much worse punishment than the outcome of the criminal case.

Even so, for her self-respect, she should go back to England.

it's possible that the outcome of the civil case might be better if she resolves the criminal case.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 9:52 am

Again not meaning to give her any kind of pass maybe as the spouse of a diplomat, rather than being one, she is doing what she is being told to do. Like the whole leave the country and diplomatic immunity thing was not her idea.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 10:00 am

I understand what you mean.

It might not exactly be under her control.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 6:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
She should really face prosecution—to keep her self-respect.

Forget this “diplomatic immunity” crap.

And keep away the publicity and allow justice to run its course.

Being from New York home of the UN we know that diplomats and their entourages get away with all types of crime small and large at New York taxpayers expense due to diplomatic immunity.

On the other hand with no diplomatic immunity diplomats will be jailed on trumped-up charges in other words they will often become hostages in a game of you jailed our diplomats, we will jail twice as many of yours.

There has got to be a happy medium somewhere but I have no clue what it is.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 6:31 pm

EzraS wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Think about a situation where family member gets killed by a drunk driver or something....and some therapist or other just says: “That’s life.”

Trump made a diplomatic gaffe. He came across as being insensitive.

I don't think that's the way he meant it. It's a common tragic mistake. It happens all too often. It could happen to many people.

Let the American driver who can say with absolute certainly that they could never get confused and make the same mistake, cast the first stone.

I would never get confused & make the same mistake, namely because I would have to shift with my left hand.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 1:13 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Of course people make mistakes. I’m sure the person who hit the teenager feels terrible.
I don’t believe in “diplomatic immunity.” It’s an absurd concept.
I believe, should the driver face justice, that in the absence of publicity, most judges would practice leniency.
If I had done the same thing, I would have had to face the music.

Kraftie, diplomatic immunity is not an absurd concept, it's an essential concept without which the world (in it's present arrangement) would not function very well.
However, that it CAN be used, does not necessitate it MUST be used on every occasion.
What diplomatic immunity is intended for is to stop bad faith nations with corrupt legal systems from pressuring a diplomat to betray his country by threatening either him or his loved ones, with trumped up charges.

What diplomatic immunity is not intended for is letting people flee without consequence when they run someone over.

And in my opinion, mature nations ought not to abuse it in this manner.

However the whole question of diplomatic immunity is moot as this woman DOES NOT, and HAS NEVER HELD, diplomatic immunity.
https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives ... -diplomat/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 7:19 am

I understand what you mean, SpiceWolf.