"Baby It's Cold Outside" #MeToo era cover

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 7:11 pm

John Legend, Kelly Clarkson remake 'Baby, It's Cold Outside' to focus on consent

Quote:
John Legend has teamed up with fellow "Voice" coach to remake a classic Christmas song. The song was featured in a recent Vanity Fair interview with the singer.

Written by Frank Loesser in 1944, the classic Christmas duet is about a man who tries to convince a woman to spend the night at his place, because it's too cold to leave. The woman gives a series of excuses why she must go. Over the years, the duet has been performed by a number of famous duos, including Louis Armstrong and Velma Middleton, Ray Charles and Better Carter and Lady Gaga and Joseph-Gordon Levitt.

The author of the Vanity Fair article, Karen Valby, describes the song as a "date-rapey" choice for Legend to choose to play. However, Legend reveals that there are new lyrics to this version, written by him and Natasha Rothwell and performed by him and Kelly Clarkson.

"What will my friends think..." Clarkson sings.

"I think they should rejoice," Legend responds

"...if I have one more drink," Clarkson continues

"It's your body, and your choice," Legend adds.

The original line in the song had the woman sing "Say, what's in this drink?" and has been receiving more and more backlash in recent years. In 2018, several radio stations decided to take the song off air.

However, supporters of the song point out the song needs to be read through the lens of its time, when when were not allowed to be openly sexual. In 2018, Chris Wilman wrote in Variety that the song is "feminist, really" saying the song "is the story of a woman doing battle — not with a guy who won’t take no for an answer, but with the expectations of a society that won’t take yes for an answer." The woman wants to stay, but cannot overtly express her sexuality, and the man is giving her the appropriate excuses she needs in order to stay without guilt.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 7:13 pm

I used to like the original song when I was young, but now it gives me the creeps.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 8:15 pm

I love the song. But, like everything else lately it can't just be what it was, it has to be in NOW context and ruined. I love Zoe Deschanel's version from Elf.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Laeril
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Oct 2019, 9:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
I used to like the original song when I was young, but now it gives me the creeps.

Same here. Curse you, loss of innocence!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 2:11 am

My parents loved Sonny and Cher's version

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 11:45 am

I guess the question is: which version is more revolting: the original, or this new version! :lol:

They both have appeal, but both have non appeal. But for contrasting reasons.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 1:53 pm

I prefer the original. Never mess with the classics.

Besides, I don’t people are going to hear it and start raping people.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 6:13 pm

The original even has the girl singer singing "hey whats in this drink?". In our post Bill Cosby world that kinda gives you the creeps.

But this cure is worse than the disease.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 5:53 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The original even has the girl singer singing "hey whats in this drink?". In our post Bill Cosby world that kinda gives you the creeps.

But this cure is worse than the disease.
As I remember it the expression was not literally about spiking a drink in order to rape somebody. It had a similar meaning to “what was I thinking”. As a young adult I used that expression as a joking deflection when I did something stupid.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran