A lonely autistic boy ask "Would someone like me?"

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 8:41 pm

A Florida mother’s viral tweet about her lonely autistic son asking if people would “like” him has inspired a flood of messages of support from strangers online.

Kerry Bloch’s 21-year-old son, David, had been nonverbal most of his life and had grown lonely after developing severe immunodeficiency disorder that caused him to be home-schooled and isolated from other kids in Neptune Beach.

David, who speaks only when prompted, gave his parents, Kerry and Robert, quite the surprise when he spontaneously asked them a question for the first time: “Would someone like me?”

When Bloch took to Twitter to share a picture of David and his heartfelt question, she didn’t expect it would garner thousands of retweets and responses from people around the world.

“Tell David, he has a friend from London... and my family. Much love,” one user tweeted with a picture of himself and his three children.

Many other responses came from people who also have loved ones with autism.

“My son is Autistic too. He's 30 years old and works a part time job on the local Navy base, he assembles lens for glasses,” tweeted another user. “We [love] you David!”

“Oh, my goodness. This is so beautiful! Your son gives me hope. My nephew (8) is also autistic and nonverbal, and works SO HARD every day,” another person wrote. “We love him so fiercely and pray he will find his voice. What an inspiration you are! What a hero!”

Bloch told Fox News she and she and her family are “overwhelmed” by the online support. “The outpouring of love for our son is mind-boggling,” she said.

Though the replies continue to flood Bloch's post, she said they are still trying to thank everyone individually.

“David doesn’t ever want to leave anyone out,” she said. “But it might take a while.”

Source: Mom posts lonely autistic son asking 'Would someone like me?,' draws viral support

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 9:02 pm

Yep. I really enjoy these sorts of stories.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 9:54 pm

That is a cool story.

Personally I would get overwhelmed by that much attention.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 4:39 am

...Maybe I'm just a negative person, but I couldn't help but think if those words from all those people actually mean anything. I mean, it's easy to just type something with your computer/phone, feel good about yourself for doing a good deed and then go on with your life.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 5:50 am

Fireblossom wrote:
...Maybe I'm just a negative person, but I couldn't help but think if those words from all those people actually mean anything. I mean, it's easy to just type something with your computer/phone, feel good about yourself for doing a good deed and then go on with your life.

No, I'm with you. If anything it might give him a skewed view of friendship, since that is not friendship.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 6:31 am

That's a very wonderful story. We need more stories like this.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 7:55 pm

Fireblossom wrote:

At the very least the encouragement from other parents and well wishers would give some lift for the mother. The boy would also feel happy that people are communicating with him online.

There are good people out there, the problem is that we tend to focus on the few unfriendly types and attribute that behavior to the rest of society. We are all guilty of misattribution.

Hope the kid finds friends who are willing to visit him

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 10:06 pm

Why is a 21 year old man being called a boy?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 10:16 pm

EzraS wrote:

I mean't it an antebellum southern way :lol:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 11:23 pm

So sad that our brothers and sisters are so isolated.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 3:34 am

EzraS wrote:

If he's mentally in the level of a child then it's not all that weird, or at least I don't think so.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 4:47 am

Fireblossom wrote:
EzraS wrote:

If he's mentally in the level of a child then it's not all that weird, or at least I don't think so.

I'm not upset with jimmy m or cyberdad and not trying to admonish. All the same an intellectually disabled man is still a man. If that man is actually even ID.

Last edited by EzraS on 04 Nov 2019, 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 5:16 am

HighLlama wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:

No, I'm with you. If anything it might give him a skewed view of friendship, since that is not friendship.

I mean perhaps I am bitter but I also kind of feel that way, like its nice on the surface but is it so much so deeper down. I mean I hate to say it but some people do be 'nice' to people just to get credit for it without actually considering the feelings and experiences of the disabled person they are trying to help. I mean if they are just doing it for points they aren't really helping the person are they.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 8:53 am

I'm wondering if he was asking if someone would like him romantically irl.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 8:55 am

I don't sense that, actually.

I remember, as a little kid, wondering whether anyone would "like" me. No kid actually "liked" me until maybe high school. And even during high school, very few fellow kids "liked" me. The people who "liked" me were usually adults.

I am aware that the guy is 21 years old---but I still sense he means "like" in the more universal sense.