Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2019, 9:30 am

https://www.yang2020.com/

I only found 1 old topic about him on here. What do you all think of him? I agree with a lot of his policies and I think UBI would be great for many of us here, especially those of us that can't work at all or can only get low paying jobs. UBI would change my life and the lives of a lot of poor people.

One of his sons is autistic.

https://www.yang2020.com/policies/autis ... n-funding/

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2019, 10:18 am

hanyo wrote:
https://www.yang2020.com/

I only found 1 old topic about him on here. What do you all think of him? I agree with a lot of his policies and I think UBI would be great for many of us here, especially those of us that can't work at all or can only get low paying jobs. UBI would change my life and the lives of a lot of poor people.

One of his sons is autistic.

https://www.yang2020.com/policies/autis ... n-funding/

I don't like the idea of it, not because it doesn't sound good but because it has the potential to lower the worth of every one thousand dollars. If people were to take it serious, I would say it would be much better to just give those below 20 thousand a year the 12,000 a year, esle it's going to inflate taxes which will lower the value of 1000 in general. Corparations aren't going to take kind to paying for it so some of them would take their business to other countries which will lower employment. Vat taxes added are direct taxes, so people pay more tax on things they purchase which devalues money.

JonWood007
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2019, 9:38 pm

I am a tentative yang supporter but am switching back and forth between him and bernie. I like UBI, but I also like sanders' medicare for all idea. Bernie doesnt like UBI, and Yang backed off of single payer healthcare so I'm split.

I will say I think his implementation of UBI is quite sloppy and needs work. The numbers don't add up well. I think that if he gets into office he would need to rework his numbers so I'm hoping his plan is kind of a first draft, but yeah.

I think he's a good candidate bringing attention to issues that otherwise wouldnt be discussed and is basically shifting the overton window in the direction of UBI. I don't think he's perfect but he's one of my personal favorites right now.

RDOS: NT- 93, ND- 119

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2019, 10:08 pm

He seems a little too on the fringe to make a big impact in 2020

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 1:34 am

cyberdad wrote:
He seems a little too on the fringe to make a big impact in 2020

At the very least though, he has succeeded in bringing the idea of UBI to the table...I understand it is potentially unlikely he will get the democratic nomination, but if not at least he has started an important conversation.

I mean I do worry its kind of like that part in Back to the Future, where the main character played some electric guitar song at the dance in the 50s or whatever the time he went back to was but it was ahead of that time so the crowd was kind of shocked. Maybe at the moment UBI is similar.

I do feel old referencing a movie that was already old by the time I saw it but there it is.

Or the people who weren't ready for Black Sabbath when they started playing such dark and heavy music and now metal is a huge worldwide phenomenon.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 1:39 am

JonWood007 wrote:
I am a tentative yang supporter but am switching back and forth between him and bernie. I like UBI, but I also like sanders' medicare for all idea. Bernie doesnt like UBI, and Yang backed off of single payer healthcare so I'm split.

I will say I think his implementation of UBI is quite sloppy and needs work. The numbers don't add up well. I think that if he gets into office he would need to rework his numbers so I'm hoping his plan is kind of a first draft, but yeah.

I think he's a good candidate bringing attention to issues that otherwise wouldnt be discussed and is basically shifting the overton window in the direction of UBI. I don't think he's perfect but he's one of my personal favorites right now.

I am starting to have more mixed feelings about bernie, like I like what he says what he stands for....but I can't help feeling like some of his base is getting a bit toxic. Like its bernie or no one for them and not sure he's doing enough to discourage that attitude. I mean if he doesn't get the nomination I am worried some of his supports just wont vote and that is the worst thing they can do.

Maybe its just paranoia, but just not sure about bernie this time around. For now I certainly feel more supportive of Andrew Yang.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 2:39 am

UBI is an interesting idea and could be great, but I wonder about the practical political realities. Replacing all existing social welfare programs with UBI means only one thing needs to be reduced or cut to reduce or end it all.

The current Repub. strategy is to massively cut taxes and then say that there's not enough money for social programs and people have been falling for it for a long time. If UBI became as sacred as Social Security it'd be safe, but I have no idea if that would happen. The lies and propaganda about it would be thick. Like the SS trust fund being made up of "worthless IOU's," lol.

I like the idea, though, as long as it gets implemented and managed honestly.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 5:01 am

The closest thing we had to UBI was Ausstudy in Australia and NZstudy in New Zealand.

It was a basically a wage paid to students who studied in university which allowed a income to live away from home. Many of the current conservative ministers who jettisoned this policy (because it was considered too expensive) were themselves recipients of a free (paid) education but now want to introduce upfront fees like in US colleges.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 5:03 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
At the very least though, he has succeeded in bringing the idea of UBI to the table...I understand it is potentially unlikely he will get the democratic nomination, but if not at least he has started an important conversation.

Why is he interested in autism?

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

29 Apr 2019, 1:25 pm

I like some of his polices.

Some, however, are absurd. Like lowering the voting age to 16.

I do like his support for nuclear power.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2019, 9:38 am

BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:

Why not lower the voting age?

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2019, 11:26 am

Arganger wrote:
BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:

Why not lower the voting age?

Because kids vote based on color or who their friends voted for or who seems better looking etc.
When I was that old o voted Democrat cause my favorite color is blue. Kids today aren’t any better. Apparently according to Democrats people aren’t adult or responsible enough until 21, so if anything it should be raised not lowered.

Do you want elections to be a popularity contest like electing the prom queen and king?

JonWood007
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2019, 3:56 pm

Quote:
I am starting to have more mixed feelings about bernie, like I like what he says what he stands for....but I can't help feeling like some of his base is getting a bit toxic. Like its bernie or no one for them and not sure he's doing enough to discourage that attitude. I mean if he doesn't get the nomination I am worried some of his supports just wont vote and that is the worst thing they can do.

Maybe its just paranoia, but just not sure about bernie this time around. For now I certainly feel more supportive of Andrew Yang.

TBH I wouldnt write bernie off because his voters are toxic, the dude has a lot of great ideas.

Regardless, while I generally associate with bernie or busters and do have the kinds of purity tests many bernie supporters have toward candidates on policies, when I see these guys go after yang, I tend to get mad. They go a bit far and start making ridiculous strawmen against his policies.

So I've definitely noticed some toxicity recently and it's quite annoying.

Still like the guy though. But yang is also really good.

RDOS: NT- 93, ND- 119

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 1:19 pm

cyberdad wrote:

One of his kids is autistic.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 7:08 pm

hanyo wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

One of his kids is autistic.

Yang 2020 Webpage - Fund Autism Intervention
Quote:
One of my boys is on the autism spectrum—I know how invaluable resources and intervention can be, particularly if adopted early on. Families struggle with this in very personal ways. As a country, we should provide ample resources to parents to be able to intervene to support the development of children with autism or who are exceptional in other ways. Many of these children have something unique to offer.

As President, I will…

Direct the Department of Education to support states (with information and funding) in implementing programs to identify and treat autistic children.
Destigmatize autism and related neurological profiles as commonplace and distinct.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BAP_Buddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jul 2019, 7:20 pm

I happened to read his twitter, and found this:

https://twitter.com/AndrewYang/status/1148741159403044864

"People with dyslexia often make great entrepreneurs. Their struggles in school often drive them toward different approaches to solving problems and making connections. Our neurodiversity should be celebrated not discouraged."